Question on installing new Seatbelts

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on installing new Seatbelts

I purchased 2 new front seatbelts recently and am hoping to get around to installing this weekend (along with the sunroof seal I've been procrastinating about for so long!)

Question: Is it necessary to remove the entire rear panels to install or is there a clever way like through the speaker wells or something?

Thanks,

--H

Last edited by Kahdmus; 01-14-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:21 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 468 Posts
Exclamation hopefully helpful advice...

H--
It's fairly easy to get that panel off the side - I did it on my cabrio, and I would think the panel is the same for coupe or cabrio. The panel has a securing screw, then the whole panel comes off including the speaker that's attached to it. You won't be able to reach the seatbelt from the speaker - at least I don't think you could undo its attachment.

In the picture below you can see the belt "roll" at the bottom, below the cabrio transmission. That cover panel is removed by undoing the set screw (hard to find, but it's in there in the carpet hiding about halfway down, on the part ahead of the rear shelves if you have the storage bins), then take your fingers and "slide" the front side of the panel towards the rear of the car to disengage the front-most lip of the panel that's tucked under the plastic trim panel, then pull the whole panel up and out. Then you should have access to the belt "roll".

I hope that's helpful! Good luck!
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great news, this sounds simple enough, thanks Garrett!

Hopefully come Monday, I'll have a leak-free sunroof and a pair of front seat belts that retract at a decent pace!

--Howard
Old 01-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Kahdmus
Great news, this sounds simple enough, thanks Garrett!
Famous last words....

Well, I have a (hopefully) leak free sunroof, but didn't get to the seatbelts, as after spending an hour or more of searching, I'm somewhat embarrased to admit that I couldnt find the screw(s) to release the rear panels!

can anyone supply a picture or a measurement to help me find the blasted thing?!

Cheers,

--Howard
Old 01-20-2004, 05:41 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Howard, if you're looking to remove the rear side panels there are no screws (after you've removed the trim piece that runs across the top of the panel that is) - there is a metal clip toward the rear about 2cm wide and 3cm long that runs through a bracket in the bodywork to hold the rear of the panel in place. The front is held in place by the trim on the 'B' post. Just work the rear of the trim panel upward while pulling the whole panel away from the 'B' post and it will come out easily. Very simple when you see it in your hands
Old 01-20-2004, 06:53 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Howard - I will take a picture of where my screw was present; if I remember it was below my rear speaker grille, towards the front of the car. I actually removed the panel without realizing that screw was present - I ended up pulling it through the panel; that's how I know the screw was there!

I will post a pic later today; I have surgery for 3 more hours, but will do "surgery" on the car later if you still need it by then!
Old 01-20-2004, 06:55 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Now that I see... there may be a difference with a cabrio and a couple as David appears to be pointing out...

I'll take a pic anyways if you want!
Old 01-21-2004, 09:03 AM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

I suspect you're right about the coupe/cab difference. I should have made life easier last night and posted a picture but was enjoying watching Arsenal lose too much (football with a round ball) on TV.

You can see the clip at the lower left edge. The hole to the right is where the seatbelt passes through, and the two screws on an '89 at least are for the plastic clip that you can press the belt buckle into when not in use. The right edge fits into the 'B' post trim and the clip holds the rear in place.

Hope that helps,
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference is that the cab has speakers in these panels - probably why there's a screw.

Cheers
Old 01-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have speakers in my coupe panels too! It does not look like this...hmmmmmm....

Thanks David! BTW, I'm from Cheshire...Man U fan actually - not quite sure why they insist on calling their sport "Football" over here!! LOL!

Cheers,

--HB
Old 01-21-2004, 04:13 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

> It does not look like this...

Oh dear

> I'm from Cheshire...Man U fan actually

Is that allowed? Weren't you a bit local to support United?
Old 01-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DavidI
> Is that allowed? Weren't you a bit local to support United?

Beautiful!!!!

(why do you think I had to move to California...)
Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, still not succeeded getting the panel off and feeling a bit stupid tbo!

I therefore decided to install a new OE handbrake to replace my nasty marked and aged one. It took about 45 minutes and was straightforward although I broke the copper contact plate for the handbrake sensor so had to order a new one! All in all a satisfying experience.

I have new console pieces arriving next week plus a shift boot kit so I'll be all spiffy in no time!! :-)

One day I'll have new seatbelts too!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 12:12 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Where did you order your shift boot kit? I got mine from the UK - from type-911.com. Just curious!
Old 01-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi garrett, I actually tried to order from type-911.co.uk as well, however they were out of my color so advised me to go to AGLA in FL. In actual fact AGLA is apparently the main supplier to type-911 as well as many other places that sell online. Their Customer Service was simply EXCELLENT!!!!!

It cost $54, plus $12 for color, plus $6/7 S&H. So about $73 all told!

I also ordered new trays for the center console - rear one is cracked and front one has a cigarette burn from the PO (YUK!) In addition I ordered a new steering wheel badge for $30 ($20 Rennlist discount)from ajusa.com - My 3 spoke steering wheel has a gold, tacky looking porsche crest on it which I have removed. I will clean up the wheel with some colored leather cream (mild dye) and then bolt on the new crest.

Its really quite moot to be doing all this as I really need to replace my disgusting carpet, cracked seats and torn rear panel anyway, but want to get that taken care of at the same time to ensure color consistency and I'm just am not ready to lay out the necessary funds quite yet! It just makes me feel better to be doing "something!" for my poor, previously abused car! LOL!

Cheers,

--H

Quick Reply: Question on installing new Seatbelts