Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 03:12 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howard, re the handbrake -

Are there some spacers/washers/bushes around the pivot point?

Since I had mine removed to get it reconnolised, it seems a bit sloppy from side to side. I haven't got around to investigating (I must post a pic of my garage again and you'll see why!) but it feels like there's something like that missing.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi JB - V.Wierd...thought I had answered this post! (must have forgot to click 'submit') sorry!

No - there was nothing, no washers or spacers etc - just the pin and retaining clip on the end.

Mine is now also a little wiggly from side to side whearas I am sure it was tighter before!

If you look at the diagram you can see that there is just the pin to hold the handle and allow it to pivot and a pin to hold the end of the cable:

You can of course tighted the cable to make your handbrake come on faster ( nut# 26) in the diagram..maybe this would give it some extra rigidity as a well?

If you find the answer let me know! In the meantime, I will be revisiting this to install the contact plate for the sensor that I broke whilst doing the install, so perhaps I'll have time to play around and see if I can get it a bit tighter!

Cheers,

--H
Old 01-24-2004, 02:40 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks, Howard.

I knew I'd asked you something, but I couldn't remember what. Or where!
Old 01-24-2004, 02:46 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Maybe if we pinched together the sides of the brass mounting bracket around the pivot point...
Old 01-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Possibly...although I expect there only needs to be a tiny bit of slackness to produce the play that we are both experiencing!

I am wondering if just the cable being pulled on so much during the reinstallation of the handle would cause the cable to slacken a tiny bit and therefore its steadying influence on the handle would be reduced...perhaps, just tightening nut #26 would steady the horizontal play in the handle as well as reducing the travel necessary to engage the brake?

Quick Reply: Question on installing new Seatbelts