Sponsored by:

Feedback on Lenz Engine Management

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 10:04 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on Lenz Engine Management

Been wanting to update my antiquated engine management system for some time but could not find a tuner that was fully competent. They usually get WOT right and it's great fun but all the other bits that make the car drivable when you come down from cloud 9 like cold start, idling, part throttle, etc all gets screwy....at least that's what been happenning to a few that have changed their engine mangement - autronic, motec, etc.

Read up on the Lenz system and it looks fabulous - pre programmed MAPS for everything and still user programmable (by authorised shops) - which is great as I will reprogram only WOT. Before I take the plunge, anyone has feedback on the system?
Old 01-14-2004, 05:49 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the tuner is more important than the hardware. Most of the systems are flexible nough to cope with the n/a 3.6, but the results depend on the experience & skill of the guy/gal mapping it all. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I drove a 3.2 Carrera with the Lenz system. It was wicked and had remendous torque.

I almost went with one mine and am still considering it. After I dyno, if I am 290 or less, I may get it.

You need to have access to a shop with a Lambda (???) from what I was told. You will aparrently see great gains with just the bolt ons, but to get claimed hp, you need access to a Lambda (???) for tuning once the system is installed.

To get it perfectly tuneed and to get the full hp claims, I was told that this Lambda
Old 01-14-2004, 08:36 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Doug, is that what you heard from Lenz? By Lambda I assume they mean O2 sensor and tune for fuel mix - that's easy.but shouldn't make a whole load of difference if ignition timing is not changed. I am interested in the Lenz system because I thought they would have the MAPS pretty much sorted out and all I had to do was squeeze the last few hp by tuning WOT on a dyno.

What have you heard the system gives right out of the box with no additional tuning?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dennis remember each engine is going to be a little different (and so the gas) and will require fiddling with to get right on a Dyno and using a good Lamda probe with someone who knows how to use it correctly.
I pulled this off the net - it's an 89 Fuel and Ignition DME map (stock) which shows the parameters that need to be set for the car (think +/- 5% on each for a setup on a dyno)

Last edited by Cupcar#12; 01-14-2004 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:43 AM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also contemplated a Lenz engine management. Lenz is quite close to were I live (200km) and it seems like a good alternative to the Motec system. However, price is high and therefore I may rather go for the shorter ring and pinion which will complement my G50 20 sixspeeder nicely. Afterall, I have 290 hp at the lightweight flywheel already. And short gearing will help me stay in the power band more easily.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:17 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Rob,
Yes will definitely retune for WOT. For the rest of driving situations like part throttle, cold start, idling, etc I can live with the approximation since I am already doing that with stock DME (albeit with RUF chip). WOT is where the power would be required most and this is also usually the easiest to tune on a dyno.

Anatol,
I think one would save quite a fair bit on labour with Lenz plus there would be a good base map to start with. Starting from scratch on a motec is a nightmare unless you can get a proper base map downloded from someone that has already done the job right before.

How much did they quote you on the PowerKat...without the Cat
Old 01-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Pzull, as you can tell, I know little about this stuff. I am just conveying information told to me. I was told that I may have to take my car or send my car to Nebraska or wherever they are lcoated to get the full benefit of the package (Lambda testing stuff). They, however, did say that the bolt ons would give most of the hp, but that the last 10 hp or so would requiring tweeking.

I was quoted $ 5K on their 310 hp kit, which is a bargain considering what has otherwise been spent on my car for about the same or less. The 340 hp version with the new cams though may be the way to go. My internals would probably take it as I was told I have updated rods and etc. It may have been sales pitch, but my shop said I was the perfect canidate for the 340 hp kit. Still waiting on price though.

Quick Reply: Feedback on Lenz Engine Management