Sponsored by:

Removing Tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 11:14 PM
botoo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Tachometer

Upon removing the tachometer to replace the OBC bulb or clean the contacts, I find that the tach. is pinched between the upper dash and steering wheel and won't come out.

Somewhere I recall reading that moving the steering wheel or dash to remove the tach was necessary, but I can't find it now.

Any help in getting the tach. completely out would be appreciated, before I waste a bunch of time in doing this and maybe cause further problems.

ps: I wish I had Adrian's book, however my source has not received it yet.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 01-10-2004, 11:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,251 Posts

It may not be recommended but I have always found that with a little patience and a gentle hand you can wiggle the tach out without removing the tach.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich, sorry to say but while, IRRC, you can get the non-OBC tach out without removing the wheel - I've never been able to get the deeper OBC version in or out without removing the wheel. The standard one comes out, again IIRC, with a bit of a wiggle here and there
Old 01-11-2004, 10:06 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to this technical article written by Tom Sharpes for the Pelican Parts website, you don't need to remove the wheel to get the tach out. Aparently, Tom obtained the necessary clearance by rotating the steering wheel 180 degrees.

If you want to remove the wheel, you'll first need a Torx 30 socket to remove the airbag (torque is 7 ft lbs). The two airbag screws are located at 3 and 9 o'clock on the back side of the wheel. Then remove the large nut which holds the wheel to the steering column, I think it's ~25mm. Reinstall at 32.5 ft lbs.

Caution: Disconnect the battery and let the car sit for at least 20 minutes before disconnecting the airbag.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by joey bagadonuts
According to this technical article written by Tom Sharpes for the Pelican Parts website, you don't need to remove the wheel to get the tach out. Aparently, Tom obtained the necessary clearance by rotating the steering wheel 180 degrees.

Joey, Tom's article works if you are removing the non-computer option tach. The tach with the OBC option is somewhat deeper and, well if you can get it out without removing the wheel then I don't know how!
Old 01-11-2004, 09:20 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, sorry if I seemed dismissive.

Yes, my only experience is with the non-OBC variety. Is it a deeper cylinder than pictured? If so, I can see how the wheel trick may not be sufficient. Thanks for the clarification, Ruairidh!
Old 01-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by joey bagadonuts
Oh, sorry if I seemed dismissive.
I didn't think you were being dismissive.

Here is a picture of the OBC tach (not the best angle but the only one I can quickly find of the back of it). Still you'll see it is a portly little beggar when compared to the non-OBC variant.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:21 AM
botoo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I found out that you CAN get the tach. (OBC model) out without removing the steering wheel or dash. Just push up on the dash and push down on the wheel and with force it will squeeze out, without harm.

Now for getting it into the dash hole properly again. ??

Thanks for the helpful posts,
Rich

Quick Reply: Removing Tachometer