Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like a flatbed fun time

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 06:40 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Pre or post doing the alternator belt repair? I should test to see what voltage we start getting the ABS light at so that others know directionally when a battery is approaching toast (I assume that's what you're looking for, right?)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:03 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

That would be interesting to learn, but we might also see something about the health of your alternator. On my car, the ABS light will stay on at battery voltage but not at working alternator voltage.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:13 PM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey! It's the Turtle! You finally got that D.Moris hardtop on. Nice. Car looks good.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:31 AM
dhc905
Banned

My boys at Sonnen got me my parts expedited so project commences!

Tested battery after pulling off tender at 12.57 V.

Will get the other readings assuming I can finish the job

Originally Posted by spartansix
That would be interesting to learn, but we might also see something about the health of your alternator. On my car, the ABS light will stay on at battery voltage but not at working alternator voltage.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:58 AM
dhc905
Banned

Ok can I ask a dumb question? Is the process of undoing the nut on the alternator shaft the most poorly designed thing ever?

I bought the the right tool even though a 10m 12-point would have worked just as well (as in not at all, at least in my case). Compound by the fact that there is nothing to brace or leverage either the shaft or the nut to get what should be a pretty darn secure nut.

the pelican instructions merely say "get the nut off." Fun part is I'm relatively confident that doing so, even with all the correct Porsche tools, either requires superhuman strength or some $200/hour magic.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:48 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
even with all the correct Porsche tools, either requires superhuman strength
You can buy two 2' sections of pipe for next to nothing at most hardware stores. They always come in handy, especially working on the suspension.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those darn mother in laws will jinx you every time
Old 08-04-2018, 06:31 PM
dhc905
Banned

I tried everything I could with what I had (note not 2' pipes) but making a job basically impossible without special tools, then making it also highly difficult with special tools unless you are a slumlords enforcer, seems highly un-porsche-like.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
You can buy two 2' sections of pipe for next to nothing at most hardware stores. They always come in handy, especially working on the suspension.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:00 PM
dhc905
Banned

Originally Posted by Norse_man
Those darn mother in laws will jinx you every time
Haha, you speak the truth!

After playing with it a couple more times (and trying to build a brace around the fan teeth), I may try and get an oil filter removal tool to help, and if that doesn't work, cry uncle and take it to my shop, tail between my legs. I do love working on my car myself, but at a certain point I'm throwing good money after bad, and maybe can get a discount from my shop if I donate the tool to them (assuming they don't already have it).
Old 08-15-2018, 12:30 AM
dhc905
Banned

Ok quick question for the brain trust:

How far into the alternator hole should my idiotically short and utterly poorly designed tool supposed to go?

And then also do I need to be shiva to hold all these in place while trying to unbolt? Any recommendations from anyone to help (besides getting 2' pipes; or even if that is the solution, do I turn them counter clockwise to each other?

I also can't seem to simultaneously keep the tool pushed as far into the shaft as possible while also holding it still and turning the 24mm wrench (see shiva comment earlier).
Old 08-15-2018, 01:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Put the two handles close enough together to allow you to get one hand or both over both and squeeze together like lobster claw crackers. I'll take a pic tonight to help you visualise it.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:06 AM
dhc905
Banned

Originally Posted by John McM
Put the two handles close enough together to allow you to get one hand or both over both and squeeze together like lobster claw crackers. I'll take a pic tonight to help you visualise it.

Much appreciated!
Old 08-15-2018, 03:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ok. This works for me, so I hope it works for you as well. Simply squeeze to undo. You might get extra purchase with an extender over the smaller lever but I find I have enough strength in my hands to do it as is.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:08 PM
dhc905
Banned

Thanks John. I recently had my fan replaced which would have necessitated removing and retightening the bolt and it's really on there (plus I'm still flabbergasted at how poorly designed the whole system is...)

Its a sad day when I can't do the easiest of things on this car myself, and certainly not for lack of trying - the outer edge of the alternator shaft and my hands are both stripped pretty badly. FML.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhc905
Thanks John. I recently had my fan replaced which would have necessitated removing and retightening the bolt and it's really on there (plus I'm still flabbergasted at how poorly designed the whole system is...)

Its a sad day when I can't do the easiest of things on this car myself, and certainly not for lack of trying - the outer edge of the alternator shaft and my hands are both stripped pretty badly. FML.
The large nut should only be torqued to 37ft lbs. Maybe a gorilla has been in there before you. If you can't undo it as pictured, then try pipes over each tool, with the same action. If the splined tool slips then it becomes more serious, likely having to damage the shaft to hold it. Fingers crossed some extension pipes work.

BTW: I've never had a problem with the design at the rated torque level,

Quick Reply: Looks like a flatbed fun time