Sponsored by:

Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 06:39 AM
Andy uk
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problems

I purchased a Tiptronic 964 just before christmas, I've done 4000 problem free miles already.

last night when I locked the car the red lights on the door locking pins did not illuminate at all. I unlocked the car opened the door & tried again - still no flashing lights. I also noticed that the interior lights do not work either automatically or by switching the light itself.

This morning when I unlocked the car I found the door pin lights were working but the interior lights still don't.

Also as of this morning the tiptronic gear indicator lights in the speedo only light up if the car lights are turned on, the gearbox appears to be working as normal.

Do all these items share an electrical circuit, is it likely to be just a bad earth if so any ideas where?

As one of the major attractions of the car was its originallity in the electrical department this is a bit of a dissapointment. ie still on the original radio, no aftermarket alarms or immobalisers

Andy

PS excellent book Adrian, & many thanks to Doug Cambell for getting me a copy.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy,

Have you checked to see if a fuse has blown? (Front fuse box). I wonder if the Alarm, Dash & interior lights share the same one?

Andy
Old 01-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Andy uk
8th Gear

Checked fuses under the bonnet at lunch time, all fuses ok, had a look under the dash can't see anything obvious.
Noticed that the gearbox warning light comes on with the ignition, goes off when the engine starts - I don't recall it doing this before.

Andy
Old 01-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Andy,
If your 964 is registered in the UK then it is fitted with an aftermarket alarm system.
Strange problem. I will need to think about this one. I cannot see a direct link between these items apart from 12V and the central electric power distribution system.
I tell you what I would recommend just for a try. Disconnect the battery negative cable, then pull out all the fuses and the relays one by one and reinsert them. Reconnect the battery and check the voltage across the battery, start up, let it idle for 3 mins, checking voltage across battery again and then go for a good drive. Record battery voltages.
The bulbs in your interior lights could be blown. That is where I would start.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Andy uk
8th Gear

Adrian

The only alarm fitted is that mentioned in the owners handbook. The wireing does not appear to ever have been touched, even the radio is original.

I could accept that one interior light bulb has blown, but both at the same time? Glove box light does not work either since yesterday.

Am I right in inferring from your comments that the interior lights & the tiptronic displays are on totally seperate circuits? The fact that the display works when the car lights are turned on seems to suggest an earth problem.

The only link I can think of is that there must be a timer device to keep the interior lights on after the doors are shut, there must also be a timer of some sort that operates the warning chime (now not functioning) & keeps the tiptronic display lit up if you switch the engine off without putting the gearbox in park. Is this the same timer ? is it on a seperate fuse/relay?

Does anyone know of a reasonably cheap source of a wiring diagram?

Andy
Old 01-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Andy,
I am thinking of your first problems, give me a little time. To answer you second question, no there is no cheap source. You have given me some extra clues now. Check under the dash for the gong relay. You may have dislodged it somehow. I am not sure where it is on a RHD 964. I have never seen one actually because my 964 does not have this.
Please start your car and check the voltage across the battery.
Did you have a charger or anything else like that across the battery lately?
I also advise you to pull out the interior lights fuse No 11, instrument fuse No 18 and check in the test slot provided. Please check the fuse numbers and allocations because yours might be a bit different.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Andy uk
8th Gear

Adrian
Thanks for the response, problem solved short circuit on the glovebox light, quite strange the fuse had not blown, but was causing the other items to not work. I pulled the light unit out, as I did so I heard the fuse pop, I removed the loose washer that was contacting between the live feed to the light and the metal of the dash, replaced the fuse & all is ok.

Andy

Quick Reply: Electrical Problems