Emissions testing

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 02:47 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions testing

Just got a letter from the State of CT, oh yes, time for the Track car to be tested. Anyone here in the States tried their test without their "Cats"?
It's been mentioned, locally) that a few 964's have passed???
Stopped @ a place today to see CT's lastest set-up. Not sure I'll even get up on the Dyno with the small RUF front spoiler!
Oh I guess I can remove that ...after I put the Stock exhaust back on
Bill
Old 01-07-2004, 02:55 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know about CT, but here in GA the limits are somewhere between a tenth and a hundredth of the actual readings on my 964. I think the limits are quite high, and there is a good chance a not-cat car will pass if everything else is in good order.

It was humorous to watch the poor fellow figure out how to attach the RPM pick-up to the dual dizzy (learned new work on this forum). It did take him 3 runs before he finally had the thing reading correct RPM for the test. He said he could not use the tach, as his computer needed to read the speed for the report.

Good luck on the test.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:58 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Oops - got thing backwards above - reading are tenth or hundredth of limit.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

mine passed here in WA - No Cats and a primary bypass (bolted on the secondary though).
All i did was do a normal tune up and went for it - figuring that if i failed it would only cost me 15 bucks and the time to bolt the cat back on.
Alas - I passed b/c wa emmisions are a joke here. (you have to basically be spouting lots of black stuff to fail)
Give it a go before you do anything
Old 01-08-2004, 11:53 AM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I gave it a go this AM. Failed the cruise result by.24 (CO%), too rich @ cruise speed. He plugged a line into the Cigar Lighter & had me hold 2500 rpm on the computer, my Tach read 3200 rpm?? Soooo... he started asking if I ran @ Lime Rock etc and was drooling over the car. When out of earshot, he asks for a number where he can reach me. Humm, I gave my cell # & He tells me he'll be calling me in a few days & He mumbled that I should be able to come back in a few days to pick up a Pass sheet.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Bill
Old 01-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine just passed, but it had the cat on at the time (it will be coming off soon). In CA the results are sent directly to the DMV via computer modem. You can't pass unless the computer says you pass. The town I live in is exempt from the new CA law requiring a dyno, so I don't have to worry about those aspects.

Quick Reply: Emissions testing