My journey to the perfect (cab) stance

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 11:40 AM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default My journey to the perfect (cab) stance

Hi friends,

My 1993 cabriolet is exhibiting the usual SUV look of which I am not a big fan. I have had it on my todo list to refresh suspensions for a while, I'd say the goal is 1/ reasonably lower ride height 2/ reasonably firmer. Emphasis on doing something reasonable, I do not want it too low or too firm. On these photos, you can see that my good friend's coupe has a much better stance (he's on KW V1 with wider wheels), that my cabriolet looks like an SUV and that it's soft when I drive it properly:

Just like many of you, I've been scratching my head trying to decide what the best suspension upgrade would be for me. That is until I stumbled upon a set of almost new B6 + H&R, from this very community, and it is being shipped my way as we speak. Given the challenge to find B6 these days, it seemed like a good idea.

I am now planning the install and while I found a competent shop to do it, it is still not 100% clear to me if I have some say in the final ride height. I have read everything from "B6 are great, you can adjust the height" to "B6 are non adjustable" and "B6 can only be adjusted for corner balancing". Some seem to be saying that the 1" / 1.5" drop you get with the combo is the maximum you can get. Does it mean I can get less lowering?

Here's the current height (garage floor to lip, garage might not be perfectly flat which could have raised the front and compressed the rear a tiny bit).

Front ----- Rear
27 1/8 ----- 26 1/2
26 7/8 ----- 26 1/4

Looking at the screenshot below, I have found this stance to be to my liking. The owner states in a different post that installing B6 + H&R lowered the front of his car by 1.375 and the rear by 0.875. This leads me to believe that there is indeed quite a bit of adjustment with these shocks!

TL; DR: is it reasonable to expect the shop to get me to 26" in the front and 25.5" in the rear? That is I believe what would make me happy in terms of height.

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2018, 08:40 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also still messing with my stance, but currently my 89 is at RS height, and very close to the measurements you screen captured. There is a good amount of adjustment in the B6 and I don't think you will have any issues setting it to 26/25.5
Old 06-07-2018, 11:40 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

some good info on the subject in this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...in-and-hr.html
Old 06-08-2018, 04:06 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Glad you finally got a set Remi, i think this is the set here in CA near me, i almost bought them on ebay last week. Your car will be transformed and look "just right"
Old 06-08-2018, 10:59 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I too rocked the 4X4 look for too long on my previous 64. It's like I had to relearn how to drive the car after replacing the knackered shocks. You'll love the HD/HR combo.
After years of being on stills, at first I thought my car looked too low, but it turned out to be perfect for my needs. Check your motor mounts for sag too.

I don't have floor to fender measurements, but my suspension guy really dialed in a nice alignment for me. That car drove really, really well.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I recently had the same shocks/struts installed with H&R Sports and the overall lowering was perfect for my needs. As others noted, it will transform the cars handling and ride quality dramatically, both in good ways.

There is some adjustability, definitely enough to do a proper corner balance. We ended up as low as possible in the rear and adjusting the front to give the car a slight rake. With 17” wheels it looks great although I think slightly lower would look even better but at the expense of driveability.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:22 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

have the same Bilstein suspension but with H&R turbo springs. There is quite a bit of adjustability in them. When I purchased my car a few years ago the rear end was raised like a 60's muscle/drag car to clear the 11" turbo wheels the previous owner tried to fit. It drove like it looked, crappy! I have since put 18"x10" wheels on the rear with the proper offsets etc and adjusted it to a more appropriate height. My alignment guy in LA really dialed it in though.He spent 3-4 hours dialing the suspension in(corner balance) and it is absolutely perfect to my liking. Handle great, rides great, and doesnt bottom out on speed bumps etc. He noticed that the car was tweaked a little, about 1/4" out of square on one corner. He was able to split the difference between the right rear and front left wheel heights and you cant even tell. I am not sure the height in relation to RS height but with the right alignment guy, you should be able to get it where you want it.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Joseph Schneider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein B6 & Vogtland

The Bilstein's will get you to (euro) RS ride height that your looking for. I'm running B6s front and rear, new mounts, and Vogtland sport springs and have the measurements you are looking for front & rear on my '92 C2 (More photos on the car's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/1992-964-C2...7423504930932/
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2020, 12:41 AM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Forgot to update that thread, sorry. I installed KW V1 and the car now sits at RS+5. I have added 5mm (F) and 7mm (R) spacers to go with my OEM 7/8” cup wheels. Very satisfied with the outcome 👍🏻

The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (06-01-2020)

Quick Reply: My journey to the perfect (cab) stance