Pin holes in oil tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 PM
gv28953
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pin holes in oil tank

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this has already been covered.

I have a 1990 C4 and have removed the oil tank and started refurbishing it. There was quite a bit of rust on the face next to the wing, but as I was getting to the end of the clean-up found several pinholes around the two large breather pipe connectors at the top of the tank. (Why is always at the end of the job that you find teh disaster area??!!

I have read everything I can find on the oil system, including looking at the "tank-in-half" photos. Am I right in thinking that there is not much pressure (or oil) in the top section of the tank, so pinholes would not be crucial?. I cannot afford a new tank and I don't want to buy a used one and find the same problems.

Can anyone recommend someone in the Nort West of England to take it to get testing and repairs done?

Thanks to everyone for all the great articles and threads.

Guy.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:37 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I hate to suggest, but if you have obvious pinholes at the top then there is probably some thin metal ready open up at the bottom too. I had the same issue and replaced my tank with used from dc auto. Used tank was completely rust free and in excellent condition. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2018, 04:32 AM
gv28953
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi nick,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. I know what you mean, but the bottom is immaculate. Also, the bottom has been coated in oil for many years, which was the reason for me (eventually) taking the tank out! The main problem with buying a second hand tank is the British weather!!

Going back to my original question - am I correct in assuming that the top chamber is low pressure??

Incidentally, what I find incredible is that one side of the tank is made of stainless steel and the other is mild steel. Presumably to allow the brazing of the connection tubes.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:11 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I think the oil is sucked from the bottom of the tank and there is a vent from the top of it, I'd call that low pressure.

I Definately wouldn't take any chances with that tank though.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:50 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There is not much pressure in the tank. I believe that there is already a pressure relief valve at the top of the tank to take care of it.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:29 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dont be tempted to use an old oil tank. If its been contaminated then engine damage will be almost inevitable.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 359 Posts

This is in New Zealand and ~ £200 but not economic to ship to the UK, but it shows the parts aren’t outrageous to buy. Check a wrecker in a country with no salted roads https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...aa21b15dbe9b79

Quick Reply: Pin holes in oil tank