Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 C4 backfires loudly and wont start - distributor issue or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 07:02 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 C4 backfires loudly and wont start - distributor issue or something else?

Hey guys, I have been in an unfortunate situation where I can only get my car out once a month or so. The last time I went to start the car, it turned over and immediately backfired loudly before dying. I tried a handful of times and almost every time this exact situation played out. However, one time I got it to idle for ~5min. I thought I was successful in starting her up... until I pressed the gas. As soon as I gave it some gas it backfired and died.

I will say I have not done any work on the distributor in the past few years of ownership. Is this just indication I need new caps/rotors? I looked around and couldn't find someone who had this exact situation.

Any advice will help. Thanks guys!!!
Old 06-02-2018, 07:33 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the distributor caps and see if the one off center from the drive turns freely. It could be as simple as a broken internal distributor belt.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:17 PM
garrett1021
Racer

I pulled the caps and they do NOT freely rotate. Broken belt is out of the question
Old 06-02-2018, 09:57 PM
renn-boxer
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 91c4, same thing after sitting for about 45 days. It was a failed coil that caused the problem, My understanding is you can not just disconnect one coil to find the faulty one thou, as this can cause damage. Do some research before proceeding and best of luck.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:28 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Originally Posted by renn-boxer
I had a similar problem with my 91c4, same thing after sitting for about 45 days. It was a failed coil that caused the problem, My understanding is you can not just disconnect one coil to find the faulty one thou, as this can cause damage. Do some research before proceeding and best of luck.
Ah this is a great lead. Thanks!!!!
Old 06-03-2018, 12:57 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by renn-boxer
you can not just disconnect one coil to find the faulty one thou, as this can cause damage.
How?
Old 06-03-2018, 02:04 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

you can just swap coils to find the bad one. what I mean is see If the car will run with one ignition module unplugged the try the other. It will run on 6 plugs.

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2018, 04:32 PM
jwbavalon
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

After checking the distributor belt, wiggle the intake manifold on both sides. If it freely moves, check the clamps on the rubber sleeves. If the sleeve is loose or off, it will cause an air leak and possible backfire.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:39 PM
wallra
Pro

yes
Old 06-03-2018, 06:14 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Thanks guys

Tonight I will unplug an ignition module and test the car starting on one coil, and then swap and see if it starts on the other coil. I will also try the permutations of the ignition modules with coils to see if it might be the wires.

I have also seen (after some research) that it could also be something with the spark plugs. If I don't identify a problem with the coils, or if both coils give faulty signals, I will most likely attempt a spark plug replacement and then do the coils afterward if the problem persists.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:03 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

I recall reading about someone on this forum with same issue. Turned out to be fuel pressure regulator IIRC.

Good Luck
Old 06-03-2018, 08:41 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Okay guys I have a big update. I tried all of the different versions of coil and wire and found something interesting.

The rear ignition module wire, when plugged into either coil, allows the car to start and idle beautifully.
The front ignition module wire, when plugged into either coil, has the car backfiring and unable to start.

Here is my hypothesis: perhaps one or more of the spark plugs that are connected to the front ignition module are faulty. At first I thought that it may be the ignition module / wire itself, but I have yet to replace the spark plugs in the few years that I have owned the car.

What do you all think about this?

Thanks for the great leads everyone
Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett1021
Okay guys I have a big update. I tried all of the different versions of coil and wire and found something interesting.
The rear ignition module wire, when plugged into either coil, allows the car to start and idle beautifully.
The front ignition module wire, when plugged into either coil, has the car backfiring and unable to start.
Here is my hypothesis: perhaps one or more of the spark plugs that are connected to the front ignition module are faulty. At first I thought that it may be the ignition module / wire itself, but I have yet to replace the spark plugs in the few years that I have owned the car.
What do you all think about this?
Thanks for the great leads everyone
Could be a faultly cable, as in distributor to coil?
Try swapping the distributor to coil cables over (i.e. at both ends) and see if your issue jumps from the front to the rear module?
If so, it's that cable at fault.
If not then its either a spark plug or lead connected to that module as you're suspecting...

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:31 PM
garrett1021
Racer

Do you have any idea how to do the distributor to coil test? You say swapping the cable over at both ends but I am not quite sure what you mean. I do not have quick access to the car or I would check for myself. Are you saying that there is just one wire that I need to swap at the distributor?
Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 PM
wallra
Pro

yes the wire that go's from the coil to the center on the distributor cap. try switching this wire

Quick Reply: 1989 C4 backfires loudly and wont start - distributor issue or something else?