Sponsored by:

Ditching A/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 01:46 PM
dove
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ditching A/C

I am considering removing the entire A/C from my C2 cab as its rarely used.
Can someone please explain the procedure for removing the entire system and does anyone want to buy it
Paul
C2 cab
Old 01-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Paul,
You evacuate the entire system using the appropriate reclaiming equipment. Once the system is evacuated you remove the following,
Evaporator,
Condenser-mixer and fan assembly,
Expansion valve,
3-level pressure switch,
Receiver dryer,
Compressor,
Compressor relay and fuse.
You can remove any piping you can see both ends of but mark it first.
You MUST cap all remaining lines. You will not be able to remove it all without some serious disassembly.
Now you again MUST replace the condenser-mixer and fan assembly with the equivalent weight. This is often done by adding an oil cooler.
Once this is all done you corner balance the whole thing.
You can sell your aircon and heating control unit and replace it with a heating control unit.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-04-2004, 05:24 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is likely to be a pretty major task. I've been told my evaporator is leaking and I'll get it replaced in the spring. Apparently, fuel tank etc. need to be removed to do this. I think the evaporator itself is about £500 but I've been quoted approx. £1K which gives you some idea of the labour involved just for the evaporator.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:24 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Dave,
Getting the evaporator is actually not a huge job. It just looks huge. Access is the main issue. Step by step and you can get it out without removing the fuel tank.
The fuel tank is not that difficult to remove either. Just messy and smelly if you do not get all the fuel out.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: The scary thing is what you find when you remove all of this stuff.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I removed mine a few weeks ago. As Adrian said not hard, just takes a while. I did not remove the final bits behind the fuel tank as I did not feel up to the tank removal. I had my shop remove the coolant charge before I did the removal also. It took about 6 hours as I went slow and made sure I didn't damage any of the pipes that were removed. Now I just need to sell the things.

The only difficulty I had was replacing the trim pieces below the drivers door (they must be removed to get the pipes out). When I pulled the trim off (carefully) some of the retaining clips broke. The trim started to come loose at Laguna Seca a few days later and has been temporarily fixed with racers tape. I'll have it fixed for good when the car goes to the shop to have the new RS America tail painted.

I did not immediately replace all the crap from the front wheel well with an oil cooler, that also is scheduled shortly. I had no handling problems at the DE event that I did since the removal in spite of this and not having the car re-corner balanced (that also will occur once the next round of work is completed).
Old 01-05-2004, 09:46 AM
HSB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tom,
I might be interested in the a.c components and maybe the radio. Please PM me with details if they are still available. Thanks, Harpreet
Old 01-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm having the same thoughts - must be something to do with the cold weather! Looks like there is going to be a few used AC units kicking about..

Originally posted by Adrian
Now you again MUST replace the condenser-mixer and fan assembly with the equivalent weight. This is often done by adding an oil cooler.
Adrian, if that is the case how do non-AirCon equipped 964's achieve weight balance?

My other question is - does the compressor drive belt take any power/responsiveness out when AC is not running?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would NOT replace the AC condensor with an additional oil cooler for corner balance reasons whatsoever.

Remember, the battery is up there, which adds 38-42lbs of weight in the furthest forward-most spot. Besides, the AC condensor/fan is not very heavy at all, less than 10lbs.

The average driver will weight 185-220lbs...having to add weight to the Driver's side in order to corner balance a 964 is all but unheard of.

With ME in the Driver's seat, my right front is ~32lbs heavy...not too bad, but when I messed with the spring perches to alter the readings a bit, it screwed up my other "perfect" rear balance.

FWIW, I have the rear with 1lb from right to left...about as good as it gets! No extra weight added for corner-weight purposes either.

Since my accident, I have yet to re-install the AC condensor/fan assembly up front...and my corner balance left front is still too heavy.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Johnny,
I would not in retrospect make the same statement after thinking more about the subject.
Corner balancing is done by height adjustments. Left rear up to put more weight on right front and vice versa and right rear up to put more weight on left front. Replacing the weight may provide you with needing less adjustment up at the rear.
Maybe the removal of the air con compressor from the right rear will compensate for the condenser mixer on the left front. Maybe this is not an issue in amount of adjustment in a non air con car.
I would change my statement to say that great care and attention needs to be given rquipment removals based on the status of the 964 in question and be prepared for installing ballast if needed to achieve as perfect corner balancing as possible whilst keeping the ride height where you want it.
Also keep in mind LHD and RHD. We have both users on Rennlist and the driver and battery are on opposite sides RHD.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

I am only passing on what
Old 01-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, and didn't keep in mind that Dove's car is RHD.

I guess my main point was that the AC condensor/fan assembly left front weighs peanuts. The condensor is aluminum and the fan, well, it's a fan, plastic in all it's glory...the fan motor probably weighs more than the fan/condensor itself!

Corner balancing is important, but should not be a big concern to the casual, even spirited driver. A good alignment with a "BASIC" corner balance will do, ballast is not necessary in this case.

NOW, for a racer who has to make weight and wants corner balancing to be close to a "T" - ballast and moving ballast to achieve balance is imperitive.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Adrian
You can sell your aircon and heating control unit and replace it with a heating control unit.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Can I replace my aircon with a heating only control on my 964 turbo as well, is it the same partnumer as for the 964 ?

Thanks!

Staffan
Old 01-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Staffan,
Yes.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: I thought the charts in my book would answer all these questions.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Thanks Adrian!!

I looked in the book.
Just very worried that I would get the aircon out, buy a heater unit and later find that the oil cooler fan didn't work.

My car is going to get light this winter.
Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Staffan,
I understand. No that is not a problem. Separate circuits within the control unit.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom W, does this mean you have a CCU you are maybe looking to sell?

--Howard

Quick Reply: Ditching A/C