Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to get a set of KW V3 -- any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 04:05 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Default About to get a set of KW V3 -- any regrets?

Hey folks. I decided to get a set of KW V3s for my 964. I did pick up a set of lightly used Bilstein HD B6 shocks with H&R springs but decided not to install them but just to go all in.

The more I drive my GT3 and GT4, the more the poor ride quality of my 964 (with original shocks) annoys me. The 964 will only be a spirited driving street car, no track time, so I'm sure that some will say the KWs are overkill. But, the more I read about being able to adjust rebound AND compression and how others find their ability to soak bumps while still being firm, the more I think this is the route I should take...

I have monoballs and related stuff from Rennline ready to go, as well. I guess I'm trying to replicate a Singer style road suspension, which, admittedly, I haven't driven nor probably ever will.

Does anyone have regrets after installing KW V3s?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2018, 04:39 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

No regrets. Only street and mountain driving, no track. Love them. Even though I'm a lot lower than I was before and on 18s instead of 17s, it actually feels more comfortable.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's all in who is setting them up. All the adjustability in the world won't matter if you don't know how to do it. That being said, I can't imagine there is anyone who hasn't been happy with kw v3 before
Old 05-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Love mine. Feels almost as good as the RS.

Actually much softer than RS over the bumps, great rebound ride height is spot on.

Car seems to come alive in the twistys. I couldn't be happier.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Did you guys go with monoballs on the mounts or OEM rubber mounts?
Old 05-01-2018, 11:11 PM
cartwheel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My kit came with rear monoballs and uses stock front strut bearings. I like them a lot. Played with settings when I first got them but ended up at just a bit above RS height, one click softer on front compression and rebound, one click softer on rear rebound, recommended for compression. I started with recommended settings which were pretty good. Only problem is I lost the little adjuster- I'll get another one eventually.

Obviously I don't have a good reference for other suspensions- but going from old worn out factory to these was perfect. I have zero regrets and would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Other thing is your tires will have a major impact on comfort- I run 17" but I suspect 18" wheels would be a lot harsher (contrary to Tonymission's experience).
Old 05-02-2018, 02:57 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

i have club sports. they are Ok, if I were to buy again i'd get ohlins. which i may do anyway. i am playing around with spring rates and damping settings but the car just isn't as supple with the control i expect from ohlins or jrz... do yourself a favor. don't drive a car with ohlins dampers on it you'll see what i mean.

These are the single adjustable not full race dampers. Had these on my 997RS until I swapped them to TTX doubles and well, both were fantastic. Not cheap tho, the TTX are 10k.
https://www.fvd.net/us-en/1159029640...er-plates.html
Old 05-02-2018, 05:48 AM
congaman
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from the standard, probably original, shocks to Bilstein HD/B6 and H&R springs. It was like night and day - control with suppleness. Properly set up they're great.

If you want to save money, try the Bilsteins you have and only if you don't like them go for something like the V3s or the Ohlins, but pricey.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:54 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

I run them on my 993. Drove a 964 with them and feels good too. Track, street and mountain driving. No issues. Had JRZ on my 964 too which are great but depending on your use (u stated street and fun drives) then it will be a very solid choice.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:30 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cartwheel
Other thing is your tires will have a major impact on comfort- I run 17" but I suspect 18" wheels would be a lot harsher (contrary to Tonymission's experience).
I should clarify, because I'm sure you're right. I changed wheels/new tires at the same time my V3s went on. So it's not like the 18s were a more comfortable ride than the 17s, just that the suspension upgrade was so significant over the worn out OEM parts that going with a bigger wheel and smaller tire profile did not fully negate the benefit brought on by the V3s.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:45 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't like KWs - I had a bad experience with the V3 on my S2000.

If it's 80% street I'd do the Koni + H&R (I love konis, had them on many of my cars!) or something non adjustable.
As @spyerx said, Ohlins if you want to go ballsout. All the others are a compromise.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i have kwv3 no like
i prefer jrz and mcs way better
but TTX would top them all
Old 05-03-2018, 11:57 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Explanation for the dislike?

Stainless bodies, manage pothole-laden city roads very well on soft settings, give excellent throttle control and over/understeer adjustment for events at higher settings. What’s not to like? Just don’t crank your ride height down to the bumpstops and wreck the compression travel.

I went through the progression of worn out stock parts, to Bilstein+H&R, then KWV3. The Bilsteins are an okay compromise especially for the price, but were a bit harsh on the street for me (felt like too much rebound damping) and a bit soft for events. Plus the bodies of them corrode and get ugly very fast. I’ve had no problems with KW. I’ve put about 15,000 miles on them over 4 years, rain, snow, autocross, city, etc.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:35 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Explanation for the dislike?
Stainless bodies, manage pothole-laden city roads very well on soft settings, give excellent throttle control and over/understeer adjustment for events at higher settings. What’s not to like? Just don’t crank your ride height down to the bumpstops and wreck the compression travel.
Eh, on paper the Ducati MotoGP is a great bike yet a World champion like Lorenzo cannot finish in a top 3 position.
I did not like the feel and how communicative they were on track feedback. I spent a day at the track trying to adjust them and I just could not understand what the car was doing.

Sure you may say I installed them wrong and don't know how to set them up. To me that was the experience, I am not the only one though with friends mentioning the same on their E46/S2k.

I am not saying they are bad, at all. It just that to me they did not work well.

When I used the DFVs on my Evo IX instead...ohhh man, drooling good.
Cheers
Old 05-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The real issue is dampers are somewhat subjective. The goal is control but also feel and feedback to the drive as that enhances sense of control. My experience so far is the kw are good not great when compared do a damper that is 2-3x the cost. Fair? No. But it’s what I’m used to. 100s of track days with ohlins has tattooed my sense of what i like.

Like i said i find the control good. But feeling of the damping i find harsher than I’d like. But. I’m not giving up as there is much in the setup and calibration. We are trying some things.

Fwiw I’ve driven and driven in 3-4 cars with various bilstein setups and don’t like any of them. They feel similar to me. Harsh.

Quick Reply: About to get a set of KW V3 -- any regrets?