David HUDGENS
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think he's put it up for sale.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:11 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

someone will likely pay high 40's or even low 50's - depends how bad the interior issues are and whether the engine has been redone fairly recently

i recently picked up op's car's twin, albeit with cashmere interior and lower miles ... agree that baltic blue is a lovely color

Last edited by golfnutintib; 06-02-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:17 PM
David HUDGENS
Instructor

I'm curious what the draw is to own an older Pcar. And when I say older, I don't mean any offense. I love how they look and how some owners have made them even more beautiful or unique.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:18 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
someone will likely pay high 40's or even low 50's - depends how bad the interior issues are and whether the engine has been redone fairly recently

i recently picked up op's car's twin, albeit with cashmere interior and lower miles ... agree that baltic blue is a lovely color
really? someone will pay high 40's even 50's for a 200k mile 964 that has interior issues etc? please remind me to contact you when its time to sell one of my cars lol.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by David HUDGENS
I'm curious what the draw is to own an older Pcar. And when I say older, I don't mean any offense. I love how they look and how some owners have made them even more beautiful or unique.
It's the connection with the car for me. I don't get the same feeling out of modern cars. They are too capable.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:31 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
really? someone will pay high 40's even 50's for a 200k mile 964 that has interior issues etc? please remind me to contact you when its time to sell one of my cars lol.
Remember, you only have to find one buyer willing to pay premium+ prices. OP, sounds like with a higher mileage car you have quite a range it may sell for. Try on the high end and work down I suppose.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:32 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Buy one and you'll find out. There is nothing like it.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:27 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 412 Likes on 285 Posts

Guy sold a 91 with over 300k for $35k, white. Had complete engine rebuild 50k prior (bill was 32k) - including entire wiring harness and many other things. Car seemed pretty solid - did have some basic cosmetic issues.

Remember, you're asking people who have investments in these cars, what they are worth.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:27 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
funny huh? just watch... so cal, good color, c2, stick, coupe...if the drive train is strong, doesn't leak and interior fixes are simple (of what he mentioned only dash repair/replacement is pricey)... u don't buy odometer on these cars its what it takes to get them to show and drive well

Originally Posted by fasterlaster
Remember, you only have to find one buyer willing to pay premium+ prices. OP, sounds like with a higher mileage car you have quite a range it may sell for. Try on the high end and work down I suppose.
i suspect there will be more than one who will pay 'the premium' for this one... good advice here to op

Originally Posted by Goughary
well rob is being a little mean here lol ... just ask someone who has and is into air cooled cars, and go for a brisk ride/drive in one... they are hand made, visceral, connected and demand nerve and skill to drive well but are tremendously rewarding when done right ... like true sports cars, they thrill at speed
Old 06-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Wow congrats! If there was another Porsche I would sell my Targa for this would be it, I absolutely love the light metallic blue’s and yours appears to be perfect!

Having owned a few iterations of Porsches over the years I would agree with others comments that the cars feel much more alive and engaging even at lower speeds. But what makes them really unique (especially 964/993) is they can very easily hang with the more modern Porsches if the driver learns how to drive them. They have immense amounts of grip with the right wheel/tire and proper cornering technique and as noted this makes them very rewarding to drive when you get it right.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,827 Likes on 2,388 Posts

i like air cooled cars b/c they feel "different"
however they are not "raw". a well set up 996gt3 is very raw. way more so than any 964/993
given same driver skill, there is no way in hell long hood, 964/993 can hang with any GTx watercooled cars. not even close.
but they do have a very different "charm" that modern cars do not have.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i like air cooled cars b/c they feel "different"
however they are not "raw". a well set up 996gt3 is very raw. way more so than any 964/993
given same driver skill, there is no way in hell long hood, 964/993 can hang with any GTx watercooled cars. not even close.
but they do have a very different "charm" that modern cars do not have.
Without question mooty, my comment can be misconstrued that an air cooled can compete with all modern water cooled but that’s simply not a fact. Even a standard issue 991 S will walk away from an air cooled car with equal driver. My point is that 964 and 993 are relatively quick in corners and have enough power and grip to keep up with many of the watercooled cars assuming the water cooled aren’t being pushed hard and air cooled are driven well. It’s hard to say that about any other car from that era. GT cars (all of them) are on another level.

The comment about “raw” is also very true. I find my Spyder is very raw compared to my Targa and I get much more sensory feedback from it. But my Spyder doesn’t demand the constant attention that the Targa does so at lower speeds it’s not as engaging. Porsche really does a fantastic job engineering different feel into the cars.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:52 PM
David HUDGENS
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
It's the connection with the car for me. I don't get the same feeling out of modern cars. They are too capable.
Fair enough. I completely understand.

Originally Posted by Goughary
Don't tempt me. My wife would kill me. But I'm slowly breaking her will...

well rob is being a little mean here lol ... just ask someone who has and is into air cooled cars, and go for a brisk ride/drive in one... they are hand made, visceral, connected and demand nerve and skill to drive well but are tremendously rewarding when done right ... like true sports cars, they thrill at speed
I've driven older sports cars and definitely know what you're talking about. I've had the itch for an older "toy" for a while now. I was curious as to what others feel or think about it. Good to know I'm in the same company.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Having owned a few iterations of Porsches over the years I would agree with others comments that the cars feel much more alive and engaging even at lower speeds. But what makes them really unique (especially 964/993) is they can very easily hang with the more modern Porsches if the driver learns how to drive them. They have immense amounts of grip with the right wheel/tire and proper cornering technique and as noted this makes them very rewarding to drive when you get it right.
I like my 997, but I'm not sure an older Pcar like the 964 or 993 could "hang" with my car and my so-called skills. But that would be fun as heck to test that theory out and have a good time with the crew! All in good fun, of course.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:40 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

re the question can the 964/993 hang with 996/997/991....

think about it simply, this way, hp and tire grip then platform

all have been 3000-3200 lb cars thru time

250-280 hp 964/993 on na cars
340-375-395-410-425 on 996 to 997 to 991 ... once again plain jane na cars

front tires have been 225, gone to 235-245 max over time - minimal increase in contact patch
rears have been 255 to 295 to 305, over time 964 all the way to 991... that is significantly more rear rubber on the road on newer cars

of course suspension platforms have gotten wider (front/rear tracks) and longer (wheelbases) so more stability through turns from 964 to 991
wheelbase matters a lot as engine hangs over rear axle; car flying near limit suspension working to settle car, which is why 991 is so darn stable that a monkey can drive it fast no fear as it's almost mid engined

so on a narrow winding undulating road a skilled driver with an air cooled can maintain pace with a modern car
but once the road opens up, or you have fast sweepers the modern cars pull away bye bye

of course you cannot fairly compare plain jane 964/993 to a 996/997 gt3... that's apples to oranges
but i will drive my 440 hp awd 993 tt and you can have a 997 gt3/rs through any canyon you will not run away from me

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my 964, not sure what its worth