Cold weather - idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 AM
dtunnicliffe
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cold weather - idle problems

Happy New Year 964 Forum readers,

No sooner sorted the heater out on my 964 than we get a cold snap. Car most unhappy on start-up and refuses to idle. Okay if I keep my foot on the gas until warm but as soon as I move off round the block and have to stop at a road junction than it cuts out. Starts instantly and pulls like a train. Once fully warmed up is okay. I can see an expensive trip to the Porsche shop coming up - unless someone has better ideas?

[suspect the bi-metal strip in the air valve between cylinders 5 and 6. According to Bentley it allows more air at cold start to ensure throttle stays open]

Dave
Old 01-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,

First of all, check your altenator output power, and the battery power. Both should have [with a running engine] between 12 Volts and 14,4 volts. If this is ok, I would make a reset on the DME for sure, and let the car idle for 20 minutes.

We will wait........
Old 01-11-2004, 01:58 PM
dtunnicliffe
Track Day

Arjan,

Time flies when you are having fun fiddling! Well, it turned out to be a cobination of things. Firstly the battery was down (11.95 volt off load and only 10 volt on load - recharged and appears fine - leaving 964's for 6 weeks doesn't pay!). Secondly, I put the car in the shop to have the accelerator cable adjusted (the inner had stretched badly over time). They did a good job and in doing so must have re-set the ECU as idling is now good. So it is back to work in it tomorrow morning!

Thanks for you help and happy motoring!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arjan, Is it really necessary to let the car idle for 20 minutes to reset the DME ? Adrian told me to let it idle for a couple of minutes without touching the accelerator and then go for a minimum 15 minute drive rowing all the gears at various RPM's to reset the DME. Regards, Brady
Old 01-11-2004, 07:27 PM
dtunnicliffe
Track Day

Brady,

The handbook says 15 minutes BUT all the Porsche people I have spoken to say if you really want to set it then at least 20 mins without touching the throttle or you need to get the Bosch Hammer on it. Either wqy, keep driving it and soon it will "learn" what normal is again.

Dave "T"

Quick Reply: Cold weather - idle problems