Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Respray. Does it affect cars resale value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ian C, nice to hear you had a good job done! What approx did this cost you if you dont mind my asking?

Cheers,

--Howard
Old 01-04-2004, 07:25 AM
morganb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TonyC

I am also living in Hong Kong.
In Australia there is quite a stigma attached to resprayed cars. Big questions on accidents or rust. Here in HK it seems to be much less so. HK residents seem happy to respray because of chips or even if the color has gone out of fashion.
I believe the doubts we have over a resprayed car in the west may not apply as strongly here. Also the advise on good documentation (maybe also pictures) during the respray process may help alleviate any purchasers concerns.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:11 AM
tonyc
Instructor

I am intending to move to Australia in a couple of years and this respraying is a concern of mine, but considering the bad scratches, small amount of rust and subtle door dings feel it has to be done.
A good suggestion on documentation, I will try and get some shots tomorrow even-though it's out in the NT. I hope it's not too late. My mechanic is using the DCH body shop to do the paintwork and assures me it will be like new and of a very high standard and also comes with a warranty. Even so, I'm apprensive about the whole idea but have given the go ahead.

Tony
Old 01-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you tell which panel has been repainted on my car below?

Last edited by Jay H; 01-04-2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Jay,
Careful do not spoil things. You know what I am talking about. Lees' car and all that. It is one of my stars.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Adrian:

Ah yes... I've made the correction...

Jay
Old 01-04-2004, 05:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Was it the front fender?
Old 01-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Yes, part of the front fender was resprayed. In most light you can't tell at all. It's hard to match the factory spray pattern and this photo shows the repaint pretty well.

After the prior owner told me the repaint was for a minor dent after his son dented it with a bike and not accident damage, it didn't matter to me about the repainted fender. I use this car mostly for concours stuff, and even in those events they'll don't care about the small repaint because after all, these things are cars and damage does occur, even in the garage.

Jay
Old 01-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Christer
Race Car

Tonyc

I don't think it affects resale value at all. As long as it is done properly and for the right reason. I cannot imagine any dumb f**k paying MORE for say a C2 that had the shaggedest paint in history than he would pay for the same car mileage etc. that had been totally resprayed at a cost of £4000 for example and looked as good as new. Or perhaps he would pay more for the 'original' and then spend another £4000 himself afterwards. I know the saying goes that there is one born every minute, but surely no one would take the shagged car in this case.

I am of course not talking about cars that have been resprayed for the pruposes of hiding accident damage or rust for example. I have just recently repaired small rust bubbles on front and rear window seals, painted the scuttle panels, removed the sunroof and painted the whole roof. I also did the engine lid so that everything matches. The cost was around £1350 or USD2400. Whilst the car is no longer original, at least it is not rusting to bits whilst keeping its originality.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Christer
Race Car

p.s.

IMHO, changing the actual colour will devalue the car to some extent.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:28 PM
ian c - u.k

i know orange peel is factory !!!!
i dont like it , and prefer a perfect finish !!!

i think somebody that knows about paintwork and what to look for will appreciate a car fully painted to a finish far superior to factory , as it shows the owner/bodyshop actually cared what they where doing rather than covering up for a re-sale .
i said as much in my original post .

as i said , i plan to keep the car for a long , long time , to use limited mileage in fair weather .

as this is now MY car , rather than i car a currently own , i think i am right in finishing the car how i want it .

all the modifications i am doing are easily reversible if i should change my mind in the future ..............

apart from the paint finish .......... better to get this perfect from the start .
Old 01-06-2004, 04:25 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think Ian's reaction touches on one area we've yet to explore: personal pride. These silly cars are a huge source of pride for many of us and it absolutely kills us to hear comments like, "Brilliant car! Pity about the finish."

That said, I think a partial respray or full respray (peel or not ) will generally be money well-spent for resale purposes. You may not recoup the entire investment but it will certainly help you move it quicker.

C'mon, if you had to choose between similar cars, wouldn't the one with the nice paintwork have an edge?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:17 PM
JoeW
Pro

Originally posted by joey bagadonuts
C'mon, if you had to choose between similar cars, wouldn't the one with the nice paintwork have an edge?
I would certainly agree ... depending on the reason for the repaint. That's why I'd also be following a suggestion made earlier: pics of before & after with all receipts to show there's no need to be worried about frame damage. J
Old 01-07-2004, 04:50 AM
Adrian WC
Intermediate

I have recently has my entire car repainted in the original colour. The whole process took over 6 weeks (all panels, sunroof, bumpers and glass removed and the whole body rubbed down before painting) and cost more than $4000 but was worth every cent IMHO. I have before and after pictures and the results are amazing, expecially in the front which had bad stone chip damage (good bargaining point when i bought the car).

The chap I bought the car from recently saw the finished product and was amazed at the end result and promptly offered to buy the care back from me for more than what I paid him! As has already been said in previous posts, a respray for the right reason will i belive enhance the value.

Everybody loves the look of a brilliantly shiny black Porsche. Especially me.

Quick Reply: Respray. Does it affect cars resale value?