Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's considered "low mileage" for a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:15 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by mbintx
Mine's sitting right at 49,900 miles, and I'm feeling a bit of anxiety about crossing the 50K mark. Probably a self-inflicted wound, though.
All good considerations given by those above, especially Nathan & Matt. But I would ask the question to OP, which car exactly is yours? I say this because, from a "collector's" perspective, there is going to be a difference between a '93 Rubystone Coupe, and a '89 Cab with flag mirrors.

Just sayin' what all others have said above, which is if it's a well maintained example, and maybe has a few "cool" options / color, or something that makes it special, then sure, try to keep the non-nonsensical mileage to a minimum,... but otherwise drive it!!

At least that's how I am looking at my '91 964T. Sure there were only 580 sold in the US during that year,... but most ALL of them are identical (save for colors & occasional one missing LSD). And I'm at ~ 78k miles,... but trying to NOT worry about cresting the 80k mark when it happens. I am not saving my miles for someone else.

​​​​​​​=Steve
Old 04-21-2018, 09:50 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

There are 2 distinct (at least) factions here; the super low mileage collectors adding a 964 on advice from "collector gurus" and the rest of us that may have one or 2 Porsches at any time to drive and curate for our offspring.

Probably none of us on this forum is ever going to buy a sub 40k mile 964, unless from a little old lady in Pasadena for $30k. As with super art (Van Gogh, Picasso etc) they get put in storage, copies put on the corporate walls. Sub 40k 964s are not often at cars and coffee.

I came to 964s via longhoods. Mileage is irrelevant in a early 70s car; the question is, how many times has it been around the clock, 2 or 3? Then, who did the restoration and when. Like a bunch of **** retentives, we can all sit around and talk up or down the various shops.

If you drive your 964, you are likely permanently planning something for the car: suspension, brakes, valves, interior, paint. So if you are buying a car with some mileage it is who did the motor/paint/suspension/interior etc. Eventually, we will all be in the longhood mindset and actual mileage will become irrelevant. I hope soon, for the poor f*uckers sitting on on 49k and not driving their cars.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:53 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I agree that mindset will change with time. When I bought and subsequently sold my 69 longhood no one cared about the mileage because it was likely inaccurate. The primary focus was matching numbers, current condition and maintenance records. It seems the SC’s are already seeing a similar trend and G’s will follow. 964’s are likely another 10 - 15 years out although with the lower production numbers and number of cars already ruined it may happen sooner.

Bottom line, go drive and enjoy them. They’re go cars....and show cars.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:03 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting commentary. Thanks, all. I certainly will keep driving the 964 as intended.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:57 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Interesting reading.

I am currently at a little over 51,000 km so that is approx. 32,000 miles.

I did not know about the 40,000 mile threshold.

"Probably none of us on this forum is ever going to buy a sub 40k mile 964, unless from a little old lady in Pasadena for $30k. As with super art (Van Gogh, Picasso etc) they get put in storage, copies put on the corporate walls. Sub 40k 964s are not often at cars and coffee."

One exception to the rule ...... I will drive mine to cars and coffee meet ups.

Yesterday it was finally a sunny day here on the left coast of Canada so I had her out for a rip. Got a few thumbs up.

I bought mine before the recent love for the 964 and it had under 36,000 km or 21,000 miles.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 359 Posts

My two cents worth.

A car is only original once and it is very expensive and at times impossible to recreate the new car look.

To the person that appreciates originality, and has deep pockets, it leads to big prices.

When that's even partially gone it's debatable if lower mileage has any material impact, especially if it's accompanied by deferred maintenance.

I still see lots of very average 964s, many of them tipos with relatively low mileage. The odometer reading is one factor, but not the dominant one, for me at least.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

John this is a very good point.

When looking for a car to purchase that is less than 30 years old my ultimate goal is to find one that has its original paint and interior and is also in excellent shape. Typically that leads me to a lower mileage car but there are some outliers. There definitely are Highly maintained and protected cars (old school vinyl bras and proper detailing) that can present themselves very well even with higher miles. I would definitely consider one and pay more for it, mileage isn’t everything.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

sorry but i have had many may 964.
they are great cars. but nothing special really
who "collects" C2?/ and why?
now a 964Rs, 964RSR, 964 3.6L turbo or turbo lwt or S2 sure collect those.
but a C2, C4... even at 1000miles they are not all that special. it' was just a regular production car.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:59 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
Anything under a 100k
even in reality if you think about it a 100k is still considerably low mileage. I would rather buy one with a little more miles than a garage queen
Old 04-24-2018, 07:08 PM
stimpy32
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These threads always make me giggle!.. Maybe it's just me but i just wonder how many of these "low" mileage cars have genuine low miles, there are soo many with wound back clocks, falsified history etc... Added to which most cars that aren't driven regularly suffer harder than driven cars - engines coke up, seals perish, moisture stays in for longer...

My own car is sat at 157k miles and shows no quarter performance wise to any lower mileage cars and this is with NO documented engine rebuild. I believe it had some seals done 10 years + ago and i've done a fair few - still leaks mind - but we've got 12 litres of oil so not like we'll run out quick or anything!...

But sure, bottom line we would all prefer a low mileage car to a higher... But all said and done you have to buy on condition
Old 04-27-2018, 11:04 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am at 36,000 on my 1990 C2

Quick Reply: What's considered "low mileage" for a 964?