Sponsored by:

Occasion & random odd behavior when in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 PM
Joseph Schneider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasion & random odd behavior when in reverse

So I've had two things happen when backing up in reverse in my '92 Carrera 2 Tiptronic. One time, after coming back after a drive, I was backing up a short distance in my driveway and I hear a load "rubbing" noise (like when you back up and something get caught under the car). At first I thought it was a wash bucket or something but when I checked, there was nothing behind the car. I realized it was a noise coming from the car but couldn't reproduce it.

This weekend, I went for a drive with my son. We drove around town and even drive a short distance on the freeway. During this time I gave it the beans a couple of times and on the way back to the house I manual mode shifted it from the stop light a short distance (straight line) and then dropped it back into auto mode. Drive a couple of miles back to the house. Again in the driveway, I went to back up in reverse and the car felt like the e-brake was dragging (but no noise).

My driveway is not on a hill and relatively flat.

Both instances of odd behavior happened while backing up and certainly after the car (and triptronic) were up normal operating temperature.

Any thoughts or feedback?

Aside from the gauge on the side of the transmission, is there any way to check the triptronic fluid level?
Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 279 Likes on 162 Posts

I have a MY 91 C2 Tip and have never had the expierence as you have. I do not believe there is anyway to check fluid level other than the site glass.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:39 PM
Joseph Schneider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update: After looking into this, the issue is likely due to worn transmission mounts (I have a tiptronic C2). When we put a car in reverse, the torque on the engine and driveline behaves differently then when we are powering the car forward.

Regardless, Im uprating the engine mounts to OE RS mounts (the car was wearing its original mounts) and at the same time, am replacing the tiptronic's mounts.

I'll keep you all posted...
Old 04-18-2018, 05:23 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 279 Likes on 162 Posts

I replaced my trashed motor mounts shortly after getting her. I used Rennline tunable mounts. The only Issue was the difficulty getting the nut off the original motor mount. I twisted the engine carrier doing so. That was was an easy fix though. Just dropped it off at local welding shop they straighten it then reinforced it the powder coated it and my engine tins for 300$

Quick Reply: Occasion & random odd behavior when in reverse