Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hagerty wants to total my 964, now I can't afford another one. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:45 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my condolences. hopefully it will all work out.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 PM
GDOG8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Udo,
i have limited interactions with insurance companies, but one thing I learned when my dads house burned down, was that it paid handsomely for us to get insurance attorneys involved. That alone signaled to the company that we weren’t screwing around. I recommend you seek out an attorney who specializes in this type of case and get them involved. It will cost a few thousand dollars(?), but in my experience it was well worth 10x what we paid. Hopefully they will do an initial consultation for a very modest fee to help you better understand the situation.

Best,

-G

Old 03-14-2018, 10:36 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Keep fighting

Originally Posted by GDOG8
Udo,
i have limited interactions with insurance companies, but one thing I learned when my dads house burned down, was that it paid handsomely for us to get insurance attorneys involved. That alone signaled to the company that we weren’t screwing around. I recommend you seek out an attorney who specializes in this type of case and get them involved. It will cost a few thousand dollars(?), but in my experience it was well worth 10x what we paid. Hopefully they will do an initial consultation for a very modest fee to help you better understand the situation.

Best,

-G

I am not sure I follow your situation
if you have an agreed on value for the car then aren’t they required to cover the repair costs up to that value regardless of what they appraise the vehicle at, other wise what’s the point to an agreed value policy?
Did you read through your policy, it may have a paragraph on how to treat a disputed value through your own appraiser, my safeco policy has this language.
best of luck to you, many insurance companies have a standard operating procedure to minimize pay outs and bank on the customers not standing up for them selves and putting up a good fight. Keep at it my friend and you have a really good shot at changing the outcome of this settlement.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:38 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

He has an agreed upon value on HIS policy. But Haggerty is who insures the guy who hit him.

SEND THEM THIS!
Old 03-14-2018, 10:41 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GDOG8
Udo,

Best,

-G

why isn’t he using his own policy for the claim and then subregating back to Haggerty
Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on getting legal counsel. You probably don't want to be a hard ***, but if you got rear ended, it's the other guy's fault, and you should not be out of pocket a dime, and in legal terms you have a legal right to "be made whole".

Auto insurance laws vary from state to state, so pony up and get an expert. 1st tactic any adjuster will make is to low ball, so my reply would be to say "that covers the wheels and tires, what are you going to pay me for the rest of the car?" They are basically offering you double of the current value (salvage/dismantler) as it sits now. Who has possession of the car? Is it a total non-op? Have you had an independent repair estimate? If it was me, I'd want to know for myself what a quality collision repair shop would charge, and then how much diminished value your car would suffer from said repair. Most insurance companies won't talk about diminished value on collector cars, but that's a variable on your settlement agreement.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:29 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah never take the first offer. Just pull together examples of cars sold as well as pull ads for similar cars currently for sale. They have to address that. Also it doesn't matter what the other guys policy is, they have to settle with you! Also pull all the receipts for parts, time and work you put into the car, they have to pay for mods and equipment. My totaled RSA first offer was $28k after pulling info together more than doubled (this before the boom) and I bought the car back for nil...go as far as you can before getting a lawyer, that will cut your $ in half...

pain in in the ***.

id buy that car back in a minute, looks about $8-10k fix to my eye. As long as the rear quarters are square.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:11 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
id buy that car back in a minute, looks about $8-10k fix to my eye. As long as the rear quarters are square.
+1 I don't see 30K damage there. Good luck! Also, grab a wreckers bumper, put a hammer to work on the engine lid, replace the corner light and just keep driving the car in the meantime.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 03-15-2018, 05:11 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

well, sub'd to this...and if it is a friend that hit you, i would think, nay, expect, him to be involved and backing your play.....don't know if that is even possible, and well, i am sure there is more that we are not aware of...but DAYUM...i would say there is chicken salad under all of this chicken sh*t...best of luck amigo...
Old 03-15-2018, 07:42 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Very sad to see. I've followed your progress on the car for many years and hope that the insurance circus works out for you.

Andreas
Old 03-15-2018, 08:05 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

I bet an reputable indy can fix that car for under $10.000 if You buy a used bumper and engine lid from ebay!
Old 03-15-2018, 08:14 AM
Invictus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Please add my voice to the chorus of appreciation for your efforts to share your passion for this car over the years - I hope you find a way out of the maze.

Like you I watched my little kids get bigger in this car, and like you mine is also high mileage but cosmetically, psychically and mechanically perfect* so I just dread this scenario.

*chacun à son goût
Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Condolences. I feel your pain on this. I was once screwed by an insurance company on a total loss of a 1970 Chevy Nova. This was in the early 90's before agreed value policies were a thing. I received a little over a $1000 on a car that was worth north of $10k.

Agreed value policies are a must with these types of cars. Many companies have use restrictions to go along with that, but I feel that makes sense. This situation prompted me to confirm my agreed value policy and supporting documentation is in order. I have a $70k agreed value policy with State Farm on a 94 C2 with 40k miles. I should probably up the value now that I think about it.

I haven't been here long and I do not post much, but like others, I appreciate and enjoy the information and knowledge you share with the community. I sincerely hope you are able to get through the insurance maze and are "made whole".
Old 03-15-2018, 11:12 AM
freno a mano
Instructor

Sorry to hear that.

Based on the pics attached it's very hard for me to see 31 damage, BTW if your insurance gives you $ 28.346 you can have the car repaired for $2654, am I correct? I would prefer instead of finding a new 964.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Greg_V
Instructor

FWIW, USAA tried to total my car after a theft recovery. What i finally got out of them was that they would total it if the repairs were 65% or greater of the replacement value. At $50k value, the threshold for totaling the car is $32,500. Keep at it, politely, with Hagerty to find out what is driving them to total the car then work with your indy to keep the repair quote to Hagerty under that threshold.

Quick Reply: Hagerty wants to total my 964, now I can't afford another one. Help!