Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question re GT3 exhaust installation on a 964...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 12:03 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 964George
I originally thought (George Euro) was a reference to me LOL...
LOL well maybe a couple of years ago... now you would be George Brexit.
The following users liked this post:
swaini (11-22-2020)
Old 03-14-2018, 12:04 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

and thanks for the link on the FVD pipes! I want to check the diameters first to see how they match up.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:43 PM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info, I’ve seen your setup on Instagram, very impressive.Very nice setup, looks quality,
Did you also use the 997 bracket like Dan?
You're welcome. While I have used the 997 bracket on a 993 GT3RS Ti muffler install, I do not use it on my 964 set up. I slightly modified toe oem bracket, smoothed the tabs and it holds nicely with the GT3 straps and the rest of the exhaust mounted up.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:49 PM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Awesome! Love seeing vendors step up like this. Can't wait to hear a sound file. Does this system end up sounding exactly like any GT3, or similar to a 964 but with a different tone? My buddies G-model with center exit tail pipes sounds really raw and mean (in a very, very good way). Almost like a GT3 Cup car idling at 1200 RPM.
I'm all about design and innovation. I like to think outside the box and in many cases take a right when everyone is toppling over to turn left...

I will have video and media of this set up very soon. The sound is very raw, Cup car at idle and angry GT3 on acceleration. It is exotic and burly while retaining an oem-esque smoothness if that makes any sense. Also, flames are a thing! And who doesn't love a fire breathing 911!?!!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:00 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Booked in on 30th to have my exhaust fitted and the fab work done for the connectors betwwen headers and silencer... Can't wait
Old 04-26-2018, 11:58 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Booked in on 30th to have my exhaust fitted and the fab work done for the connectors betwwen headers and silencer... Can't wait
Can you please take pictures or do a livestream!?!?
Old 04-28-2018, 10:48 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by butzigear
I'm all about design and innovation. I like to think outside the box and in many cases take a right when everyone is toppling over to turn left...

I will have video and media of this set up very soon. The sound is very raw, Cup car at idle and angry GT3 on acceleration. It is exotic and burly while retaining an oem-esque smoothness if that makes any sense. Also, flames are a thing! And who doesn't love a fire breathing 911!?!!

hi , I will be interested in your system, would you have a Dino plot, with the exhaust convertions I am always scared to lose the torque performance .
Do have a solution for heat ? here in Paris it’s freezing During winter .
Cheers

Last edited by kos11-12; 04-28-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:42 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

So here’s the update on my new Exhaust setup that I finally got installed yesterday, first impressions… Awesome!!!

My chosen setup consists of a standard 997 GT3 rear silencer and BBE heat exchangers, the FVD delete pipes were not used in the end.
The BBE heat exchangers are not quite equal length, shortest 23” centre pipe 24” longest 25”, but appear to have a slightly larger heater box than the competition.
It gets cold in Blighty so heat is a must!
With the GT3 silencer, I opted to use the LOUD inlet and block off the quieter option, time will tell if this was the correct way forward…

The longest part of the install, was the actual removal of the old system.
Once removed, the BBE heat exchangers went on relatively trouble free, a couple of the bolt holes needed a little enlarging to fit on nicely and the heat shields for the HT leads/plugs needed a little trimimg.

With the heater pipe installed it became evident that the 997 silencer bracket would not work, no way of fixing the bottom bolts as the heater pipe was in the way and it would push the silencer out to far.
So we ditched that and went with the 964 version which was bent to better fit the GT3 silencer and installed with a couple of spacers to push it forward, plus some gentle massaging of the heater pipe to flatten the face so we had clearance.

Mounting the silencer was pretty straight forward, obviously we had to cut the bumper and trim the heatshield.

The next job was the fabrication of the bespoke connectors, we didn’t use the FVD delete pipes as once the HE and Silencer were installed the alignment and closeness of the two negated the use of the delete pipes.

The fab work was pretty straight forward, but slightly different on each side.

This highlights the clearance between the heater pipe and the silencer, it's tight!

Here’s the whole lot connected up.

To tidy things up I need to get the old exhaust cut out blanked off and I have an RS bumper centre piece to install as my reg plate just rubs slightly on the exhast tips…

This is a great mod, totally transfers the sound of the car, definitely a head turner (excuse the state of the car, it's a daily and it's been raining alot here of late, it does scrub up well, honest).
It's very addictive when driving…
It may just be the extra noise but it seems quicker too
swaini (11-22-2020)
Old 05-01-2018, 01:47 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Nice job George !
I guess it sounds great !
Could the GT3 muffler be fitted higher ? Even if the number plate would need a lot of cutting.
If ever you do a dino test could you please post it .
Cheers
Garydose (07-08-2020)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:16 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Nice job George !
Could the GT3 muffler be fitted higher ? Even if the number plate would need a lot of cutting.
+1
Any specific reason why you trimmed the bottom of the bumper across the whole center section as opposed to just around the tips? Is it to allow additional airflow around the muffler and prevent melting the bumper?
Old 05-01-2018, 02:19 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Nice job George !
I guess it sounds great !
If ever you do a dino test could you please post it .
Cheers
Been trying to post a video from my phone but had no luck as yet
It could possibly be fitted higher by another 1/2" to an 1" but the limiting factor is the bumper impact bar below the surface...
I'm pretty much where I want to be engine mods wise, without going 3.8 The last step is a bespoke map which will hopefully include a dyno run that I'll happily post up
Old 05-01-2018, 02:37 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LPMM
+1
Any specific reason why you trimmed the bottom of the bumper across the whole center section as opposed to just around the tips? Is it to allow additional airflow around the muffler and prevent melting the bumper?
A couple of reasons really, to aid installation with the heat pipe plus it was touching at the bottom, the feature line that goes across the whole bumper seemed like a good place to cut
Plus when I have the original cut out blanked off, I have an RS centre bumper peice that'll be installed with minimal cutting
Old 05-01-2018, 03:06 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Thanks !
I am interested to hear your mods too,
Do you run an after market ECU ?
Old 05-01-2018, 05:32 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Do you run an after market ECU ?
He said he needs a map for it.

Great pictures and thank you for posting this!
You are confirming my understanding that the header to muffler pipes need to be custom made as it depends a lot on the placement of the muffler in relation to the headers.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:28 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

looks great .. I would love a centre exit but one has to make tough choices sometimes
My experience with a 997 GTS box might help .. definitely a couple db louder and better breathing and sounds more like a 964 cup now I'm told.
I got rid of the orig bracket and just welded two struts onto the box which bolt into the orig bracket holes, so quite a bit of weight lost vs the old setup I had (rear box only, no cats, no primary)

Last edited by HiWind; 05-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Question re GT3 exhaust installation on a 964...