Sponsored by:

Still looking for a 964 - help , opinion on this one

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 11:36 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Still looking for a 964 - help , opinion on this one

editing this thread on june 1st ,the car it was about isn't around for sale anymore- but i'm still looking for a 964, i no longer care if its a C2 or C4, i've missed out on a few but i'm not letting summer pass without me getting one if i can

Last edited by 997Pilot; 06-02-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:59 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The steering rack leak would be something that needs attention sooner than later. Mine was also seeping and I just had it replaced. The downside is that you’ll need to have a large part of the front suspension disassembled to replace the rack which means a new alignment and thus more labor. I would estimate about $2k assuming you go with a rebuilt rack from a supplier that will warrant their work.

Other than that it really comes down to your own expectations for the car. Are you ok with the paint job and overall condition of the car? Is the interior in good shape or does it need some work?
Old 03-05-2018, 01:21 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The steering rack leak would be something that needs attention sooner than later. Mine was also seeping and I just had it replaced. The downside is that you’ll need to have a large part of the front suspension disassembled to replace the rack which means a new alignment and thus more labor. I would estimate about $2k assuming you go with a rebuilt rack from a supplier that will warrant their work.

Other than that it really comes down to your own expectations for the car. Are you ok with the paint job and overall condition of the car? Is the interior in good shape or does it need some work?
No need for an aligment if shop measures everything before, rebuilt rack and labor the shop said around $1200 total. interior is really clean. its a 20+ year old car i'm fine with it having a respray, if it was original paint would probably be in need of a respray anyways.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:21 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be concerned about paying a premium price for a 964 with no records, no matter how nice it looked. Perhaps you can use that to reduce asking price.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

You don't mention if it is a late or early build 91 so does it have the updated engine or not? No records so just speculation on what the engine needs or not? Highish miles, accident damage, chain cover leak, steering rack leak, full respray, for the price I would pass. Sounds like a $50k car tops most likely less.

I also would not trust any prior alignment and to just measure will get you close but not perfect and honestly question the shop you're using. A full alignment on a Hunter shouldn't set you back more than $200. Small price to pay for setting up a car properly. If your shop has a new alignment machine they can tell if any adjustments are needed in under a minute.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:46 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

PM me and give me your number. I have a lead on a Red with Tan interior C4
Old 03-05-2018, 02:24 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
You don't mention if it is a late or early build 91 so does it have the updated engine or not? No records so just speculation on what the engine needs or not? Highish miles, accident damage, chain cover leak, steering rack leak, full respray, for the price I would pass. Sounds like a $50k car tops most likely less.

I also would not trust any prior alignment and to just measure will get you close but not perfect and honestly question the shop you're using. A full alignment on a Hunter shouldn't set you back more than $200. Small price to pay for setting up a car properly. If your shop has a new alignment machine they can tell if any adjustments are needed in under a minute.
Its late 91 , no records, all the info i got from the mechanic checking for ppi , i thought 98k was lower miles not highish , there isn't any accident damage that was found, but there is a minor accident on carfax from 2007 i think.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:43 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
Its late 91 , no records, all the info i got from the mechanic checking for ppi , i thought 98k was lower miles not highish , there isn't any accident damage that was found, but there is a minor accident on carfax from 2007 i think.
The early 91 engines came with an early designed head and cylinders which did not use sealing rings. These are known to leak oil over time due to warping of the heads. There are TSB's addressing the fix and many were done by Porsche dealers under warranty although I have seen some that have made it through without any work. This can get very expensive if not addressed previously. You're approaching 100k miles assuming the odo hasn't been tampered with or has not been replaced or disconnected for a long time. The later engines 100k miles is nothing the earlier ones without any work most likely past due. If something was done not knowing who did the work or what was done can prove to be an expensive problem. I would consider a full leak down and compression test.

Did they meter the paint? There are countless cars I come across that had minor damage that nobody could find and looked good. When I metered the paint the meter couldn't read anything as there was so much bondo it exceeded 50mils. You want to avoid things like this, eventually it will show up and to remove the bondo to fix it right can add up quickly. I can't tell you how many minor accident cars I have seen pass PPI's end up being full panel or tub sectioned and clips replaced. Sometimes the work is top notch but usually not and unless you know these cars well can be a nightmare.

Not questioning your shop doing the PPI but do they know these air cooled cars specifically the 964 well enough? Many we work on them all shops don't have a clue although that is not always the case.

Just saying take the emotion out of it until you are sure it is what it is represented as. A bad 911 is no better than a bad VW Beetle and will cost you considerably more to fix.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 PM
997Pilot
Racer

The early 91 engines came with an early designed head and cylinders which did not use sealing rings. These are known to leak oil over time due to warping of the heads. There are TSB's addressing the fix and many were done by Porsche dealers under warranty although I have seen some that have made it through without any work. This can get very expensive if not addressed previously. You're approaching 100k miles assuming the odo hasn't been tampered with or has not been replaced or disconnected for a long time. The later engines 100k miles is nothing the earlier ones without any work most likely past due. If something was done not knowing who did the work or what was done can prove to be an expensive problem. I would consider a full leak down and compression test.

Did they meter the paint? There are countless cars I come across that had minor damage that nobody could find and looked good. When I metered the paint the meter couldn't read anything as there was so much bondo it exceeded 50mils. You want to avoid things like this, eventually it will show up and to remove the bondo to fix it right can add up quickly. I can't tell you how many minor accident cars I have seen pass PPI's end up being full panel or tub sectioned and clips replaced. Sometimes the work is top notch but usually not and unless you know these cars well can be a nightmare.

Not questioning your shop doing the PPI but do they know these air cooled cars specifically the 964 well enough? Many we work on them all shops don't have a clue although that is not always the case.

Just saying take the emotion out of it until you are sure it is what it is represented as. A bad 911 is no better than a bad VW Beetle and will cost you considerably more to fix.
Yes they did meter the paint and it didn't have any insane readings or no readings and confirmed its a late production with the seals, They are a known p-car shop in socal and rebuild engines, the ppi was very extensive, i've been getting my 997 serviced there and by chance the owner of this car had it there for some mods he was doing and i asked if i he'd be interested in selling, he actually doesn't seem too interested in selling it, but i still went ahead and did a ppi since the car was there and the shop gave me a discount because i know them.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
Yes they did meter the paint and it didn't have any insane readings or no readings and confirmed its a late production with the seals, They are a known p-car shop in socal and rebuild engines, the ppi was very extensive, i've been getting my 997 serviced there and by chance the owner of this car had it there for some mods he was doing and i asked if i he'd be interested in selling, he actually doesn't seem too interested in selling it, but i still went ahead and did a ppi since the car was there and the shop gave me a discount because i know them.
Good to know that they checked the engine serial number. Not sure why it would need the engine opened with so few miles though. I would offer $50k and see what they say.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:15 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Good to know that they checked the engine serial number. Not sure why it would need the engine opened with so few miles though. I would offer $50k and see what they say.
tried that but i feel the seller doesn't want to sell it to begin with. oh well, still on the hunt.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:59 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure your PPI includes a compression and leakdown test. If not good, don't buy unless he takes 10-15 K off price.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:30 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Originally Posted by newsboy
Make sure your PPI includes a compression and leakdown test. If not good, don't buy unless he takes 10-15 K off price.
the car drives strong, not worried about compression. i don't think i'll be able to make a deal with the seller on this one anyways, so the search just goes on.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Seadog
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are interested in a Cab, I was going to list mine in the next few weeks. 1993 Amazon Green, 102K, 2nd owner. PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Originally Posted by Seadog
If you are interested in a Cab, I was going to list mine in the next few weeks. 1993 Amazon Green, 102K, 2nd owner. PM me if you're interested.
Thanks but not looking for cab or any tips .

Quick Reply: Still looking for a 964 - help , opinion on this one