Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to Smog 964 Catalytic Converter delete with cup pipe how much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 06:06 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need to Smog 964 Catalytic Converter delete with cup pipe how much?

Going back to the well for some help again. Anybody have experience with buying an out of state car with Catalytic converter deleted (Cup Pipe Installed) and getting the car registered and smog complaint? Porsche 964. Is it as simple as installing a new cat and getting it passed? Any Mechanic in So. Cal that can do it or you recommend?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:06 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CBA
Going back to the well for some help again. Anybody have experience with buying an out of state car with Catalytic converter deleted (Cup Pipe Installed) and getting the car registered and smog complaint? Porsche 964. Is it as simple as installing a new cat and getting it passed? Any Mechanic in So. Cal that can do it or you recommend?

Thanks.
hi there I'm pretty sure a cup pipe only replaces the primary muffler and leaves cat in place. Or are you saying it has a cup pipe and also a cat bypass?
Old 02-25-2018, 09:07 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CBA

Thanks.
10-4. Seems pretty clean. Is there wiring to go back to the dash? I've read on here that there isn't but I'm not 100% sure.

Originally Posted by Dingo
hi there I'm pretty sure a cup pipe only replaces the primary muffler and leaves cat in place. Or are you saying it has a cup pipe and also a cat bypass?
Thanks. Yes it has both.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:57 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You will obviously have to replace the cat. Fabspeed sells one that “may” pass CA smog and it’s a direct bolt in. You don’t need to replace the primary muffler. Or, go with a much better cat, random technologies are great but will require some flange work and probably tubing to make it fit. Cheapest easiest fix is the fabspeed.

https://www.fabspeed.com/964-sport-catalytic-converter/

http://www.randomtechnology.com/universal.html
Old 02-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Revvin_911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically you need to have a stock cat and stock primary and secondary mufflers to pass the “visual” inspection. However, very few places are savvy enough to know what the stock mufflers look like so you may slip past. But you will almost certainly need a cat.

Swapping out the cat and mufflers is pretty straightforward. Many people swap to stock exhaust setups for the smog test, and then go back to their prior setups for the next two years until it’s test time again. You can probably pick up a used cat and mufflers in the classifieds here or on pelican for not a lot of money.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:24 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by Revvin_911
Technically you need to have a stock cat and stock primary and secondary mufflers to pass the “visual” inspection. However, very few places are savvy enough to know what the stock mufflers look like so you may slip past. But you will almost certainly need a cat.

Swapping out the cat and mufflers is pretty straightforward. Many people swap to stock exhaust setups for the smog test, and then go back to their prior setups for the next two years until it’s test time again. You can probably pick up a used cat and mufflers in the classifieds here or on pelican for not a lot of money.
nice post, spot on.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Stock mufflers not required to pass smog. Only cat and stock intake and programming. Technically. Car will pass w a chip.
Just get a cat and ensure o2 sensor is good and car in good tune.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:28 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Stock mufflers not required to pass smog. Only cat and stock intake and programming. Technically. Car will pass w a chip.
Awesome... peace of mind as I'm hoping to have to deal with this problem within the next 3 weeks with a new car from out of state that needs this to happen.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice it is most helpful and really cool how everyone is so helpful and open to sharing. It really does show that there are great people in this world willing to help out.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:24 PM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
^^^^^^this^^^^^
Mine has passed every time no problem with stock cat/chip/cup pipe. I just switch out cat with Fabspeed Cat Bypass after passing CA smog and away we go!
Old 02-28-2018, 05:35 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by DTMLGND
^^^^^^this^^^^^
Mine has passed every time no problem with stock cat/chip/cup pipe. I just switch out cat with Fabspeed Cat Bypass after passing CA smog and away we go!
I’ve been thinking of doing the same with my stock cat. I have an FVD g-pipe installed now. Do you recognize a noticeable power increase with the cat bypass installed?
Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
I’ve been thinking of doing the same with my stock cat. I have an FVD g-pipe installed now. Do you recognize a noticeable power increase with the cat bypass installed?
I had a primary bypass for years, then also installed a cat bypass. I noticed a little more mechanical sound from the engine (no more cat heat shield to block sound) and slightly better throttle response. The sound wasn't loud/mean enough with just a primary bypass, but now it sounds perfect with the addition of the cat bypass. (also -20 lbs, and less heat next to the valves)

Here's a random picture of my car's numbers while idling (from about 5 years ago). Cat delete, primary delete, 93 Wong chip. My car isn't subject to smog testing in NC. I hope the numbers aren't too bad?

Last edited by 911Jetta; 03-01-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:06 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With the cat bypass on my car it recovers from shifts better, doesnt bog down at all. You can definitely feel the added power. I also just swap the cat on and off at smog time. Just make sure you run it hard to clean all the junk out of the cat from sitting for two years, plus the heat in the cat makes it work better. I have a cabrio and the sound of the cat delete, cup pipe, and larger tip are perfect for m.e
Old 03-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:55 AM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CBA

Thanks.
It's a lot more than you need, but here's an entire system you could snag and either hold on to just the CAT and sell off the other parts.

NA
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...4-exhaust.html

I believe there is a slight power increase, but sound at higher rpms and lift-off is better.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:31 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

FYI got a used Cat, installed in 15 minutes took it to local smog check and they did pre test and said absolutely no problem smogging it. They punched it in the computer and then smogged the car. Was in and out in 20 minutes. Took car to AAA, inspected, verified VIN and registered it, got California plates and was home within 1.5 hours. Let car cool down swapped Cat back out with Cup Bypass and done. Super easy.... I was worried for nothing. Thanks for the help everyone. .

Quick Reply: Need to Smog 964 Catalytic Converter delete with cup pipe how much?