Sponsored by:

Exhaust dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:13 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Just a heads up... running a primary bypass tends to blow out a hole in the secondary muffler. So don't try to sell your primary muffler. Eventually you will have to reinstall it and go with a secondary bypass. PAG did modify the secondary several times but I don't know where along the line in production this problem was taken care of. Funnily enough, the 991 GT3 center muffler has the same problem today!
True that does happen, and happened to me after a track day. But, that was over 5 years ago and the replacement 2nd muffler I bought from salvage was just over $100 and has been fine for over 5 years. If it happens again, I'll still get another 2ndry.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:40 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have two stock secondaries I can sell if anyone wants one.

IMHO I really like the sound of the cup pipe best over the G pipe. I've tried both. It's highly subjective, but at WOT the Cup Pipe sound is sublime... while to my ears the G pipe sounds a lot more like a Subaru with a large outlet pipe.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:36 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 162 Posts

I bought a 91C2 and it came with primary bypass (cup pipe) and secondary bypass (G pipe) , pretty much straight piped, sounded TERRIBLE, like an American hot rod, i removed the secondary bypass and put secondary muffler back on, so now just have primary bypass, its a bit quite..i've thought about the cat bypass but i hear it makes the car smell, and i don't want that since i'm pretty much driving it daily these days.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:49 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
True that does happen, and happened to me after a track day. But, that was over 5 years ago and the replacement 2nd muffler I bought from salvage was just over $100 and has been fine for over 5 years. If it happens again, I'll still get another 2ndry.

Had same issue - could hear exhaust vibration from rear (Cup pipe is fitted). Tracked it down to a split muffler casing at the seam - as Jetta. Bought another split muffler on the cheap and had both TIG welded for £50. So now have a spare just in case for an easy swap.

Quick Reply: Exhaust dilemma