Help Removing Front Fender

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 04:36 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Removing Front Fender

Hey All,

I am in the middle of pulling the driver side front fender off. All the bolts and everything are out. I have it peeled away along the frunk but I can't get it separated along the vertical edge along the door hinge area. It doesn't look like mine has ever been off so its still fully coated in that rubber undercoating stuff which doesn't help. Basically to get the part along the frunk off I hammered thin wedge into the seam all the way along to loosen the sealant. But I can't do that along the vertical edge so I am not sure how to get it off. It will barely budge with a decent amount of pulling so I don't want to try any harder for fear of bending something. If I take the door off is there room to drive a wedge into that seam to loosen it? I'd prefer not to have to take the door off if possible.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2018, 04:55 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

1- the lowermost bolt in the frunk is usually very well hidden, covered in a thick layer of underseal.
2- the rearmost edge, by the windshield corner has a spot weld from the factory. Dremel is your friend.
3- the underseal holds the fender *very* well in place.

I speak from (recent) experience . Frustrating exercise.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:46 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rennlistuser8
1- the lowermost bolt in the frunk is usually very well hidden, covered in a thick layer of underseal.
2- the rearmost edge, by the windshield corner has a spot weld from the factory. Dremel is your friend.
3- the underseal holds the fender *very* well in place.

I speak from (recent) experience . Frustrating exercise.
Thanks 1 and 2 are done. Its all underseal now. This is where I am stuck. I cant get it loose along the vertical seem.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

I was working on a car a couple years ago that had a couple tack welds on that seem. They were behind all the stuff in that wheel well, so i gave up and left it on. Make sure to check for more tack welds.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:22 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 279 Likes on 162 Posts

Ran into the same issue as op what I did was to pull straight up at the headlight bucket it took several fairly hard pulls to get it to break loose. Here is a picture of the seam with the door off good luck

Old 02-19-2018, 08:38 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Take a utility knife and cut along the vertical joint. Porsche use a super thick and adhesive sealer in this area that is almost impossible to break loose unless you cut or reduce thickness along joint. Also make sure you have gotten all bolts out as they ate hard to see / find due to excessive coverage of sealer.

Quick Reply: Help Removing Front Fender