Sponsored by:

Yes, another ABS/PDAS warning light question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 05:58 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yes, another ABS/PDAS warning light question

Background: I've had my 964 for about 6 months, and I've been getting VERY intermittent ABS/PDAS warning lights. They pop on seemingly at random, then tend to go way either overnight or if I stop/re-start the engine.
This week, they've been coming on at start-up and do NOT go away.
• Battery is fine.
• Brake fluid is topped up.

The question: I read up on the R34 relay today. So I pulled the R34 relay and bridged the 30 and 87 pins as discussed in several threads. Doing this eliminated the ABS/PDAS warning lights at start-up. Put the relay back in and the warning lights came back. I guess it's an obvious question, but does that result prove definitively that the R34 relay is the culprit? Anything electrical is foreign to me, so I guess I just want a second or third opinion here.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:12 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a OBD 1 scanner on it and read the codes.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Could be a wheel sensor with weak connection plug
Check and clean them
Elliot
Old 02-16-2018, 11:37 AM
mbintx
Instructor

So the successful relay jumping doesn't point to the relaybeing the faulty part?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:53 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Without looking at the wiring diagram details of the relay, I can say that there are many reasons for the lights to pop on. I discovered recently that low-ish starting voltage will trigger them (always accompanied by the chime shortly after). Also: slightly low fluid after the pump is pressurized, slow pressurizing due to the accumulator diaphragm going bad, a flaky wheel sensor ground, corrosion in the pdas ecu harness pins, leaking pdas slave cylinders that cause a pressure drop once activated. The list goes on...!
Old 02-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Have you done a full bleed? I would start there. Full bleed on the entire system. Then do a pressure test of the bomb. The bomb should take approximately 60 seconds from zero to full pressure. If you get over a minute and a half, replace the bomb. If the bomb and air in the system isn't an issue, then start looking into electrics/ cleaning sensors etc.

If you are near lower Connecticut, pm me, happy to help.
The following users liked this post:
Hdizzle (08-23-2023)
Old 02-18-2018, 01:45 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

I keep on hearing about the "bomb" can someone please scan a shop diagram of what and where the bomb is?

Thanks,
Old 02-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts
Default The Bomb

Just finished my 13 pt bleed last weekend... the bomb indicated. Note this is a RHD 964, I think it is on the other side in a LHD.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:01 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Without looking at the wiring diagram details of the relay, I can say that there are many reasons for the lights to pop on. I discovered recently that low-ish starting voltage will trigger them (always accompanied by the chime shortly after). Also: slightly low fluid after the pump is pressurized, slow pressurizing due to the accumulator diaphragm going bad, a flaky wheel sensor ground, corrosion in the pdas ecu harness pins, leaking pdas slave cylinders that cause a pressure drop once activated. The list goes on...!
Yup, been through most these in tracking similar (non-issue) lights remaining on on start-up - untill 2k rpms is exceeded. Nailed this down to low voltage (i.e. <8v) detected on start up. Once passed 2k revs lights stay out.

Other PDAS light issue early last year (random lighting - sometimes with buzzer) down to corroded/furred PDAS/ABS ECU pins - design fault of having ECU connector mounted upside allowing water to settle in connecter recess. Removed ECU, dried area out fully, cleaned up all pins and female opposites in connector. All good. Fully bled entire brake/PDAS/ABS afterwards for peace of mind.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:04 PM
mbintx
Instructor

I guess it's never easy with these 964s. Will try to get it to a shop this week and have a scanner read the code(s).
Old 08-19-2023, 06:17 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

My friends 964 had the ABS/PDAS warning lights that came on after 1 minute of idle then stayed on. I had the car in my garage for the week so I tried a few things, including no faults shown on the PDT999, cleaning both accelerometers which were both gunked up with filings, swapping my PDAS controller to eliminate the big ticket item. Checked the earths, connectors on the system, & relays.

Then finally I went backed to basics, I looked long and hard at the brake fluid level. It was just below max. Topped it up. Started the car, no ABS/PDAS lights, FIXED! Sometimes you need to check the fuse first!
Old 08-20-2023, 04:01 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good catch. The reservoir level is supposed to be checked after the accumulator bomb has fully pressurized. What seems a full reservoir can actually be just below full after the bomb is filled with fluid, and as anyone with a C4 has discovered, it has to be FULL to not trigger a PDAS warning light.

Neil
The following users liked this post:
Spokes (08-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Yes, another ABS/PDAS warning light question