Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Aircooled, need opinion about car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 04:17 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default New to Aircooled, need opinion about car.

Hi, new to the forum, i've browsed here a few times usually in the 997 area. I've had my 997 carrera S for years and now looking to jump into the air cooled. I have been searching for a 964 for a few weeks now i've searched a few threads and found some great information but i have my own questions.

I've looked at a couple of cars so far and deciding which i'll get a ppi on. one of the cars is almost perfect but has one hiccup so would like some opinions here.

Sorry for the long post, its a bit complicated lol.

The car in questions is a 1990 C2 coupe, has plenty of recent receipts for major work done to the engine about 3 years ago gear box & the suspension..the engine top end is rebuilt and the owner says it has a reseal that included a head gasket retrofit from what i understand and something else that put it to RS specs (not sure exactly), the transmission was rebuilt by the porsche dealer all oil pipes, gaskets and the suspension was all redone too.

The exterior looks good but has a little rust bubble around window which looks to not go deep, clear of accidents, the interior is a bit tattered specially the drivers seat.

now to the surprise, the owner owned this car about 11 years he bought it with 40k miles on it as his 2nd car, after a couple of years of ownership the odometer stopped working, then he moved to canada and it was changed to KM / or when they converted it at registration i guess it was diff so the carfax says "odometer potential roll back " this is all verifiable as i can see the registration and all that..the guy never fixed the odometer, so the car since 2008 hasn't had a working odometer, but its had all this recent work done and runs great, he just never thought he would sell it (this is an older trust worthy guy, i feel he is being honest about all he is saying) He says he drives about 5,000 to 8,000 miles a year max since it sits in his garage stored for winters &and the car does look to be around 100,000 mile car at most

So, with all the major work that has been done to the car, does that counteract the non working odometer? What do you guys think this car would be worth? I'm seeing cars like his with high miles go in the 50's and thats without the major work he has done, not sure where to go from here, do i walk away because of odo or does it really matter when i have all this work? he wants $52,000

sorry again for the long first post and thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:03 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You might want to look at the post just before this for a comparison. For me, a 52K car should be just about perfect. Make sure you get a PPI from an experienced Porsche Independent.
A small amount of rust could be just that, or allot more? Paint/bodywork can be expensive.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Rust around the window means there is rust elsewhere. Doesn't mean it's going to rust through in the next year. But it does mean for sure that as you do work on the car you will find more and you will spend to deal with it. If it's just a driver, no big deal - but there are costs to remediate if you are of mind to go there.

As far as mileage - a bit irrelevant for a driver. Get a leakdown done, check the health of the motor. Have a ppi done by someone that knows 964- not just old 911. These aren't the same.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

he hasn't fixed the odometer in a decade? seems odd. odometer aside, its a 50k+ car.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:08 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Tattered interior to me says it has more than 100k miles. If you could post pics of the inside it will be telling.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:10 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
he hasn't fixed the odometer in a decade? seems odd. odometer aside, its a 50k+ car.
That is good to know. So i guess his asking price isn't too bad.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Tattered interior to me says it has more than 100k miles. If you could post pics of the inside it will be telling.
Don't have any pics of it to post now, i think i should have said "little bit worn" not tattered.

Thank you for your advice all.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:21 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is the rust bubble? Which window? There is a common rust bubble that seems to happen to 964s just under the windshield, about 6 inches in from the side edge along the bottom seal. Many cars have it. It can be dealt with a windshield-out repair... weld/repaint.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:34 PM
NeinEleven
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

There is something special about the air-cooleds isn't there? They just have an addicting character. I think this one should be in the low 40s due to the mileage issue and rough interior, unless there is something about it that you really like.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Sounds like a car I would want to inspect in person.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:20 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Where is the rust bubble? Which window? There is a common rust bubble that seems to happen to 964s just under the windshield, about 6 inches in from the side edge along the bottom seal. Many cars have it. It can be dealt with a windshield-out repair... weld/repaint.

the bubble is at the rear window edge rite under the seal, similar to the ones you see at front window, but this one is at rear.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:57 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
I disagree. Sub 50k sounds more like it.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't repair an odometer even if they never planned on selling it. It's quite important to know distance between oil changes, valve adjustments, etc.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

The rust is what would scare me the most not the odometer. Check video below.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by onceover

I don't understand why someone wouldn't repair an odometer even if they never planned on selling it. It's quite important to know distance between oil changes, valve adjustments, etc.
Odometers aren't that expensive to fix, makes one wonder what else didn't get done.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:11 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onceover

I frankly don't understand either. That being said, has anyone seen a c2 coupe around 100k miles in what sounds like d rivers condition for less than 50?
Old 02-07-2018, 12:36 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
Odometers aren't that expensive to fix, makes one wonder what else didn't get done.
The guy just seemed like he intended on keeping the car forever and never bothered with fixing it since speedo worked and he kept a log of miles and said he figured the plastic gear would just break again . He did all the huge major services documented just the silly little odometer gear he never got fixed..it is stupid if you ask me.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
The rust is what would scare me the most not the odometer. Check video below.
Surely this looks scary but i try not to think of worst case scenarios like this, the spot doesn't look like it would be that bad.

Quick Reply: New to Aircooled, need opinion about car.