Sponsored by:

Windshield Washer System

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 11:26 AM
thesmithsUK
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Washer System

Having read lots of threads on this topic, I went down to my garage this morning brimming with confidence!

Although my 'intensive' washer system is working fine, the 'regular' one is not. (But both windshield nozzles spraying fine.)

The pump also appears to be working (and the headlight washers).

I tried disconnecting the relevant hose from the T-shaped check valve (assuming the problem may be with the valve). But, on pumping, no fluid came through the hose.

So I disconnected the hose at the reservoir tank end. (The fluid drained out - albeit rather slowly.)

The hose (now disconnected at both ends) is clear.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Am I going to have to pull the reservoir tank?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by thesmithsUK
Having read lots of threads on this topic, I went down to my garage this morning brimming with confidence!

Although my 'intensive' washer system is working fine, the 'regular' one is not. (But both windshield nozzles spraying fine.)

The pump also appears to be working (and the headlight washers).

I tried disconnecting the relevant hose from the T-shaped check valve (assuming the problem may be with the valve). But, on pumping, no fluid came through the hose.

So I disconnected the hose at the reservoir tank end. (The fluid drained out - albeit rather slowly.)

The hose (now disconnected at both ends) is clear.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Am I going to have to pull the reservoir tank?
First you need to ensure the pump runs; remember that there are two pumps at the reservoir - the headlight washer is independent. Next check the W/W fuse: if it's OK, then probably the stalk switch. If the pump runs, does it feed fluid into the Int Wash bottle? The likelihood is the non-return valves which will need to be fixed or replaced. There is a good diagramme in PET.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:36 AM
thesmithsUK
Advanced

Thanks Harry - very helpful.

Just checked the fuse (number 24). It's the same fuse as the headlamp washers, so all good there

I guess I need to pull the reservoir tank to check the two pumps.

(I'm pretty sure the problem is at the tank / pump end.)
Old 02-10-2018, 12:33 PM
thesmithsUK
Advanced

The saga continues...

I disconnected and pulled out the reservoir tank.

Then disconnected the two pumps (one for the headlamps, one for the windscreen) and the water level sensor.

De-scaled / cleaned everything up.

By swapping the two pumps / connectors, I've been able to deduce that both pumps are working fine. The problem is an electrical one - the feed to the windscreen pump has no power!

Now my inexperience is showing...

The diagram inside the fusebox suggests the two pumps share a 40-amp fuse, which is fine. (I know it's fine because the feed to the headlamp pump is working.)

The connector itself (at the pump end) looks OK - it's the black one in this photo.

What next?! Any help gratefully received...

Old 02-11-2018, 10:53 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by thesmithsUK
The saga continues...

I disconnected and pulled out the reservoir tank.

Then disconnected the two pumps (one for the headlamps, one for the windscreen) and the water level sensor.

De-scaled / cleaned everything up.

By swapping the two pumps / connectors, I've been able to deduce that both pumps are working fine. The problem is an electrical one - the feed to the windscreen pump has no power!

Now my inexperience is showing...

The diagram inside the fusebox suggests the two pumps share a 40-amp fuse, which is fine. (I know it's fine because the feed to the headlamp pump is working.)

The connector itself (at the pump end) looks OK - it's the black one in this photo.

What next?! Any help gratefully received...
Have you checked for an output at the wiper stalk, if not, that's got to be your next option. I had a similar problem when I bought mine (years ago). I rebuilt the switch and all has been OK eversince. The switch was built with rivets securing the halves etc together I replaced those with small nuts and bolts..

Last edited by Harry Apps; 02-11-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2018, 12:17 PM
thesmithsUK
Advanced

Update: connectors now attached to the correct pumps.

Windscreen wash function restored to perfect working order.

Headlamp system not working! I'm not convinced this ever worked (in my ownership). Suspect it may be the relay. Will get to that in good time.

Meantime, I can wash my windscreen - either normally or, er, 'intensively' with the silicone stuff.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:56 PM
thesmithsUK
Advanced

Both windscreen washers and headlamp washers now working!

When the paint shop re-connected the pumps, they obviously put the connectors back the wrong way round.

Took me a while to work this out (starting at the nozzles, back through the T-valves, through the hoses, back to the reservoir, then the pumps, then the electrical connections!) but all now sorted.

Then I forgot that the headlamps need to be on for the washers to work! So all good. Thanks for your input and advice.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer System