Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Discuss Wheels for our Whips........ I Have Some Questions......

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 06:09 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Let's Discuss Wheels for our Whips........ I Have Some Questions......

Now that I've handled some issues and made sure maintenance is up to date and have become comfortable with my car mechanically, I think I'd like to buy aftermarket wheels.

A little about myself and wheels....

I've been driving since 1983........ and have had my share of vehicles during that time. During that long period, I've never once wanted to change the stock wheels on any of my vehicles. And honestly, I really like the looks of the 17" cups that are on my car.

There are three wheel types I like. Two are similar and one is completely different. They are the BBS E28, E88 and fifteen52 2 piece Outlaw 001's. My preference is in that order too, with 17" being the diameter I'd purchase. Seems to be the sweet spot for several reasons.

I seek the following knowledge....... and truly appreciate guidance.

a) Are any of the BBS wheels not suitable for daily driving? Some of the roads here is South Carolina can be unkind. I believe I recall in the recent past someone commenting one type is mostly a lightweight track wheel, but I could not find that comment again to confirm after searching.
b) Is there any significant weight savings with any of these over the 17" Cups? If so, how much savings? More importantly, are any of them heavier than the Cups?
c) What is the width and offset of the Cup wheels? I'd like to maintain that size when buying aftermarket wheels and do not wish to use spacers or necessarily take a sellers word that "yeah man, they'll work."
d) It's my understanding that the E28's are no longer produced. Where are my best avenues of locating some? What classifieds or enthusiast boards do I visit?
e) What is a usual selling prices for a decent set of E28's and E88's (at least cosmetically a 7 or 8 out of 10 and true with no damage?)

Looking forward to this next step with my car. Absolutely loving this thing.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:06 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I don't know the different BBS rim models very well, but I think boostedOy's set up is absolutely spot on!

17in BBS e26 magnesium with 3in lip on rear
Old 01-31-2018, 10:36 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-Bbs Motorsport wheels are fine for Street driving.
-17s should give you a better more compliant ride due to the taller sidewall.
-18s have more tire options.

I have e88s. If I could do it over again, I might go with a 17" version instead. That being said I'm very happy with these wheels
Old 01-31-2018, 12:14 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

I really hope to get this stuff figured out.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:40 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dukmon
I really hope to get this stuff figured out.
you really can't go wrong. talk to a bbs dealer ( I like David at butzigear in CT he's on rennlist) or with fifteen52 ( Butzi sells those too). as long as you buy from someone knowledgeable they will be able to guide you through what you need to know. the good part is you aren't trying to reinvent the wheel here( ha!). what you want has been done, and shouldn't be a difficult experience.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:53 PM
18T_BT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you purchase hard to get wheels that are expensive if you plan to daily drive your "whip" and afraid of wheels bending - since the roads where you live aren't wheel friendly?
I would suggest that you consider getting the wheel that you like aesthetically and is reasonably easily replaceable if the roads are so poor where you live.
I like 3 piece wheels as much as the next guy, but the lips can bend easier (especially if you go with a 35 sidewall in the back) than on a two piece wheel and one of the reasons why I got BBS LM's.
Yes, you can replace lips for not too much money, but it's time consuming and somewhat of a pain (reseal the wheel) and then you have to remount/balance anyway.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:11 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

My query is which, if any, of the wheels I mentioned are perhaps too lightweight for used other than track. I would expect the lightest may also be the most vulnerable (generally) to damage. But not necessarily. I'm not sure if any of these wheels fall into that category.

Aesthetically, I like all three of the wheels I mentioned.

Like they say........ strong, light, cheap. Pick two.

Appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Any help with the factory size/offsets for factory Cup wheels?
Old 02-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

This will give you the factory sizes for the 964 wheels.

https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-an...he-wheels.html
Old 02-01-2018, 03:45 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

a) Are any of the BBS wheels not suitable for daily driving? Some of the roads here is South Carolina can be unkind. I believe I recall in the recent past someone commenting one type is mostly a lightweight track wheel, but I could not find that comment again to confirm after searching.
I would stay away from any wheels with magnesium centers, unless you are extremely vigilant about regularly cleaning and inspecting the wheels for paint chips, corrosion, and cracks. Magnesium wheel construction has become better with time, however they still require more care than an aluminum alloy wheel. Any bare paint is a source for corrosion; the most minimal corrosion usually can render magnesium structurally compromised. Additionally, while there are different alloys used in a "magnesium" wheel, it is generally a very brittle material that is subject to cracking relatively easily.

Most magnesium wheels are used in motorsport, where wheels are used for about a season and then tossed. If they aren't tossed they usually X-rayed for defects. Take for example all of the historical motorsport cars Porsche owns; they rarely (if ever) drive the cars on their original wheels. They are always run with newer wheels, the original wheels are used for display.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

E28 and E88 both can be street driven
E28 you can find used and refurbish
there was a set on RL not long ago
E88 you can buy new.
offsets i no longer give out, bc apparenlt4y some offset works on my 964 but not on other ppls' 964. mainly b/c some ppl have no fkg idea how to set up a car right.
dont cheap out and try to buy used BBS for cheap. there is a reason why they are cheap
iirc E88 new are around 5500.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:41 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Goodness gracious...........
Old 02-01-2018, 04:50 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,348 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
E28 and E88 both can be street driven
E28 you can find used and refurbish
there was a set on RL not long ago
E88 you can buy new.
offsets i no longer give out, bc apparenlt4y some offset works on my 964 but not on other ppls' 964. mainly b/c some ppl have no fkg idea how to set up a car right.
dont cheap out and try to buy used BBS for cheap. there is a reason why they are cheap
iirc E88 new are around 5500.
+1

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 02-01-2018, 05:20 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Are E28 centers magnesium only?
Old 02-01-2018, 06:23 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Are E28 centers magnesium only?
Yes
Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Rats. I like the curvature of the E28's but don't think I need to go the magnesium route.

Thanks all for the info so far. Feel like I'm cooking with hot grease now..........

No comments one way or the other about the fifteen52's? Are they poser? I'm trying to overlook the personality behind them, but I do like how they're (to me) a tasteful, modern interpretation of the Fuch wheels. Sans the low stance, I like how this car looks.

What say you, sayers?

Quick Reply: Let's Discuss Wheels for our Whips........ I Have Some Questions......