Sponsored by:

PS steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 01:23 PM
AK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS steering leak

I am leaking but it is not oil. I am leaking out ATF fluid from the power steering system. It appears to be coming from the front of the engine were the power steering pump is at. I would like to fix this however I am really not sure what is leaking and it looks like a lot of disassembly is required to even look at the area. Is there a common leak point back there or is it just that generally a new PS pump is needed? Does any one have some sort of diagram or picture of the parts involved? That would help a lot. Thanks.

Yes I have Adrian's book on order. When ever Amazon gets it too me.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, it's a particularly "FUN" job.

You start by removing your Secondary Muffler, then unbolt the power steering pump from underneath the engine cover - it's one of those tight-clearance procedures, but one can get through it.

Once you get the pump loose and are able to remove the belt, you have to undo the pulley bolt (similar to crankshaft pulley removal) and pop the pulley out to change the seal and the pump housing "O"-ring.

Not a job for the faint of heart, and I would imagine (especially with the leak) that it would become one helluva messy job!

I did all mine when I rebuilt the engine last Winter...so it was a bit easier OUT of the car.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:47 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Yup, my mechanic did it with the engine in the car. I think he commented on what a joy it was, although his language was a bit more descriptive (destroyed at least one "O" ring in the process, IIRC).

And this from a guy that wrenches on P Cars cars all day.

If I only I had know that a few months later, I was going to tear up the gear box, requiring that the motor come out

BGL
Old 12-18-2003, 05:58 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had a PS fluid leak. I told my mechanic that I thought it must be the pump (since it definitely wasn't the steering rack) and before they even looked at it they said "no it's not. We've never had to replace the pump but a common failure is the pipe from the resevoir to the pump".

They checked - and that's what it was. It is quite hard to tell it is the pipe, because it has an outer sleeve on it - but this could well be your problem as well.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:25 PM
eddychan
Racer

Dear Allen,

Wow, you do get lots of opinions and people tend to share their own experience and you have to identify which one of their experience is suited your case.
Well, my experience was a relatively simple one which the OPC people told me is common for 964 at this age. So it MAY help you.

I noticed a patch of RED colour oil on the garage floor so I took a look and it was coming near the Engine area. I took away the air filter and cleared the area and discoverd oil in the area below. So I asked my wife to run the engine and turn the steering. More oil coming out from one end of the big power steering hose. The one that connected from the dark coloured pot to the pump. I took the hose out and noticed that there was a crack of the o ring of the hose. I took it to OPC and bought a new one. Put it back in and fill up the oil. And that was a year ago and still have a dry garage floor with my fingers cross!
It could be the cracked hose, the hose is coated with metal and it aracked and leak oil in my case. It was relatively simple and easy to deal with and that was my experience.
Hope it helps!

Eddie
Old 12-19-2003, 02:39 PM
AK
Instructor

I am am hoping that I have the same problem as Eddie. However, I do know that when I bought the car the PPI inspection did note that the PS pump seal was "weeping a bit". So am thinking that I have a bit of work ahead of me.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:52 PM
964TOK
Racer

AK,

I have a simialr leak, did you manage find out where your leak is coming from? Did it cost much to have it repaired?
Old 01-06-2004, 02:09 AM
AK
Instructor

Not yet. I have my other car all taken apart. It is in the midst of getting all new suspension and bushings etc so I am waiting till that is together to start in on the 964. It is not leaking too badly. So until then I just have been topping up the PS fluid.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:00 AM
964TOK
Racer

When you say not leeking too badly, how much & how often do you have to top it up?
Old 01-06-2004, 07:10 PM
AK
Instructor

I would say that I go from the full mark to the needing refill mark in about 1000 miles. At my current rate of driving in the winter that is at least a couple of months.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:49 PM
964TOK
Racer

Think my leak was similar to DAVEK & eddie.

These were the hoses that were leaking on mine, mechanic also recommended that I replace the reservoir.

1)964 347 451 01 - P.S Return Line - about US 55
2)964 347 445 03 - P.S Hose - about US 9

Quick Reply: PS steering leak