Sponsored by:

Confused owner!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:22 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Confused owner!

Hi guys I'm needing help and advice. i purchased my car to "hot rod" tastefully but anyway I want for my needs and what I wanto do with it. It's an original car with 118k kms on it. No service history and imported from Japan.
My problem is after researching all the mods I wanto do and reading almost every post on here I'm now too scared to touch it. Everyone I speak to says don't touch this and don't touch that because it won't be original etc' and what if the next owner wants to put it back to original and so on. So I'm at the point now where I no longer have any dreams for my car and I'm not excited about it anymore. I didnt buy it to keep it standard as the fun part for me is working on it and getting excited about new things im doing to it, saving up for mods and making it my own. Having an original car that is the same as someone else's is not for me. Should I tone things down and just do bolt ons and bolt offs, that way ill have all the original parts stashed away if i sell or should i do whatever i want and deal with the consequences later. I dont plan on ever selling but I dont care if i sell in 10 years and lose money as its my only real hobby and will have enjoyed the hell out of it for 10 years! What do you guys think?
Old 01-15-2018, 01:40 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

It’s your car and your money, enjoy it however you please! In all seriousness, if enjoying the car means making big changes then go for it and don’t look back. You wouldn’t be the first or the last.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. I’ve had 964s since 2001. The first car was a Bad Boy Turbo. It would have been sacrilegious to touch anything. My current 964 had some fugly updates and I’ve gone through a lot of changes to reach a point where I’m happy with the look. If you own your car for 10 years you will likely change your mind on how you want it to look, you may even decide to sell it. In either case, there is nothing to lose by keeping mods to those easily reversed and keep the original parts.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:52 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

First of all the best things you can do to these cars are bolt on's which are for the most part easily reversible. And, most bolt ons transform the car and the way it drives. Sure, you can go nuts and throw a 3.8L at it, rebuild the trans, etc....but the best most cost effective mods are reversible bolts on's, and weight savings (that can be put back). So, whomever you're been talking to doesn't really know what they are talking about.
It's your car, enjoy it and do whatever you want with it.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:31 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I think I'll do all my bolt ons and bolt offs and see what happens from there. Next on the list is the rs lightweight carpet kit. Which also has me confused to where the reversible starts and stops. I mean I know I won't be able to get the old carpet and undaylay out without destroying some of it so is that bad? The studs where I removed the sound pad are also driving me crazy.. I'd love to cut them off and touch up the paint to get things really smooth but thats probably irreversible. I'd also do the same with all of the other unnecessary brackets etc in the frunk. There are a million other things but I'll ask you guys when the time comes.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:54 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo
Hi guys thanks for the replies. I think I'll do all my bolt ons and bolt offs and see what happens from there. Next on the list is the rs lightweight carpet kit. Which also has me confused to where the reversible starts and stops. I mean I know I won't be able to get the old carpet and undaylay out without destroying some of it so is that bad? The studs where I removed the sound pad are also driving me crazy.. I'd love to cut them off and touch up the paint to get things really smooth but thats probably irreversible. I'd also do the same with all of the other unnecessary brackets etc in the frunk. There are a million other things but I'll ask you guys when the time comes.
Personally, carpet is one thing I would consider reversible. Is it a bit of a pain to change back? Sure, but doesn't need any major work to do so. It's not like you're cutting into the body for spoilers or something.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:24 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Your car your money, do what you want. I am modding mine but everything I am doing is reversible and I am keeping all the factory parts just in case there ever is a "next guy."
Old 01-15-2018, 04:45 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Next on the list is the rs lightweight carpet kit.
The RS carpet kit is borderline irreversible if done correctly. You have to cut some spot welded brackets, etc. If you're careful you can keep them to be welded back on, I suppose. That said, for my RS interior conversion, I decided to do a factory authentic install with the best carpet I could find - windows out, all brackets cut, lockpost removed, etc. My car has enough miles on it I don't care. But I'm trying to keep my 'mods' to factory authentic parts, detail and quality.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter what its not really a great investment. By the time you do maintenance and mods any appreciation will break you about even. Not sure why everyone is so worried about resale so much. Were talking 10-15 k over 10 years. I dont see the 150k mile standard c4 appreciating to 100000.
If you want an investment put it in the stock market.
The days of picking a low milage nice car for $20 k are over. That’s where you could have made a little money.
Keep your toys and investments separate!!
Old 01-15-2018, 05:11 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
No matter what its not really a great investment. By the time you do maintenance and mods any appreciation will break you about even. Not sure why everyone is so worried about resale so much. Were talking 10-15 k over 10 years. I dont see the 150k mile standard c4 appreciating to 100000.
If you want an investment put it in the stock market.
The days of picking a low milage nice car for $20 k are over. That’s where you could have made a little money.
Keep your toys and investments separate!!
Thank you! Do what YOU want to it and then deal with the "repercussions" when it comes time to sell it. If you do everything tastefully then you might even add value by having a perfectly modded car that saves someone a lot of time and money. The problem with modded cars is that many people have horrible taste and do stupid things to their car that the majority of people don't like. LOL

I sold a 775hp RS7 with 10,000 miles for $10k over sticker (dealer was offering me 35k UNDER sticker). It was the perfect color, with the perfect mods and I actually had two people fighting/bidding over the car because they still couldn't have done it cheaper.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:47 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

I think streetdaddy summed it up for me. My house will be an investment my car is my hobby. Life is too short to not be completely happy with something from fear of doing something that probably doesnt really matter anyway i guess. And if i did take things to the next level with this car and decide to sell someone will probably love it and buy it for what it is. There are plenty of other bone stock c2 tiptronics about if that's what the buyer wants. And like tonymission said if I do it right it will probably sell for more anyway! I guess at the end of the day if you can afford to buy a porsche you can afford to lose a bit of money if nobody wants to buy your modded car anyway. So my conclusion is i will modify my car tastefully and without fear of repercussions and and hopefully never wanto sell it anyway! Cheers guys
Old 01-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

I think streetdaddy summed it up for me. My house will be an investment my car is my hobby. Life is too short to not be completely happy with something from fear of doing something that probably doesnt really matter anyway i guess. And if i did take things to the next level with this car and decide to sell someone will probably love it and buy it for what it is. There are plenty of other bone stock c2 tiptronics about if that's what the buyer wants. And like tonymission said if I do it right it will probably sell for more anyway! I guess at the end of the day if you can afford to buy a porsche you can afford to lose a bit of money if nobody wants to buy your modded car anyway. So my conclusion is i will modify my car tastefully and without fear of repercussions and and hopefully never wanto sell it anyway! Cheers guys
not to confuse you again i have another angle that i read on here a few months ago. For a little backstory my car looks great but probably needs a rebuild but i just don’t have 15 k or want to do it right now. Dr Mitch had a similar situation but spent all the $$ and really fixed his up nicely. But.., then he had a lot of $$$ in a toy out in the garage and guilt set in . He had a family and it didn’t get used that much so it took the joy out of it. Kinda like a garage queen isn’t as fun to drive for fear. He sold it( dont know how much if any of a hit he took).
My point is , sometimes it’s nice to have a toy car that you don’t have too much invested so you can enjoy the **** out of it. That’s kinda where im at. Ill probably get a rebuild at some point, or maybe i wont?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Be excited about the fact you have one of the most desirable Porsches on the planet. There are plenty of things you can do it to improve and personalize it without affecting the value.

I saved all of my stock parts with the thought that maybe I'll restore it to stock someday when I'm retired and bored.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:51 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vegas993
Be excited about the fact you have one of the most desirable Porsches on the planet. There are plenty of things you can do it to improve and personalize it without affecting the value.

I saved all of my stock parts with the thought that maybe I'll restore it to stock someday when I'm retired and bored.
well put. I didn’t mean to be so negative. Enjoy it. Keep a bin of old parts and mod away. ( maybe just don’t do louvered front headlamps!)
Old 01-16-2018, 11:45 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy

not to confuse you again i have another angle that i read on here a few months ago. For a little backstory my car looks great but probably needs a rebuild but i just don’t have 15 k or want to do it right now. Dr Mitch had a similar situation but spent all the $$ and really fixed his up nicely. But.., then he had a lot of $$$ in a toy out in the garage and guilt set in . He had a family and it didn’t get used that much so it took the joy out of it. Kinda like a garage queen isn’t as fun to drive for fear. He sold it( dont know how much if any of a hit he took).
My point is , sometimes it’s nice to have a toy car that you don’t have too much invested so you can enjoy the **** out of it. That’s kinda where im at. Ill probably get a rebuild at some point, or maybe i wont?
That's kind of where I'm at with my GT3 RS... the value almost makes it hard to enjoy. Or the dealership telling me they have to give me a low number because it has "high miles" (7000).

Quick Reply: Confused owner!