Sponsored by:

Noise when revving engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Rabs
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise when revving engine

When revving the engine especially when cold or pulling off I get this squeaking sound, if you let throttle off then rev it generally goes. I have removed rear blower motor as thought it might be that. Any thoughts on what it could be?

I thought it could also be power steering but even when on full lock there is no noise.

Cold here at the moment and seems to be worse.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:31 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

One of the two belts pictured is loose.
(My bet would be on the aft-most belt; it's looking 'wobbly' in that video.)
Regardless, that's belt slippage you're hearing.
FWIW, it's NOT the power steering belt. (That is buried at the front, right side of the engine. Nowhere near where you're hearing this. Besides, its a toothed belt and wouldn't make such slipping sounds.)

Suggest searching under "belt tightening", or in the DIY forum under such. It's not an overly complicated procedure.
Unfortunately, it DOES require a peculiar 12-pt (or "3-square") 10mm bit. More on that, here.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Rabs
Advanced

Ok thanks will check the tension on the belt but it doesn't push in too much when the engine is not running. Was also thinking it could be the bearing in alternator/fan?
Old 12-27-2017, 02:07 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabs
Ok thanks will check the tension on the belt but it doesn't push in too much when the engine is not running. Was also thinking it could be the bearing in alternator/fan?
A bearing wouldn't be my first guess as such would change pitch/frequency with rpm change but not likely disappear, as here.
It's the belt slipping (not providing enough friction) on the pulley surface (than to spool up either fan or alternator from idle to higher rpm.)
It could be the belt's old and hard -- so otherwise acceptable belt taughtness doesn't provide enough friction now.
Belts are in the $5-$10 range. May be time to do a change anyways, since pulley disassembly is in the offing, regardless.

Bearings wouldn't be my first 'go-to' on this.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Rabs
Advanced

Originally Posted by elbeee964
A bearing wouldn't be my first guess as such would change pitch/frequency with rpm change but not likely disappear, as here.
It's the belt slipping (not providing enough friction) on the pulley surface (than to spool up either fan or alternator from idle to higher rpm.)
It could be the belt's old and hard -- so otherwise acceptable belt taughtness doesn't provide enough friction now.
Belts are in the $5-$10 range. May be time to do a change anyways, since pulley disassembly is in the offing, regardless.

Bearings wouldn't be my first 'go-to' on this.
Thanks, I will get a belt ordered
Old 12-27-2017, 02:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

It definitely sounds like belt slip go me. You'll likely find the shaft becomes hot to touch with the friction generated heat.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Rabs
Advanced

Originally Posted by John McM
It definitely sounds like belt slip go me. You'll likely find the shaft becomes hot to touch with the friction generated heat.
Thanks John

Here is another clip -
Old 12-30-2017, 05:10 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

That's more reminiscent of a belt than a bearing, you'll need to do the shims to get the tension.

K
Old 12-30-2017, 05:39 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

I’m voting belt too
Old 12-31-2017, 12:01 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Just had a similar issue, Started the car after a bit of a winter lay up and a noise was there for a while, then it went away, then back etc. Finally after a day or two the belt gave up and snapped. Luckily it was in my drive and I am now considering a RS single belt type set up. Well worth pulling the belts and replacing. I heard you should only use the genuine Porsche belts too

Quick Reply: Noise when revving engine