Sponsored by:

stroker? 3.8 vram rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Moriartyhlms
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts
Default stroker? 3.8 vram rebuild questions

Hello Rennlist. I’m in the early days of a second rebuild of my car’s engine and am hoping for some good tribal knowledge. This is a street car with the option for occasional track use. Decisions that I’d greatly appreciate some input on:
  • What compression ratio should I run for our amazing California gasoline? Expert opinions I’ve gathered range from 10.8 to 11.0.
  • Can/should I re-use my cylinders and/or rings (4K miles since last rebuild)?
  • I’m seriously considering having my stock 964 crankshaft stroked to <=79mm, is this a terrible idea?
    • Assuming I go with the stroker, anybody know what dimension rods and pistons I should spec?
  • Should I swap to my stock oil pump to save my gt3 pump for a future build?

My last rebuild was about 4000 miles ago and I’m rebuilding again primarily to correct a compression ratio I had that was way excessive for California gas (12.3:1). Current state of engine (detailed build thread here):
  • vram intake conversion
  • 102mm (“3.8”) pistons & cylinders: Mahle, 109mm spigot, cause of 12.3 CR woe
  • Aasco valve springs and retainers
  • Carrillo rods
  • Gt3 oil pump
  • 993 injection, coils, ECU
  • droney B&B dual exhaust
  • Webcams 993 Supersport cams

And, at a minimum, here’s what I’m fairly certain of for the current rebuild:
  • custom pistons to correct compression ratio (hopefully Mahle’s again, current set too thin to machine down)
  • 993 intake valves
  • Taper vram runners (details here, post #'s 24, 29, 33)
  • Cam swap to custom grind for CA gas/smog
  • Adding 993 second oil filter console

Anyways, please let me how much of this sounds stupid.

Thanks.

And, because we all know threads without pictures suck, here are the latest gratuitous rebuild pictures:

Science. On my third Burette in a month after accidentally shattering the first two.

And the car:

Quick Reply: stroker? 3.8 vram rebuild questions