Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid all over the paint!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:00 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Brake Fluid all over the paint!

I was changing the calipers, pads, brake fluid on my buddy’s tundra when the hose on my motive bleeder blew and sprayed Pentosin Brake fluid all over the rear of my 964! It took some time to get water and car wash on the car. Also had to throw the wheels back on the truck so I could move the Porsche out of the garage to the hose. I have spotting all over the engine cover below the spoiler. Looks like dried water spots. My center reflector has all these white spots all over it too. Maybe I can just buff/compound the oxidation off? I am trying my hardest not to flip out and scream right now. Just so happens I washed it yesterday and took it for a nice long drive. Any idea what to do next? Paint and body just isn’t my thing
Old 11-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would do a secondary wipe down of the paint with isopropyl to insure that you have neutralized the brake fluid completely.

Pick up a bottle of Meguiars 205 Polish and a microfiber applicator, gently polish one of the areas to determine if polishing can remove the blemish. If you caught it soon enough you should be able to correct it by hand. If the spots are etched deeper into the clear coat you should get it to a detailer that can measure the paint and determine if you have enough clearcoat to work with to polish everything smooth.

You can use the 205 on the lights also, just remember to wipe the paint and plastic with isopropyl/water blend when you’re done. Don’t forget to wax, it buys some time when accidents like this happen.

Just a note on the Motive, instead of filling the canister with fluid just top off the cars reservoir and then attach the cap of the motive with no fluid in it. Pressurize the system and bleed like you normally would. Go slow and monitor the fluid in the reservoir and add more when needed so you don’t go empty. It takes longer but its safer and you also eliminate any contamination from old fluid in the motive.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:37 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same thing happen to my Motive only it covered the frunk with brake fluid. I washed it a few times and have no sign of damage after a couple years. That plastic hose seems to become brittle after a couple years of contact with brake fluid. I replaced it with clear gas line.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I had something similar happen to me. I washed the paint down with brake kleen. Then afterwards, I polished and waxed it. The paint is fine. I missed one spot with the brake clean, its inside the door, near the door hinge. There are a few white spots in the red paint but overall, I got lucky. No lasting damage.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...inyl-hose.html
Old 11-20-2017, 11:21 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

After hosing the rear of the car off and washing it I took Isopropyl alcohol and rubbed the rear of the car down. I ordered up a bottle of Meguiars 105 and 205, some polishing sponges I saw on YouTube. Ill try polishing it this weekend after Thanksgiving I also ordered 10ft of clear reinforced PVC hose to finish bleeding my buddy's brakes. The worst casualty is the center reflector. The red reflector unglued itself from the black plastic housing in the center and is bowed out. It was in pretty bad shape to start with but it worked. To replace the center reflector and two tail lights its around $1000. Throw in another $150 worth of gaskets and wow I need to look into selling a kidney or something on the black market in order to buy a new one ugh. Those things are expensive! Doesn't even make the car go faster..
Old 11-20-2017, 11:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Well, before you polish anything, just make sure you clay first. Good luck. I hope it turns out great.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:34 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Try some degreaser mixed with water first. Be very careful as brake fluid can raise the paint...
Old 11-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, I’m surprised at how it attacked the plastic. How long was the fluid on the paint/plastic before you removed it?

Suncoast seems to have the best pricing on the center reflector and corner lights, I just replaced mine too.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:10 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Two days of washing, compounding, glazing, waxing etc and the damage is gone. The back of the car looked so good I has to do the whole thing. Used Meguiars 105, 205, and Ultimate Wax. Looks pretty good. Now to figure out the tail light situation.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

^beautiful!
Old 11-25-2017, 11:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The paint looks fantastic!

Judging by the cracking in the tail lights I would say either try to find a used set in better condition or bite the bullet and get a new set. It makes a huge difference in the appearance of the rear.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:45 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

UGH.......Sunset is having a sale and I can get all three for $850! Finances are tight with Christmas and all. Might have to bite the bullet tomorrow. Maybe i can sell my light set for $200-300 to recoup some of the costs.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

If money is tight you could use the red overlay but if the center light is deformed it will still be noticeable.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:19 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

You can see below that it’s all faded and the upper edge has Separated from the housing. One of the mounting points is cracked off too. What gaskets are actually needed for the install of all three lights? Seems like another $100-200 in gaskets!

Last edited by mystert; 11-26-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:05 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The center light includes the rubber gasket on the top and on the left/right sides. The only gasket you’ll need to reuse is the bottom gasket which should hopefully still be in tact. The corners lights come with the leading edge gasket which as I understand is all that is necessary.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid all over the paint!