Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid all over the paint!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If your tail lights have the surrounding type of gaskets they can be reused, carefully peel them off (a hair dryer helps) and then glue them to the new tail lights . Because of the heat they are exposed to I dont recommend using 3M weatherstrip adhesive, A silicone based clear sealer/adhesive, used sparingly, will work well
Old 11-26-2017, 10:55 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
If your tail lights have the surrounding type of gaskets they can be reused, carefully peel them off (a hair dryer helps) and then glue them to the new tail lights . Because of the heat they are exposed to I dont recommend using 3M weatherstrip adhesive, A silicone based clear sealer/adhesive, used sparingly, will work well
I took the taillights out and there are no gaskets to be found.

OUCH! That hurt.........Placed the order for everything from Sunset, reflector, taillights, gaskets, for $950. Back end of the car should looks 1000x better now. Is there anything to prevent them from fading etc I can do? Ive seen posts about scotch guard paint, UV protective film, etc. Any definitive solution?
Old 11-26-2017, 11:29 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

I think it l;ooks better with the gaskets, its a tight fit so you may want to use a little soapy water and a credit card to slide them in 'I use Aerospace 303 on them once a month, truth be told the new ones are worse than the Original SWF and nothing will stop them from fading although I feel ,much of the pink tinging and cracks are from engine / exhaust heat

Please post when you get the new stuff, a few years back I ordered new ones and they were made in France, I am wondering if that is still the case
Old 11-26-2017, 11:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Nice, new lights will make the rear look new again!

If your car doesn’t sit outside for extended periods the new lights shouldn’t fade. I’m not aware of any products that will protect it from UV if it does see extended sunlight other than a car cover.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it l;ooks better with the gaskets, its a tight fit so you may want to use a little soapy water and a credit card to slide them in 'I use Aerospace 303 on them once a month, truth be told the new ones are worse than the Original SWF and nothing will stop them from fading although I feel ,much of the pink tinging and cracks are from engine / exhaust heat

Please post when you get the new stuff, a few years back I ordered new ones and they were made in France, I am wondering if that is still the case
Previous owner replaced my corner lights and they were manufactured in Germany, this was back in 2016.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:36 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

truth be told the new ones are worse than the Original SWF and nothing will stop them from fading although I feel ,much of the pink tinging and cracks are from engine / exhaust heat
This is unacceptable. The parts cost around $1000 and they are WORSE than the originals? The taillights on my old 2003 BMW e46 looked new and shiny after 15 years. My 1998 BMW e36 also looked great. My 2005 Toyota Tacoma taillights look great after 10 years. Porsche is a high end brand and I would expect a higher quality from them.

My car sits in the garage most of the time. Its a one car garage and its pretty tight. I usually just drive it in, turn the engine off, close the door and off I go, Maybe I should let it cool off a bit outside before putting it away to keep the lights from getting heat damaged. Hopefully removing the cat will help reduce the heat coming from the rear of the car.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:45 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Afshin, Aerospace 303 is SPF 40 for your car, seems to work on the lenses, its great on dash, rubber and vinyl

Mystert When you get the new lenses they will be great, its just that they dont hold up well like some other brands and you needed new ones anyhow, we all have to bite the bullet on these at least once
Old 11-27-2017, 01:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Afshin, Aerospace 303 is SPF 40 for your car, seems to work on the lenses, its great on dash, rubber and vinyl

Mystert When you get the new lenses they will be great, its just that they dont hold up well like some other brands and you needed new ones anyhow, we all have to bite the bullet on these at least once
303 has been a part of my detailing mainstays for years now and I agree it is excellent although I never considered it for the lenses.

I’m also a bit surprised that the new lenses are even worse than the older ones, you would think they’d figure our the formula and get it right the second time! Something I do after every drive is open the hood to let the heat escape more quickly rather than trapping it, time will tell if it helps.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid all over the paint!