Sponsored by:

964 Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Randall:

I'll have to appologize for editing (deleting) my original post. It turns out that I had some misleading info on my original post and I did not want to accuse someone of something they did not do.

First off, I am not selling my car.

To All interested (if anyone!):

To clarify, someone used photos of my car that are on www.964Registry.com to represent their car on eBay and also used these same photos to present their car to a legitimate auto broker in Oregon.

A buyer from another state contacted me because he saw these photos on eBay and at this Oregon broker's website. He also remembered seeing the same photo's on 964Registry.com. He put 2 + 2 together, found my name on the 964Registry.com site, looked me up in the phone book and called me thinking my car was for sale.

It all was very confusing. I spoke with the broker who was very nice and seems legitimate. I also spoke with the private party who inquired on my car. He was another innocent bystander just trying to find a nice 964. All three of us were misled because this seller was using my photos to represent his car and my photos were showing up on the broker's site, eBay and on 964Registry.com.

So, as you can tell from the eBay auction listed above, this auction (with my car's photo) didn't have any bidding or transactions taking place. BUT, as always, buyer beware. The car in the picture was not the actual item for sale.

While it's not illegal to copy or download non-copywrited photos from the internet, I just think it's a bit stupid to use someone else's photos to sell your car. It's a small world. A few quick phone calls on my part lined things up in a hurry. It's amazing who knows who.

Jay
Old 12-12-2003, 05:54 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops. Sorry Jay. That was tongue-in-cheek (thus, the "razz" emoticon ).

Oh, and that person selling "your car" did a lousy job of marketing. Not a single bid! People should have been all over a car as nice as your own (oops, there I go again with the ).
Old 12-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Randall: I missed that smiley... Sorry!

When the gentleman called about my car yesterday and went on about paying $200 to secure the car and then stating it was on eBay and another site, etc. etc., it caused me some initial concern! I was wondering when the flat bed was going to show up and haul my car away!!!

You can't trust anyone these days!
Old 12-13-2003, 03:39 PM
JoeW
Pro

Sigh... I suppose this is a pretty decent compliment to the Baltic Blue beauty -- out of all the Porsche's in all the world ... irritating to say the least. J
Old 12-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Jay H
Drifting

I did get a hold of the guy selling his similar '90 C2 on eBay that was using my photos. He seemed innocent enough and told me that he took some digital pics of his car, didn't like how they turned out and just thought he would use my pics since he liked them and we have similar cars.

Little did he know he caused me a bunch of long distance phone calls to Oregon (including an Oregon police department who helped sort things out with the broker), lost time at work, confused a potential buyer of his car, pissed me off, and irritated the broker he was working with. All over 3 stupid pictures.

I learned my lesson too.

Jay
90 964
Old 12-13-2003, 10:51 PM
OTEcupracer
Rennlist Member

John,
Whats up with the western union type of payment, with specifics to "No Paypal". Am looking to buy a trailer in NC and those are his terms
Old 12-14-2003, 12:18 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by OTEcupracer

Whats up with the western union type of payment, with specifics to "No Paypal". Am looking to buy a trailer in NC and those are his terms
It limits your rights of recourse. Once you send the order then the money is gone and if the seller doesn't deliver or the goods aren't as described then you have to sue the seller. With credit card payments - including credit card payments through PayPal then you have rights against the credit card company in those circumstances.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:04 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the seller's standpoint, there's an upcharge for using PayPal. I've actually contacted a seller and told them I wanted to buy the item before the auction ended. Instead of asking for PayPal, the seller (a retailer) asked for a direct, credit card payment to reduce transaction costs. And yes, I did receive the item without a problem.

Maybe it's simply a matter of avoiding the charge. In any event, you'll want to leave yourself some options, as Ruairidh suggests.

BTW, OTEcupracer, can we get a pic of your 964? Is this one of those Steve Patti imports?
Old 12-14-2003, 08:15 PM
John Miles
Pro

Originally posted by OTEcupracer
John,
I understand it is possible for the buyer to collect a payment from Western Union and leave fake/bogus identity details and thus run off with your money with no way of you tracing them. Some folks don't like the paypal fee so just offer to pay this yourself.

But take care on this deal. When a seller makes it difficult to pay then ask questions. Have you tried the "I'll come over (send my local friend over) with cash" yet? Have you spoken on the phone yet?
What is the feedback rating of this seller?

Good Luck,
John

Quick Reply: 964 Scam?