Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G50 gearbox, ever had any problems???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 AM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had complete gearbox failure on a C4 at approx. 30,000 miles and 8 years of ownership (have the car from new and was/is a daily driver).

Started by occasional random difficulties selecting low gear. Didn’t pay much attention, and a couple of weeks later the complete gearbox seized, leaving me stranded in the middle of central London. By “seized” I mean the gearshift remained in neutral and simply couldn’t be moved to any gear. Was advised not to bother with repair, but simply replace it with a low mileage used box. Which is what I did.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:19 PM
F2 Iceland
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like i have to take the gearbox from my c4 in the next weeks,,,, There's is a rattling sound in first gear and only there,,,, Can hear inside and from the outside,,, and it's a little bit loud,,,, Changed the oil and there was no bits of metal or something like that in the oil,,,,

Has anyone had a problem with first gear???
Old 11-25-2007, 06:30 PM
buellrunner
Instructor

Slight grind into 3rd when cold...gets hot, goes away.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:43 AM
thechairman
AutoX

Coming in late to this thread. My '90 C4 has developed a 'kick-out' from 3rd gear under power. It's infrequent, but worries me about potential 'bad timing' otherwise known as apexing under load and having it kickout - unsetting the car. I don’t want to get into the habit of 'nanny-ing' the shifter and cornering one-handed. -- Any help, thoughts, ideas or solutions?
Old 12-31-2020, 05:03 AM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine Thoughts get it fixed, maybe an rebuild.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by thechairman
Coming in late to this thread. My '90 C4 has developed a 'kick-out' from 3rd gear under power. It's infrequent, but worries me about potential 'bad timing' otherwise known as apexing under load and having it kickout - unsetting the car. I don’t want to get into the habit of 'nanny-ing' the shifter and cornering one-handed. -- Any help, thoughts, ideas or solutions?
Stop driving it immediately until you understand what the issue is. First up, I would check the simple stuff like linkages and engine mounts. I had a rare selector shaft breakage and it would have cost a lot less to repair if I had it checked immediately.

post #240 and #248 https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...refurb-17.html

Last edited by John McM; 12-31-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:04 AM
IrocMan
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

G50s are bullet-proof and failures or wearing are typically coming from the driver or the oil.
With a LWFW, the driver is even more responsible for sparing the synchromesh particularly on gears 2 and 3.
The G64 is also a very good box, with a small weakness on the multidisc clutch to the front output and I've heard of (but not seen myself) the differential wearing out supposedly because of the limited slip actuator but I suspect it's combined with poor lubrication conditions.

For kit car projects (even non Porsche based) these two boxes are amongst the most popular choices for a good reason ;-)

Quick Reply: G50 gearbox, ever had any problems???