Sponsored by:

964 ROW question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 11:38 AM
964TURBOCHAS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dukmon
I figured a difference with ROW Japanese cars would be a distinct Marlboro or Camel fragrance.
LOL
Old 10-13-2017, 12:34 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JGC930
does anyone know what are the exact differences between the Japanese cars and the US cars?
The engines are exactly the same as the USA. The catalytic converter is slightly different in that it has a bung for a temperature sensor. The wiring for the power window switches (non-powered when ignition is off), headlamps (H4/H5), turn signals, speedometer UOMs, brake warning lamp (ISO/ECE symbol), rearview mirror inscription, warning buzzer, microswitch in the driver's seatbelt latch, vin plates, different bumper shocks.

The license plate light, the fuel sticker and the rear center reflector also have different part numbers from a ROW model. I'm not seeing any J specific country code designation on the side mirrors that make them different from the USA other than for the inscription etching required on the US models. Maybe someone can point out the differences? Porsche's importer in Japan could have base specified all models without a sunroof but there are non-sunroof coupes in the US also...

For more exact differences you are better off starting with Adrian's book to see the model year differences ROW/USA and then compare editions of PET. The only real substantive difference is the ride height?

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 10-13-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:52 PM
wilber
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The engines are exactly the same as the USA. The catalytic converter is slightly different in that it has a bung for a temperature sensor. The wiring for the power window switches (non-powered when ignition is off), headlamps (H4/H5), turn signals, speedometer UOMs, brake warning lamp (ISO/ECE symbol), rearview mirror inscription, warning buzzer, microswitch in the driver's seatbelt latch, vin plates, different bumper shocks.

The license plate light, the fuel sticker and the rear center reflector also have different part numbers from a ROW model. I'm not seeing any J specific country code designation on the side mirrors that make them different from the USA other than for the inscription etching required on the US models. Maybe someone can point out the differences? Porsche's importer in Japan could have base specified all models without a sunroof but there are non-sunroof coupes in the US also...

For more exact differences you are better off starting with Adrian's book to see the model year differences ROW/USA and then compare editions of PET. The only real substantive difference is the ride height?

What about the weight? ROW no sunroof vs US spec Sun roof?
Old 10-13-2017, 02:06 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the shark has jumped the room. there is some good info, between the lines.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Then why are you collecting them?
I had them one or two at a time, i dont have all at same time. I dont collect.
if i see one with color or mods i like more, i will buy that and sell the one i have.
when you are buying them and working on them, tearing them apart, drive them, you learn really fast ;-)

Originally Posted by greens
Yeah your masterful attempt at reverse psychology isn't going to work here mooty.
i am not sure what you mean.i have had ROW and USA, i would take which specific example that's in better shape. their country of origin is not important.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:19 PM
There's no Sub!
Advanced

Default Spoiler

why spoiler on RSA and not RS?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:57 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Marketing! PCNA needed something that would visually differentiate the RSA from the standard C2.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

What needs to be done to the ROW cars to pass smog and be registered in CA?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by wilber
I think Engine and suspension are Euro Spec.. suspension sit a lower than US cars and engine may be is not as detune like the US cars.
Originally Posted by wilber
What about the weight? ROW no sunroof vs US spec Sun roof?
Jason answered your questions and as said a lot of ROW cars were optioned with a sunroof. If not you are looking at 40 pounds difference which is not noticeable when driving these. The sunroof complete weighs 45 pounds and the replacement panel to fill the void is 5 pounds. The biggest advantage of no sunroof is added head room and clean roof lines.

If these follow all other ROW imported 911's the ROW cars will be worth less than a US counterpart here. Although no doubt a ROW RS will command a huge premium over a C2. In the end all cars need to be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:00 AM
There's no Sub!
Advanced

Originally Posted by cobalt
Jason answered your questions and as said a lot of ROW cars were optioned with a sunroof. If not you are looking at 40 pounds difference which is not noticeable when driving these. The sunroof complete weighs 45 pounds and the replacement panel to fill the void is 5 pounds. The biggest advantage of no sunroof is added head room and clean roof lines.

If these follow all other ROW imported 911's the ROW cars will be worth less than a US counterpart here. Although no doubt a ROW RS will command a huge premium over a C2. In the end all cars need to be evaluated on a case by case basis.
is it possible to fill the area with glass without being able to open? It would be nice and less weight. Anyone ever seen that done?
Old 12-12-2017, 02:15 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the row is worth as much - or more - in Canada. the added features are worth a few bucks. priced out H4 lighting upgrades lately? the rear fog light set up is also a nice option on the wet coast. me? i like the side markers, as well. not being 4 x 4 height is nice.
usually Japanese cars here - impeccable condition - in most cases.
disclaimer - i own an American model. wish it had been a Euro. patriotism falls aside - when cars are involved.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

To each their own.

The big + for US directly to me is the ability to check actual mileage and history the rest is something I will change anyhow and I hate the side markers. fog lights are worthless to me but I do use them as additional brake lights.
Originally Posted by creaturecat
the row is worth as much - or more - in Canada. the added features are worth a few bucks. priced out H4 lighting upgrades lately? the rear fog light set up is also a nice option on the wet coast. me? i like the side markers, as well. not being 4 x 4 height is nice.
disclaimer - i own an American model. wish it had been a Euro. patriotism falls aside - when cars are involved.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

There was an ROW 964 for sale on RL several months ago. I wouldn't mind one in a less common color.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:13 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by creaturecat
ROW 964 with side markers, rear fog light, no airbags, etc.

Japanese import. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Documentation was complete ......... in Japanese.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:41 AM
GPK911
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of ROW cars were optioned with a sunroof, non-sunroof is rare.
My car is a non-sunroof European version, but has option M650 (on the trunk sticker), how about that?

Quick Reply: 964 ROW question