Sponsored by:

Steering Pump chirping

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:26 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Pump chirping

Yesterday after gassing up I heard a 'chirp chirp chirp' from engine bay as I was pulling out. Turns out the 'chirps' are coming from power steering pump according to stethoscope.

I then checked fluid and noticed it was low (below min), so I topped it up. Pump had been pulled in shop for RSR seal installation. I guess fluid wasn't topped up.

My first thought is always the most expense, pump is failing. Its not leaking, so I'm not sure its the seals, but I guess (after looking at rebuild threads) that worn internal seals might cause internal rubbing/squeaking.

I'd hate to pull pump for rebuild and then reinstall only to find out it should have been replaced.

Anyone with similar experience; advice?

Thanks a lot,

Dan
Old 09-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

You can rebuild the pump very easily. It just has a few seals inside. I did it to mine while I was rebuilding the engine. There was nothing wrong prior but I figured after 20 years & 237K of miles, it was time.

http://rennbay.com/power-steering-pump-seal-kit.html
Old 09-25-2017, 04:04 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

i couldn't find a DIY for removing pump from a C4. Just a bunch of suggestions, some of which are ignored by others (remove rt heat exchanger) without apparent problem.

One suggestion mentioned for the C4 is to lower engine about an inch making access much easier. Poster said to put wheels on blocks, not sure why.

Will C4 fr diff rotate to accommodate engine lowering?

I will have car up on lift/ so blocking wheels seems out of the question. I think I recall suggestions to lower engine to get at starter. I'll go take a look. Off I go ....
Old 09-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Yes, you can lower the engine a couple inches without a problem. Just keep an eye on the wiring and hoses.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:13 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Before you pull the pump, make sure the pump is getting fluid. My reservoir screen was plugged up so much that the fluid was not flowing to the pump at greater than a trickle. I swapped out the reservoir with a new one, flow was back to normal, and the pump has been silent again for about a year.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:55 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Thanks Rob and Robert. I'll combing pulling the reservoir with a fluid change.

Dan
Old 09-27-2017, 10:51 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Low fluid will make the pump "squeal"...on my car it happened only when making a sharp left turn. Per Robert, definitely change the reservoir also.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

My local 911 mechanic says he has rarely seen these pumps fail. And he has worked on a lot of 964/993's. Yes super high mileage is a big factor, but excluding that, the lack of fluid is far more likely.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:57 AM
dlpalumbo
Racer

I will be replacing reservoir and flushing fluid. Just waiting for new unit to show up.

I've pulled reservoir and couldn't really tell if filter was plugged as I had siphoned fluid from tank beforehand. Wasn't about to test it by refilling it as I had made enough of a mess.

Should have new tank by early next week. Stay tuned.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:00 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Changed fluid and reservoir and I still get a howling screech at 1800 rpm. Goes away at higher rpms as far as I can tell.

I put my stethoscope on it and there's no doubt its the pump. I could even feel it as I held the scope's diaphragm.

Could it be the belt??

The pump had to come off to install rsr seals on rocker shafts. I had the shop do this. Maybe things didn't go back correctly??

Dont know. Sigh.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:35 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

If it was okay before your shop was in there, then the answer seems pretty obvious? Easily likely that they removed the lower p.s. pulley and didn't torque it back up. That would cause the pulley to slip and make all sorts of terrible noises.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:39 AM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Originally Posted by -nick
If it was okay before your shop was in there, then the answer seems pretty obvious? Easily likely that they removed the lower p.s. pulley and didn't torque it back up. That would cause the pulley to slip and make all sorts of terrible noises.
My thinking as well. When I tried to picture the sound I thought of one of the pulleys rubbing. This and other collateral damage make it highly unlikely I'll be taking car back to this shop. Really disappointing. Great guy. Very enthusiastic. Very knowledgeable about air cooled cars. Just overworked.

So I'll take a peak at it when I have time in a week or so.

Thanks for all the comments.

Dan
Old 10-06-2017, 11:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpalumbo
My thinking as well. When I tried to picture the sound I thought of one of the pulleys rubbing. This and other collateral damage make it highly unlikely I'll be taking car back to this shop. Really disappointing. Great guy. Very enthusiastic. Very knowledgeable about air cooled cars. Just overworked.

So I'll take a peak at it when I have time in a week or so.

Thanks for all the comments.

Dan
Good luck, the pump is well nestled in there.
Attached Images   
Old 10-06-2017, 03:19 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Bummer to hear. You can get to it by removing the secondary muffler, muffler bracket, then the metal cover. It isn't as awful as it looks.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Removing the air box is helpful too, and not much work at all...

Quick Reply: Steering Pump chirping