Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Cooled: I Get It Now (Except Not Really?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 12:07 PM
ZCPSnob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cooled: I Get It Now (Except Not Really?)

Disclaimer: I'm on the cusp of being a millennial (mid 30s), but I've had a strong interest in cars ever since I was 5 years old. I've had a number of modern sporty cars (981 CS, 997.2 C4S, F80 M3 to name a few), and club race sport bikes and cars. I'm a Director of Analytics and spend most of the day using the left side of my brain, so to decompress I have cars to enjoy.

Earlier this spring, I purchased a 964 C2 Targa 5spd... my first foray into the air cooled car world. Having only had a tiny bit of seat time in a 993 and none in a 964, I was taking a bit of a chance, especially paying on the high end of the market. In fact, I was anxious enough that I wouldn't enjoy the car that I waited a month before driving it (and also to wait for my Collector plates to arrive. The good news is that you don't pay tax in my state when registering as a collector).

Now, after nearly a thousand miles in the car, I can safely say that this will be a forever car for me. It's hard to put into words the emotional connection I've formed with the car. In my opinion the 964 is the best looking generation, so that doesn't hurt. But as we know, lust doesn't last. So what is it? The imperfections? Sounds? Smells? The car is quick enough to not be boring, yet not so fast that you can still have fun on a casual drive.

When I think about the cars that stick in my mind as favorites, it's actually less about the car and more about the memories created in/with it. I've already found myself making excuses to stay out just a little longer in the evenings without the top on.

Motor on.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats on your new targa. Something about driving the 964 with an open roof. i Do not see the fuss over the coupe and why they are valued more. although targas seem to be creeping up more then cabs. i'll take my drop top any day of the week over a coupe. especially this time of year or early spring. if you're not racing it then why not drop the top and enjoy the open air. must be the biker in me.
have fun with it and don't get caught in the rain.

964's are the best looking porsches and best looking targas as well. you hit a home run it sounds like. Good for you
Old 09-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Congratulations. I love driving my C4 cab with the top down but also love our C2 coupe for its stiffness and lighter weight. Depending on the situation, each is the better car.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Very nice!

Midnight Blue or Amazon Green?

That picture makes me want to buy a targa and go for a ride not to mention move to your state. No sales tax on collector cars!!!

I wouldn't sweat the price it looks to be a prime example which makes a great experience even better.

I think you will find the bond grows stronger over time.

Last edited by cobalt; 09-07-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Congrats on the 964. They're amazing cars. For me, the love comes from the character and utility of the car. I find it a very usable classic. Unlike, say, an e-type jaguar, which has more character and less utility. Or, a 997, which has more utility and less character. The 964 is the sweet spot.

Enjoy/
Old 09-07-2017, 05:01 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds to me like you do "get it". Enjoy the experiences.

Neil
Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 AM
P964nut
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the club. I'm on my 5th 911 over the last 30+ years and have recently put my motoring clock back to where I was over 20 years ago with a 964 C2 Targa. I think it's a sweet spot in the long history of the 911.

.. classic looks
.. quick enough for public roads
.. some sensible "modern" driver aids.. ABS, power assisted steering, heating and AC that (mostly) works
.. compliant, comfortable, engaging ride
.. open top for nice (and not so nice) days
.. arguably one of the best sounding 911 engines
.. easily tweaked to suit personal preference

The only moan really is wind noise at speed with the roof on... will be trying to improve on that this winter.

Mines a keeper for the foreseeable future. Enjoy your car.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats on the Targa! Definitely post up more pictures when you get a chance, she looks like a beauty.

I totally understand where you're coming from and I purchased mine for similar reasons. It's engaging regardless of how the car is driven but I will say it can handle corners at much higher speeds than I expected.

Personally I have always preferred the Targa over the coupe or convertible, you truly get the best of both worlds and a unique look not seen in any other car in the world.

Enjoy in good health.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:09 PM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Ferdinand Porsches's motto was to produce automobiles which had to be 'reliable and of high-quality sports cars, of a high utilitarian value'." {wikipedia}

u·til·i·tar·i·an
yo͞oˌtiləˈterēən/Submit
adjective
designed to be useful or practical rather than attractive

It's what makes fighter aircraft so lovely. Business like. Built for singularity of purpose.

People drawn to purity of design (mechanical in nature, i.e....tractors, race cars, etc) will be drawn to these cars.

They're like no other. (one man's opinion...)

Congrats on your new car.

It's lovely. It's cool. It's timeless....

Old 09-11-2017, 07:59 PM
AW21
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoyed your post! I agree, even leisure drives in these cars are a pleasure.

Enjoy each and every mile!

cheers!
Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

the 964 is the best looking and the ultimate Targa in my opinion..it just looks "right"
Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm from Detroit and work within the automotive world. All indications point toward more autonomous functionality within cars and less driver involvement. It's getting more clear that we're heading toward an electrified, autonomous mobility world.

Check the last two paragraphs of this story for some hope! The article is interesting, but the last paragraph is relevant to the OPs thread.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...through-2.html
Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmistry
I'm from Detroit and work within the automotive world. All indications point toward more autonomous functionality within cars and less driver involvement. It's getting more clear that we're heading toward an electrified, autonomous mobility world.

Check the last two paragraphs of this story for some hope! The article is interesting, but the last paragraph is relevant to the OPs thread.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...through-2.html
I hope so.

Quick Reply: Air Cooled: I Get It Now (Except Not Really?)