Sponsored by:

Which chip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 05:19 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dove,

My experience is like that of tonytaylor. I have a 93 RSA with an autothority mass air flow which came w/ a chip http://www.autothority.com/mass_flow.htm, I don't work for them, but do live only 15 mi. away. Anyway, I bought mine new, but not from them, I bought it from a mechanic at a local P dealership. I spent $1,600 USD installed, but think that may be closer to $2,300 or so from Autothority. I can't believe what a difference it made. Have not had it dyno'd, but my guess is 40-50 bhp. Seriously, it is a new car. One thing though, the throttle response has been improved to the point of it being closer to a race car and is not traffic friendly....but that is how I like it. Also, if you dump on it coming out of a corner, you will get power oversteer, so you need to apply carefully.

I had it installed at my P dealership with their diagnostics and do still have a bit of an erratic idle, but have not had the time to get back to the dealer.

So not sure what a chip alone will do, but if you have some extra $ look to get a mass flow and let me know how you like it if you do.

Good Luck
Old 12-06-2003, 08:48 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Cay
I had this "50HP +" Kit in my Speedster:
http://www.albertweb.de/Porsche/Tuning/motronicl2.jpg

It costs me 5000 German Marks equal to $2.5 K. I´m driven this Kit over a range from 40K Km`s. The dyno graph shows 258 HP BEFORE (most 964
engines comes out from factory with more than 250 HP) and 298HP after - so it`s a real 40+ HP Kit.

I never had probs with it and the fuel consuption was around 1 liter more.
The increase of power was very good feelable but I dont would do that again. Why? This kit makes the 964 VERY aggressive and the most of power increase you get above 5000 rpm and so you are driving like a idiot.
Snip...
I have the same kit on my RS America it's from FVD. The reason that you are only making power on the top end is that the FVD tuning is very lean by ~ 10% which is killing the low end torque. I had Cyntex dyno tune the car at the time with a cat-bypass see the chart below (A stock 964 will pull 200-210 whp on this dyno and Cyntex dyno tuned 964 with a cat-bypass will pull 220-225 wph). My car made great power all over the rpm range. You should have your car dyno tuned.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Dave,
Thank you for your valuable post. I assume this is the FVD 25 HP kit (they also make a 50 HP kit which includes a new DME and is VERY expensive).
Porsche also still sell their engine upgrade kits for the 964 and 964 Turbo.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Cay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fine tuning from chip on a dyno is the professional way, agree totally.

but normally there are a few tuning kits around and get distributed under
other names from all the aftermarket tuners. and only the big tuners have
a own dyno and - more important - skills from dyno tuning.

I´ve been not very experienced with engine tuning at this time and so I choosed the easy way and just ordered a kit.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:44 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Just to add my two cents on this rather funny topic!!!

I chiped my car but for a totally different reason than hoping to get 10 or 15HP!

The reason I did it was because I have a Lightweight Flywheel and a RS clutch, and that my original DME Chip wasn't able to cope with the loss of mass inertia from the original DMF (One reason between others why the RS had another DME programm, this info is based on a mechanic who worked at this time at Zuffenhausen in the engine department)

To resume my engine stalled regularly (hot, cold, warm) and in every weather condition! Installing a copied RS Chip mainly solved the stalling problem, BUT and ther is a BIG BUT...I have to agree with Adrian I did ABSOLUTELY not feel a horsepower increase of any sort!!

My engine is livier than stock engines not because of the RS Chip but because of the LWF.

Everyone claiming to feel a noticeable improvement, by just chiping the car are IMHO dreaming....and since they spent a heck of cash its's in the human nature that they believe that there was or is a noticeable improvement.

Another thing wich is important to mention is the fact that the seller of a chip always mention that: 10-15HP are hopefully gained only in combination with The cup pipe and a adapted highflow air filter. BUT and again BUT...no serious tuner will garantee you that your specific car will have 10-15HP more. They always mention that everything depends on the general condition of your engine and the atmospherical conditions of the measure and the tolerance of theyr DYNO.

Put everything together and you'll ghave to admit that the upgrade to a modified DME Chip is cosmetics for the owner's ego, who can then proudly argue: "My Car has a RoockRufRinspeedFVDTechartOfskySuperdooper Chip, the change was tremendous...yes yes I swear you I can kill every ENZO I right out"

Ok so Paul, just my two cents, take it as you want but...it's a fact ...as Adrian said!!!!

Gruetzi Thomas
Old 12-07-2003, 12:02 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Thomas Linser
Just to add my two cents on this rather funny topic!!!

I chiped my car but for a totally different reason than hoping to get 10 or 15HP!

The reason I did it was because I have a Lightweight Flywheel and a RS clutch, and that my original DME Chip wasn't able to cope with the loss of mass inertia from the original DMF (One reason between others why the RS had another DME programm, this info is based on a mechanic who worked at this time at Zuffenhausen in the engine department)

To resume my engine stalled regularly (hot, cold, warm) and in every weather condition! Installing a copied RS Chip mainly solved the stalling problem, BUT and ther is a BIG BUT...I have to agree with Adrian I did ABSOLUTELY not feel a horsepower increase of any sort!!

My engine is livier than stock engines not because of the RS Chip but because of the LWF.

Everyone claiming to feel a noticeable improvement, by just chiping the car are IMHO dreaming....and since they spent a heck of cash its's in the human nature that they believe that there was or is a noticeable improvement.

Another thing wich is important to mention is the fact that the seller of a chip always mention that: 10-15HP are hopefully gained only in combination with The cup pipe and a adapted highflow air filter. BUT and again BUT...no serious tuner will garantee you that your specific car will have 10-15HP more. They always mention that everything depends on the general condition of your engine and the atmospherical conditions of the measure and the tolerance of theyr DYNO.

Put everything together and you'll ghave to admit that the upgrade to a modified DME Chip is cosmetics for the owner's ego, who can then proudly argue: "My Car has a RoockRufRinspeedFVDTechartOfskySuperdooper Chip, the change was tremendous...yes yes I swear you I can kill every ENZO I right out"

Ok so Paul, just my two cents, take it as you want but...it's a fact ...as Adrian said!!!!

Gruetzi Thomas
Thomas, Thanks to you and other rennlisters for the feedback.Its all be very interesting some for and some against the idea of a chip.Bearing in mind what I have read I have decided that I am not going to chip my car I am going to keep it stock apart from an induction kit, not for power gains but just so it sounds cool! I have to agree that unless you really go for it in the tuning department whats the point?a stock 964 is plenty of power for a road car,if cars are being tracked yeh I can see the point of big power gains.So which induction kits best????
Paul
C2 cab
Old 12-07-2003, 12:35 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dove,

There is a new thread on air intakes, check it out. Once again if you go Autothority, the chip comes with it. But I agree with your point about the track.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Dove!

You're welcome!!! the 964 board is there to give you response to every question you can ask on the 964...at least most of them!!

To answer your question about the direct air intake...honnestly it's about your taste for the filter colour as to be, blue, red, green, yellow! They all work after the same principle, on layer of oiled cotton tissue sandwiched between a metal mesch on each side!!!

Also I would choose a reputed maker..perhaps the one with two letters and red filters ;0). As for improving the sound more... just go for a cup pipe or a "g" pipe!!

My car has the cup pipe, and IMHO it's nice, a friend of mine has the "g" pipe and despite the fact that it's less expensive the sound is even deeper as with the cup pipe, I personally prefer the sound of the "g"pipe, but I bought my car with the cup pipe already bolted in place so I didn't bother replacing it.

Hope this helps a bit

Gruetzi Thomas
Old 12-07-2003, 03:01 PM
914und993
Pro

When I had my 964 I sprung for a chip from Autothority - partly because the car also had a LWF and I was trying to deal with the stalling issues.

I made some 3rd gear 3000 rpm to 6700 rpm time runs with the stock chip and the Autothority chip on the same day (after DME reset and adaptation). There was no improvement in the timed runs with the chip. It helped the LWF stalling issue a little, but it was still a problem.

For me, it was a waste of money and a disappointment. YMMV.

Chip
Old 12-08-2003, 01:14 PM
delhi
Racer

From my limited experience in engine tuning, I find that unless a car is under-tuned from the factory (a la North American 3.2 Carreras) an upgrade in chip would yield good result. Or if a car is highly modified and the chip is used to take in all the mods.
In this case, I would almost always prefer ECU reflash if possible. Also ECU tuning works best with forced inducted engines IMHO.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:47 AM
schiles
Advanced

Great post, I think Im going to pursue Adrian's advice and go for weight reduction first....starting with the driver.

I think 50lbs off me translates to about 20 more hp!!

Steve
Old 12-09-2003, 05:33 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my 964, I purchased a 'starchip' which CLAIMED about 290 bhp, the actual result was constant 'pinking' and rattling. After no time at all I took it to AMD where it was actually down slightly on power (compared to a previous dyno run at AMD 6 months earlier). Geoff then remapped the car properly and produced a real 275 BHP and an increase in mid range torque. The results were definitely noticeable and like your own car was a cabriolet. The final result was (from memory) 220 at the rear wheels.
My 2 pence worth - do it once - do it right!
Old 12-09-2003, 12:33 PM
delhi
Racer

AMD? So it's you're running some kinda Athlon-based chip? If you overclock it will it give more hp?
Old 12-09-2003, 12:38 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're probably right in that the difference isn't enormous. I've done a major tune up now though; to a 993 Turbo! Now there's an upgrade i can recommend!
Old 12-09-2003, 09:48 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

delhi, yeah latest version to get would be the 64-bit processing. With some tech knowledge you could do a dual processor, one each for each bank of cylinders and one each for the distributors. Faster processing = faster ignition = faster rpm = faster car. I figure you could double the power to...oh...500bhp

just make sure you use linux OS cos you don't want to see your gauges turn blue suddenly at 150mph and have to reboot

Quick Reply: Which chip?