FabSpeed RSR install in my 964

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts
Default FabSpeed RSR install in my 964

Hi guys,

I ended up going with the Fabspeed RSR system for my 964. Multiple reasons for this. I like that it's US made and seemed to have good support. I've had other Fabspeed products and been pleased.

I went with no heat, sort of a minimalist approach, which is in keeping with my car.

Removing the heat exchangers wasn't terrible. I had time, due to the build time for Fabspeed, so I soaked all the studs in penetrating oil daily for a week or so. No issues on removal. A 13mm universal shallow socket is a must.
Attachment 1245667Attachment 1245666

The before shots. It was a great feeling to remove the secondary muffler and the heat exchangers. The weight is significant and they make it difficult to really see the engine. I've always disliked them, so it was cathartic to remove it all. Here's another pic. If anyone needs a Cup Bypass, Cat Bypass, and heat exchanger/ headers, pm me.
Attachment 1245672

Here's what went in. Much cleaner!
Attachment 1245674

So, I installed all new studs and gaskets. There are gaskets, btw. It's easy to overlook this if you simply R&R an exhaust on your 964. I wire brushed the ports/ surfaces and it cleaned things up, making it easier to see the gasket rings. Ordered new ones from pelican and swapped them out. All studs were given some copper anti seize.
Attachment 1245677Attachment 1245679Attachment 1245678Attachment 1245681Attachment 1245680

The headers went on nicely and the fit was good. Each piece had an inspection sticker, dated with my production date. Nice to see.

I started the job, as all good garage wrench turning should, with one of these:
Attachment 1245690

Then got to work.

Attachment 1245685Attachment 1245686Attachment 1245687Attachment 1245688Attachment 1245692Attachment 1245691

I went with competition tips. Was planning to do a single outlet, but I didn't get the block-off for the left side outlet that was supposed to accompany the system. I called Fabspeed, but the call wasn't returned. I'm sure if I persisted in contacting, they'd have handled this, but I didn't have the energy or time. Regardless, I decided to go dual tips anyway and didn't want to wait for the new left bumper. I pulled a Nakai-San (sans listlessly dangling cigarette) and just dremmel freehand cut an exhaust port in the bumper. I actually like the outlaw, slightly not giving a **** look of it.

Attachment 1245684Attachment 1245683Attachment 1245682Attachment 1245689

All things considered, the Fabspeed system it extremely good. The sound is low, aggressive and just glorious. I have no issue with drone throughout the rev range. The fitment was extremely good, with the exception what seemed slightly off on the inlets from the muffler to header pieces. It took real effort to get these installed correctly. Some of this is to be expected. It was, in my opinion, acceptable.

Overall, I love the weight savings and simplification of the heatless headers. They're clean and unobtrusive. I realize this is subjective butt dyno, but the car seems to fev sharper and feels truly faster. It is a noticeable uptick in performance. The sounds above 4K is fantastic.

I'll post some sound clips for anyone considering the system. Enjoy your weekend all/
Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmistry
I pulled a Nakai-San (sans listlessly dangling cigarette) and just dremmel freehand cut an exhaust port in the bumper. I actually like the outlaw, slightly not giving a **** look of it.

-------------------------

Overall, I love the weight savings and simplification of the heatless headers. They're clean and unobtrusive. I realize this is subjective butt dyno, but the car seems to fev sharper and feels truly faster. It is a noticeable uptick in performance. The sounds above 4K is fantastic.
Tim: you're such a bada**! I can just see you now working on your installation (though I'm picturing a cigarette for dramatic effect)

Please pardon my delay in response to your inquiry, I recently had a death in the family and was out of the office for a few days. Thank you for that stellar review as well, great to see you enjoying that system as much as we do! It gives the car more of a raw and aggressive yet unintrusive sound that it so desperately yearns for. And your butt dyno is correct, this system makes power! 24 HP and 21 TQ!

If you had a quick second, would you be willing to copy and paste your impressions into a review for our website? It would really go a long way in assisting future customers with their buying experience. I appreciate it! Here's a link:

http://www.fabspeed.com/964-carrera-.../#write_review

As always, let me know if you need anything from me! Cell is always on and all contact info is below

Quick Reply: FabSpeed RSR install in my 964