UK - Local accelerometer swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 06:23 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UK - Local accelerometer swap

Hi,
Some people will remember that until the start of this year I had problems with my brakes - ABS would cut in too early and after a couple of seconds the ABS pretty much released the brakes altogether. JZM fixed it by cleaning out the longditudinal accelerometer.

Over the past few months, I've felt the ABS is cutting in too early again and I don't have anything like the braking power I did after JZMs fix. Driving my girlfriends Clio has convinced me that my brakes are misbehaving again (although nothing like as badly as they were). I will confirm this 100% over the weekend by pulling the fuse and doing a few brake tests but my guess is I will be able to stop a lot more quickly without the ABS enabled.

I am fairly certain it is the accelerometer which is causing the problem, because the brakes were definitely fixed when JZM cleaned this out before. However - I've opened it up and it looks OK, so I'm assuming I need a replacement. Before spending £400 on a new one - is anyone local to Surrey able to meet and briefly swap these over so I can try a couple of brake tests?
Old 12-06-2003, 07:19 AM
Christer
Race Car

You know I would, but it wouldn't be much use unless I stole a C4....

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that local to Surrey, but would be happy to help out if you're ever out this way.

Cheers
Old 12-07-2003, 06:58 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Cheers Phil.

After testing without the ABS fuse today I'm surprised to say there is nothing wrong with my brakes after all. I tried braking hard, but "not hard enough to cause the ABS to cut in" - and skidded down the road with all 4 tyres smoking...... Tried a few more runs and it seems my ABS is working fine and I'm simply braking too hard on cold roads.

Guess I just need to get used to the fact that it's not warm summer weather anymore!
Old 12-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave, If the ABS is cuttng in early it could be your tires are giving up on you. Out here it is my experience that age and heat does it rather than wear. So the threads may look fine but the grip is not there. YMMV

Enjoy

Nol
Old 12-08-2003, 04:00 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Hi,
I hope not - the tyres are about 6 weeks old!
Old 12-08-2003, 06:31 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

It could be that they are not properly scrubbed in yet. See if it improves after some more miles.

Andy

Quick Reply: UK - Local accelerometer swap