Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention RS America Owners is your car seam welded?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Roland 93
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WP0AB296XPS418128 -- rolled fenders, no seamwelds

Sorry, I'm late to this thread. I've enjoyed the interesting posts on RSAs. I bought mine because I couldn't find a non-sunroof C2, and the manual rack has always been my favorite part of driving 911s.

Adrian, what are some of the C4 parts on our cars?

Cheers
Roland
Old 12-30-2003, 04:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW,

I had a '94 RS America. No seam welds. Although at the time of purchase, the first owner was convinced there were seam welds under there somewhere as part of the RS-A lore and I was swaying to the rhythm. But no. And the fenders were square like any Carrera, so I had them rolled when the car was set up for the track. Also, the '94's had rear seats. Mine had a/c but thankfully no sunroof.

I regret selling the old girl.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:55 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Roland,
Put it up on a lifter and have a look at the suspension structural parts. You will see that some of some them have extra bits and holes in them filled when only you have a C4.
Bentley took a whole heap of photographs of them for my book. I haven't got time now but maybe when I get time I can dig them out (the ones I did not use) and post them.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-08-2004, 02:20 AM
Roland 93
Rennlist Member

Great info, Adrian... thanks!

cheers
Roland
Old 08-28-2004, 12:30 PM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I thought I'd revive an old thread, as I'm interested in getting an RSA. I'm looking at three low miles original condition cars. One is a higher VIN number and makes no representations about seam welding. The second one is a low number car with rolled fenders, wrinkle finish and black out paint, but no seam welding.The third one, with the lowest number claims to be seam welded but it has a sun roof.

Is any of this relevant to future value or should I stick to the usual issues of maintenance and update records, cosmetics and drive line condition when assessing the right purchase. Does having all options, LSD, air, sunroof and radio add value as in most collector cars? I'm interested in an occasional driver that will not go down too much in value, not a garage queen that is purely a speculative investment.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:52 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Ask for pictures of the seam-welding (then post them here). RSA's that come with LSD only, no sunroof, no radio and no AC are worth a tiny bit more than a heavily optioned RSA. If there is even a chance of you driving the car for more than an hour or two at a time during the summer I would try and find one with AC.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:55 PM
JoeW
Pro

I agree completely with Jason. There's no point in worrying about such things as seam welding ... not sure why they'd spend that effort in a stripped C2 (it's not like it was a true lightweight). And since an enjoyable drive in the car contradicts the collectible nature of a car, get one equipped so you will enjoy the ride. I don't think any of the 964s will depreciate a whole lot from where they are now, but you could make a good case for saying that the RSAs have held an inflated value in the market and may be due to take a hit. I don't know. And I don't care, really, as I want to enjoy the car for what it is rather than for how others perceive it. You sound like you have a similiar idea: be sure to get something you'll enjoy driving. (And at our latitude, that includes A/C for me!)

Joe
Old 08-29-2004, 12:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jgerken
I thought I'd revive an old thread.
I wish hadn't revived this thread

Perhaps you should ask Keith V at RSAmerica.net; I'm sure he could be of assistance.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:09 AM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Lewis,
Sorry if I brought up a sore subject.
JG
Old 08-29-2004, 11:26 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

JG,
Not a problem. I don't know if I could withstand another trip down the rathole of RSAmerica mythology. Those threads get tiring after a bit.
Of course if you do ever get a chance to drive an RSAmerica and an RS, there will be little doubt left that they are drastically different cars.

Find an RSA that you like, passes PPI, and just enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Attention RS America Owners is your car seam welded?