Sponsored by:

964 Rear Spoilers/wide body

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:12 PM
dfwtrader
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Rear Spoilers/wide body

Albeit a relative newbie to rennlist, I have been following the Porsche lines since about '86. I lost a bit of time while life was happening during the 964 period, however I have been looking to purchase some variation of 911-993 from '86-'98.

With that said I am pretty familiar with the pre 964 911s and the 993 variations of models with rear spoilers and wide (turbo look) variations.

Other than Turbo is there there a 964 wide body version? In addition was a whale tale, tea tray, 993 turbo tail or a c4s aerokit offered on the 964 as stock or a factory option? I have found a few with mod rear spoilers, but not original and they don't have the original deck lid/spoiler.

Just curious as as I have a sentimental affinity to the 86-98 models with the different spoilers and body styles, so any input from the RL experts would be appreciated.

-jb
Old 08-28-2017, 11:52 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Widebody C4s we're produced in 1994 only. Only about 260 or so in the US. No special wing. Perhaps, they can be considered the predecessor to the C4S cars that subsequently came into the later model lineup. This model was a bit of an afterthought by Porsche to use up the remaining turbo bodies. Likely a company response during the recession.

Also, there was the American Roadster that was a C2 cab wide body.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:37 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There also were 964 models with Factory fixed rear tail: the Euro-only lightweight Carrera RS and then a USA-only version also weight-reduced designated RS America.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by ezinternet
There also were 964 models with Factory fixed rear tail: the Euro-only lightweight Carrera RS and then a USA-only version also weight-reduced designated RS America.
These were not widebody cars. The ROW did receive the 3.8RS and the racing version 3.8RSR. these had a one piece bi-wing.

I styled my track car after the 3.8RS. The wheels are the factory Speedlines that they came with. The factory did not use CF parts back then either.

There was also a 94 turbo S Flachbau and package car which used the largest single piece tail on a street car. These are very rare and have to be seen to be appreciated. I have the last known turbo S factory wing in its original gel coat. I believe it is the only one in existence however RUF used this wing as well and they were reproduced in large quantities by several aftermarket suppliers.

you can learn more about the Turbo S here www.flacbau.com and the widebody N/A cars here http://www.turbo-look.com

There is a link for the 92 ROW turbo S on the flachbau site which used a one piece wing similar to the one used on the US RS America however it was all glass and the sides extended further forward.

Here is a picture of the 94 turbo S tail and an aftermarket version of the 3.8RS bi-wing.
Attached Images   

Last edited by cobalt; 09-07-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:18 PM
RAASpeedster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 1994 Carrera 4 Widebody Coupe had a retractable spoiler like the other 964 narrow bodied cars. I had a duck tail made for mine to be a little different. I have kept the original deck lid in case I ever want to go back to original. I also bought a set of 18" Speedlines since I really like them compared to the Cup 1 wheels that are original
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Trapps (12-11-2022)
Old 09-07-2017, 10:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAASpeedster
The 1994 Carrera 4 Widebody Coupe had a retractable spoiler like the other 964 narrow bodied cars. I had a duck tail made for mine to be a little different. I have kept the original deck lid in case I ever want to go back to original. I also bought a set of 18" Speedlines since I really like them compared to the Cup 1 wheels that are original
That's a good look!!!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I styled my track car after the 3.8RS. The wheels are the factory Speedlines that they came with. The factory did not use CF parts back then either.
Isn't it carbon kevlar from the factory ? Mine is a fibreglass DP Motorsports item, never weighed it but it does feel heavy. Came across a carbon kevlar item from an RSR a couple of months ago but couldn't really justify the expense (was up for $3k).
Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Talat
Isn't it carbon kevlar from the factory ? Mine is a fibreglass DP Motorsports item, never weighed it but it does feel heavy. Came across a carbon kevlar item from an RSR a couple of months ago but couldn't really justify the expense (was up for $3k).
AFAIK the tails were fiber glass and the hoods were Carbon Kevlar.

Unless you are building a true clone you can by carbon fiber instead and save weight and money. Although original factory RS/RSR parts for the right price make nice garage wall art and may someday be worth a bit more to a collector.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:08 AM
dmon
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats you have my dream car, looks amazing.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:20 PM
RAASpeedster
Rennlist Member

It is a great car. Took it out yesterday for a spin. Putting PSS10 Coilovers on next to lower to RS +10.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:03 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

That's a great look! Where dd the ducktail come from? Was it based on an available pattern or wing?
Old 12-12-2022, 01:02 PM
RAASpeedster
Rennlist Member

I bought a 964 deck lid from a dismantler in San Diego and had it shipped to Stratton motorsports in Florida. They cut out some of the metal and put the ducktail on in fiberglass. As a result the fit is great. Came back to me ready to paint and mount on the car.

Quick Reply: 964 Rear Spoilers/wide body