Sponsored by:

Anti theft methods

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:19 AM
backitoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti theft methods

Citychap26 recently had his car stolen and it has made me a bit paranoid about my own car.
Like his, My car lives outside most of the time so I have been trying to think of something to make it as hard as possible for thieves.
I want to fit a simple immobiliser, but feel the need to do something more.
I have a serious dislike of alarms so was wondering what else I could do?
What do you have? Any suggestions?
Old 08-27-2017, 06:59 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Good steering wheel lock of hardened steel. Hooks over steering wheel and brake pedal.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Removable steering wheel - put the steering on full lock before removing the wheel for added pita.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:21 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a relay that often leaves 964 owners stranded, a good use for a broken one is to use it as an anti theft device! (or just remove the working one and put it in your pocket).

There are lots of easy ways to prevent a car from starting, do a few of them and you can reduce the chances of the car being driven away. The best ones are where you leave things looking like they are still attached but not connected as they will be overlooked by a panicking car thief.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:13 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

While better than nothing, anything commercially available will unfortunately only deter the common petty thief. Pros who have targeted your car will bring a flatbed and haul it away in less than 5 minutes. They look inconspicuous the average passer by and they have successfully been doing it that way for decades.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:45 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The pro thief will be able to bypass virtually all measures. But it's about the additional headache you can produce for the thief by adding layers of protection that will add time to stealing your car, making it "not worth it." Some items that help are removable steering wheel, fuel pump cutoff switch or delayed immobilizer, remove dme relay everytime your leave your car, and LoJack. There are also gps units now that will cut off the fuel pump when you send a signal to it and track your car. Lojack also offers an early detection module that alerts you as soon as your car is moving away from a key fob. In California, lojack is very popular, especially because vehicle location is immediately transmitted to the police and because of its high vehicle recovery rate within the first 2 hours. I researched all the options before settling on my antitheft routine.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:25 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Having lived through this, I would also suggest the lowjack approach.

You would be amazed at how fast and without bother a pro will steal one of these cars. And most likely only a pro will be stealing a 964, someone out for a joyride most likely looking for something else.
If you do have to keep it outside the steering wheel QD is a good option to discourage an attempt to minimize damage from the outset. The antitheft steering lock bars are good in concept but a hack saw makes fast work of the steering wheel and then it just falls off...

besides with the lowjack you also have the potential of catching the bastards...
Old 08-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,123 Posts

If they want it, they'll get it. The most sophisticated thiefs can bypass anything, they can also jam or detect cellular trackers and other similar systems.

It's not uncommon to have them stolen out of garages here too.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:15 PM
apanossi
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

All that anyone needs to defeat the tech antitheft devices is to go into a subterranean parking garage. Signals can also be jammed by aluminum foil or a Faraday cage, assuming they are clever enough. But you're hoping they don't anticipate these devices, and never ever advertise (as a deterrent) that they are installed.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 PM
P964nut
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Agree that a determined and savvy thief will find a way to remove a car. I'm working through a 964 renovation currently and have fitted a cat 1 immobiliser/alarm combined and separate GPS tracking. Obviously make sure that your insurance valuation is up to date.
A couple of ideas beyond the obvious...
Paint your post/zip code with a permanent UV marker pen onto several parts of the car, so that in the event of it getting broken up there may be a way to at least catch the thieves later.
Position one GPS tracker to be easily found and another one properly tucked away. Once the thieves have had the first one off the car, they can get careless.

Quick Reply: Anti theft methods