targa top is old and cracked

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 09:51 PM
targatime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy targa top is old and cracked

I have a C4 90 Targa. The car is in terrific shape, but the top has seen better days. This summer, while folding it up on a nice hot day, the outer skin cracked. The headliner is also stretched out.

I'm looking for input on what this might cost to repair, and where I can go to have the work done. I have a experienced trim shop in town that has done quite a few restorations on valuable older cars..any thought on taking it to a place like this.

Anything I need to watch out for??? Help!!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:14 PM
investlt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

targatime,

Welcome. Here is an article found on Pelican Parts that might be of interest to you:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...op_recover.htm

Also, if you go to google you will find places in Colorado and California that repair targa tops. Cost for these services is around $200 to 400. Take measurements of your opening, diagonals, since it might not be the same as when your car was brand new.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Jeff Midili
Advanced

I think you will find those prices are closer to $500 - $750++ depending on whether it is a generic 'recover' or if any additional repairs need to be performed.

Be warned on the 'how to' guides, they are accurate for pre-1989 tops, and while the steps are very similiar, I have run into one major difference with my top.

I'm currently trying to recover my top and what I have found is that the 7 3mm screws that are holding the rain gutters on are almost impossible to remove. The reason they are so hard to remove is that apparently some of the glue that is used in the process of creating the top are on the threads. Since it is only a 3mm screw you don't get a very big head to work with.

I've got one screw out no problem, have broken several heads of the screws trying to use a screw extractor and will probably have to drill them out and re-tap. I'm thinking of taking the top to a welder and see if they can weld some bolts onto the heads of the remaining screws so I can use a socket to get them out.

The how-to guides make it look simple, and if it weren't the problem I'm having it probably would be. It might be worth while to remove the side seal and access the rain gutter screws and see if you can get them off. If you are having problems then it is definately worth while looking into a professional job, unless your really good at getting small, stubborn, screws out....

I know people who have spoken highly of http://www.carsinc-nj.com/targa.html, but when you read the website they only reference working on pre-1990 cars, not sure if they do our tops or not.

Let us know what you decide.

And while we are on the topic, have any of the 964 owners done a targa top recovering? Did you get screwed by the screws, or is it just me??

Jeff
Old 12-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan Patchel does outstanding (perfect?) work, and knows Targa tops about as well as anyone. Not all that cheap, though. A "Level 1" reskin w/headliner runs $595:

http://carsinc-nj.com/

Do be careful with who you trust for this job, or if you do it yourself. You don't want a poorly done recovering (e.g., wind noise that sounds like Niagara Falls landing on your roof).
Old 12-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Follow-up to Jeff's post. Dan Patchel definitely works on our tops--he did mine (perfect work).

I once paid a local ("generic") upholstery shop to recover my top--at $175, a very attractive price. Wasted my money....
Old 12-04-2003, 04:03 AM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave Brown in Boulder, Colorado is highly regarded for his Targa restoration work as well. He has been in business for almost 30 years !! Give him a call, He will send you an excellent information package on his services. His Telephone number is (303) 499-0110. Regards, Brady

Quick Reply: targa top is old and cracked