Old 12-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning Adrian,

>Do you like strawberry hats or?

LOL!

Sorry, no hat eating without a Porsche part # unique to the 94/95 993. Which would be different than the previously discussed 95-98 993 CCU with a 01 suffix, and the 94 and earlier (993-prefix) CCU with a 00 suffix.

Speaking of the 993... As you know, Adrian, there were major changes made in the HVAC in '95. The rear blower layout was changed from the 964 style to the later-model 993 style. This new blower incorporated a "rear shift valve" which allows the rear blower to suck air from above the engine, as opposed to directly from the main fan. A vacuum capsule with bypass air-flaps was also added in model year '95. This $%# vacuum control gives 993 owners new problems that us 964 owners never have to deal with (as if it wasn't bad enough already).

A note for Howard (if you're still reading ). If you're looking at used/refurbished CCUs, you might come across one with the same part number as your existing (964 prefix, presumably) CCU, but with an 01 suffix. If you do, this unit will work in your car, provided you install the jumper that has been discussed in depth above.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:48 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Randall, I appreciate the updated info - and yes I am looking. What MY, model, LHD/RHD car would the CCU with the 01 prefix have come from? Reason for asking is that often on Ebay and the dismantle sites they only give this data and not the part #.

Cheers,

--HB
Old 12-06-2003, 03:12 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Adrain,

I don't want to get nasty and personal. I don't want to waste other peoples time, I just want to be helpfull as you do. I have a question now and then as everybody has.

If you feel yourself attacked by me, so the only thing I can do is say SORRY.
May be that will feel better for you.

I will count to ten, take a deep breath and go on.
May be we go each other out of the way for a few weeks, we see what happens in a couple of weeks.

NOTE: I DON'T WANT TO HURT YOU OR OTHERWISE GET PERSONAL WITH YOU. I JUST WANT A NICE AND COMFORTABLE RENNLIST, ALSO WITH YOU.

So, if I got to far, sorry for that.

Nice weekend, and
Old 12-06-2003, 04:28 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Arjan,
Accepted and everything back to normal,
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-06-2003, 04:34 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Howard,
You need to take extreme care otherwise you are going to be lumbered. Let me tell you that the control units offered on ebay are all the people who have purchased the wrong units and they do not work in their 964s. Maybe not all but a good slice of them.
I cannot stress the importance of getting the correct unit for your auto. I know a number of people who are stuck with these 993 series -01 units because they do not work in their 964s. Mainly RHD to be sure.
You must get the WHOLE part number. I would not touch a -01 with a ten foot barge pole personally. You will see some of them in my book that people are lumbered with.
They may and I say may, work in a LHD 964. However I have visual as well as written evidence to say they do not work in some RHDs.
There are four versions of every control unit which ar eidentified by their part number,
RHD with aircon
RHD without aircon
LHD with aircon
LHD withput aircon.
Take care and make sure you get the part number before you purchase and remember why most of them are on ebay. Do not add yourself to the list.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: RHD units do not work in LHD and vice versa by the way.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Howard,

Despite my listing information on used/refurbished 964 CCUs above, I wholeheartedly agree with Adrian in avoiding used CCUs. Refurbished by a place such as Ottos of Venice perhaps, but not used off of ebay. Likewise, used units from wrecking yards--how do they test the unit to make sure it's fully functional? I doubt they have an electronics expert on the premises, or a 964 available for testing. I imagine they pull it out of a wrecked car, and assume it's okay.

If your pockets are deep enough, you might consider calling one of the discount Porsche dealers, to see what sort of price they'll sell you a new CCU for. Places such as Sunset, Hendrick or Reeves Porsche. Sunset will definitely sell it to you for cost + 15% + shipping (which puts it at about $850 + shipping, last I checked), if you ask for the Excellence magazine discount. Hendrick or Reeves may possibly be lower, though they may also be higher. At $850, still not cheap, but a whole lot more palatable than full list price (some $1250).

An -01 suffix CCU will work in your car, if the part number starts with 964. And, of course, assuming it's not a CCU for a non-AC or RHD car. Again, as we've written before, a CCU such as this would require the G1 to G19 jumper.

As Adrian has already written, 993 prefix, -01 suffix = bad for your 964. 993 prefix, 00 suffix = good for your 964 (when combined with the G1-G19 jumper, and assuming it's LHD/AC). If you buy a new CCU from a dealer in the US, he will sell you a LHD AC model that starts with 993 and ends with 00. Porsche no longer sells a 964 CCU with 964 prefix. They all start with 993.

Do you have enough information yet?
Old 12-07-2003, 04:53 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

ADRIAN,

OK
Old 12-08-2003, 01:46 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Kahdmus
Thanks Randall, I appreciate the updated info - and yes I am looking.
What MY, model, LHD/RHD car would the CCU with the 01 prefix have come
from? Reason for asking is that often on Ebay and the dismantle sites they
only give this data and not the part #.

Cheers,

--HB
A CCU from any model year 964 will work in your car--assuming it's from a LHD AC car (as discussed above). If it's anything other than the original 964 prefix, 00 suffix CCU, you'll need the G1 to G19 jumper.

I'm not sure when Porsche starting installing the 964 prefix, 01 suffix CCUs. PET shows the 964/01 CCU starting in '91, but I have a 11/00 build '91, and it originally came with a 964/00 CCU. As did a friend's '91 C2 Targa. So, I imagine Porsche used up the 964/00 stock in non-turbo cars, then started installing 964/01 (turbo-compatible) CCUs when the supply ran out. Which is purely conjecture on my part.

Similarly, I don't know when the 964/01 unit was superseded by the 993/00 unit. This is a double (MAX AC) button unit, so it may have been late in 964 production, as Adrian suggests. I doubt the 964/01 unit has a MAX AC button (Adrian?).

As Adrian has written, you're going to want the whole part # anyway, just to make sure you're getting the correct unit.

All this said, please see the above cautions on buying a CCU from Ebay or a dismantler. Your choice here...

Heck, as long as I'm typing. The shortened time-line of 964 CCUs:

-964 prefix, 00 suffix = 964/00

Superseded by:

964/01

Superseded by:

993/00.

Which is the current model your dealer will sell you.

A pic of the top of my old CCU (incidentally, if you lived closer, you would be welcome to test this unit in your car--its only fault is not starting the oil cooler fan automatically). My car currently has the 993/00 unit.

Last edited by Randall G.; 12-08-2003 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:31 PM
richardheggie
5th Gear

Happy Christmas Adrian & Arjan....Now calm down guys...tis the season to be jolly!!

Only just taken delivery of my Xmas present to myself ..a 91 targa in Baltic Blue and after only ONE day been down to the fabulously helpful guys down at 9Meister...no irony please ..they are the best...but the comment on opening the engine hatch was " sensible guy unhitching that useless aircon" "Should I get it fixed?" came the gullible reply.." Nah...waste of money!"

Can't wait to get your book Adrian...seen a preview from Roly Baldwin....who introduced me to the 911 magic...I just cannot imagine how you find time to go to work and also do the ironing...tips please!!

Richard
Old 12-25-2003, 05:58 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Richard,
I work fulltime from home now. I just write and do housework to help my family. The housework is something I enjoy doing to relax the mind.
The biggest tip of all is, do not take work too seriously. Believe me in the end nobody cares.
Follow your own dreams not others. You can do a lot of dreaming when hanging up the washing.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

All this started with a simple question as to sourcing a rebuilder?
I'm glad he didn't ask what time it was......he would have gotten instructions on how to build a clock.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Such a long thread with very little info provided. Check out this
website (www.systemsc.com) on the Technical page under
Climate Control Units. The Parts page provides info on the
various CCU part numbers. The Failures page lists the typical
CCU failure mode. Most of the other common climate control
problems relate to bad electric servo motors for the flaps.

As stated previously, avoid using the 993 CCU in the 964.
Also, buying these units on eBay is a waste of time and money.
As I've experienced, you never know what you're going to
receive after you buy on eBay.

Have Fun
Loren
'88 3.2
Old 12-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Lorenfb
Such a long thread with very little info provided.
Loren...I appreciate your professional opinion very much, and the from-experience information you post (it's great to have!). But, have some tact, will ya'? There's lots of great information in this thread.

Originally posted by Lorenfb
avoid using the 993 CCU in the 964.
You're going to confuse people here. Remember, if they buy a new CCU for their 964 from the dealer, it will start with 993. Porsche no longer sells a 964 prefix CCU. They need to avoid the CCU starting with 993 and ending in 01 (this is the 993 model specific CCU).

Nice website, btw. But, your parts page gives the impression that the 993 prefix, 00 suffix CCU fits a 95+ 993. Or, similarly, that it isn't for a 964.

Last edited by Randall G.; 12-27-2003 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

From PET:

Old 12-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

First, I re-read this thread and my headache came back from having read it
the first time. As I initially said, very LITTLE info. It appears that no real
problem solving has occurred, since Burgass has not indicated a fix yet.

Second, I checked my PET (ver 5.5) and it indicates;

1. the 964 659 047 00 is for 964 '90, the 964 659 047 01 is for '91 & later
2. the 993 659 047 00 is for 993 '94, the 993 659 047 01 is for '95 & later.
I haven't installed the later Pet (ver 6) and maybe there's an error in ver 6.

Third, my local Porsche Factory Dealer always requests that I provide the
964 part and not the 993 part when suppying rebuilts.

Fourth, one of my customers has ordered a NEW 964 part number from
a Porsche dealer per his customer's request w/o any problems. It's
always much less than the 993 partand still available.

As has been mentioned and as can be seen on the 993 CCU, it has two
AC control buttons and probably other incompatiable functions. Unless
you've totally verified COMPLETE interchangeability of the 964 & 993
units w/o electrical mods, I wouldn't advise using the 993 - 00 in a 964.

But, if you are one who has a lot of free time and money to play with,
then by all means buy and use the 993 unit. I would suggest, though,
that you use the Hammer to verify that no fault codes exit when installed
in a 964.

Have Fun
Loren
'88 3.2

Quick Reply: Climate control unit problems and repair