Sponsored by:

Leaky Targa

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 07:27 AM
BLUE C2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Targa

The roof on my ’89 C2 Targa leaks from the driver’s side rear edge leaving drops of water on the side trim, seat belt and a small damp patch on the rear carpet. It only leaks when standing (i.e. not when driving). The amount of water coming in is not huge but it causes the windows to mist up so I need the blower and heated rear window on most of the time. The previous owner had the outer and inner covering replaced and they are in good condition. I think it is the side seal that needs to be replaced. The rear seal also looks a bit suspect as it does not appear to be very well glued in. I’d like to have a go at fixing the leak myself. Has anyone attempted a seal change and if so what is involved?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:52 PM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

Hello Blue C2,

You will probably be able to fix your leak without replacing the seal. Targas leak at the corners because the rain gutters don't form a very good seal with the vinyl (against which they seat) at each end. You should be able to use some black silicon sealant without having to dismantle the sides to prevent the rain coming in.

I think the reason this happens when you're stationary is that the wind doesn't blow the rain straight off the gutter - it gets a chance to dribble down.

You might also consider regluing the seals (the large rubber blocks) at each end. You don't need to remove them completely to do that but they can easily come unstuck with use.

Now if you're really keen and want to replace the seal:

- remove the rubber strips that runs along each side
- under the 4 screws that hold the aluminium rail to the frame
- carefully unstick the seal ends
- remove the aluminium rail and seal in one
- separate the two, carefully (using talc helps here) relocate the new seal in the groove of the aluminium rail
- reverse the process
- before you tighten the rail screws, refit the roof to the car and place the seal for minimum road noise
- send a PM if you need a hand

Hope it helps,
Old 12-04-2003, 05:14 AM
BLUE C2
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply Roly. The next fine day we get I’ll have a go at re-sticking my existing seals. The smell of damp carpet is starting to annoy me now.
I noticed yesterday that the rear seal is unstuck in a couple of places which will be allowing the rear seal location to fill with water, so I’ll remove, clean and re-seal it at the same time. Did you use the normal DIY store type black RTV sealant or Sikaflex?
Great looking Targa by the way. I wanted the light blue (is it called Minerva?) too but my Marine blue C2 was all I could find at the time I was buying.
Thanks again.
Blue C2

Quick Reply: Leaky Targa