Sponsored by:

Hmmmm.... oil leak after service :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Gasket....

I did some gasket in the 2 rims of the shaft, and wiped all the 'too much' gasket off with degreaser, so never any gasket will come in contact with the rocker.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Red face Forgot picture....

Here it is
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 05:14 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Default End of the shaft

At last, the end of the shaft will be getting some gasket. This is the only wy not to get any gasket in the oil system.

The gasket I use will give no problems if it should come into the oil, only the parts where oxygen is gone will be harder.
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 05:18 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Exclamation Double check everything.....

After checking all bolts and valv adjusment [still fine] I mark things, In case I have to go somewhere during s a job......
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Exclamation Oil after job done.....

After all the rockers reworked, I put some oil on all of them. The first rotations the camshaft and rockers [degreased] will not have oil from the engine it self, that's why I put some oil everywhere.
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Question Now we have to wait for the result......

Now I have to wait what happens. I hope the job did solve the problem, Otherwise I have to order the Seal rings from the USA, and start all over again...........

Head up, and thrust on it.

See you around.
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 10:04 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts
Wink

Hey Arjan, thanks again for sharing your experience. Can you tell us what type/brand and properties of the gasket material you used - such as temperature limits, setting type, etc. It's interesting that the 964 does not have the rubber rocker shaft seals...

Let us know if the leak is gone!
Old 12-08-2003, 04:50 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

The gasket is a engine rebuilders choice, such as Loctite. It can last high engine temps, precise data I have to ask.
The Material works where ogygen is gone, and will seal off that area. All the too much gasket wil stay soft and "if" there should come some gasket in the oil system, then it will not block any oil circuit area.
It works in a minute for a pressure, and after 5 hours it will last a 5 bar pressure. In 12 hour is't 100% o.k.

If the rockers has te be removed some time, it is possible without any big resistance.

These type of gasket is also used for Volvo, they have a complex oil system and special valve head cover wher you have to use such gasket material.
It's safe to use, and works fine as long you DEGREASE surfaces first for 100%.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:47 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Are these the sealing rings?

Arjan,

I can't see any mention of these parts in the write up, nor in any of the photo's, are they the sealing rings? parts 4&5
I couldn't see anyway of securing the rocker shaft (Axle) to the head carrier neither, or did I miss something.

Kevin
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2003, 11:24 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Number 3, 4 and 5 are going thru the shaft [6], tighten them and the shaft will clamp in the head. Porsche says 5 NM torque, but that's too less for re installing, then they will leak for sure.

4 and 5 aro NO sealing rings, you don't need any sealing rings there, both sides will com out in the spark plug area. The shaft needs to be seales on the surface which makes contact with the head it self.

This is a VERY BAD contruction. Porsche did not think about that part well.

I hear from different sources that if you use the "American" seal rings, the rockers will be hard to remove afterwards. Porsche does'nt sell those seal rings.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:27 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Arjan,

as you say, poor design.

Kevin
Old 12-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Oh, and if the shafts will leak, oil goes under the valve head cover to the cooling rims on the lowes part of the engine [see picture]. The valve head cover seals are not covering that part.

I drove a Autobahn this morning [day off today] some time 200 km/h for a wile, but so far I see no leaks....................... Let's wait a while.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

All this damnn work because of tighten no.7 and no.8 from the pic. to hard...... Damnn Italians...
Old 12-08-2003, 12:14 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Those rocker shafts are supposed to expand slightly when the rocker shaft bolts are tightened, and that is what is "supposed" to seal those off. They usually do a good job of sealing, but I guess they do leak enough to have necessitated the special seals available only in the US for some reason...

I like your method of sealing off the rockers without the use of the seals. The advantage of using the seals, if available, is that you do not need to remove the rocker shaft to install them, thus leaving in all rocker arms which makes this procedure easier. Only the rocker allen bolt and the other half need to come out. Just a thought...
Old 12-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Sorry Garret,

Both seal options needs to remove the shafts.... cilinder 1,3,4 and 6 have no space left for placing the rings without removing them. Otherwise, why mess around for 5 minutes extra work, removing the shafts is very easy, put the rocker in rest position, and it come out very easy.
In my sealing way, you have to remove all the shafts anyway because of the very,very good degrease process. NO oil may be left in this area.

Quick Reply: Hmmmm.... oil leak after service :(