Looking at 90 C2-Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 06:32 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Eddie et al,

The list of problems under the car was extensive. Bear in mind that the bodywork and interior were pristine-in fact one of the nicest I have seen. Partial list from the PPI-and remember they only look at the surface for the $132 charge, all CV boots were dry, shifter bushings and possibly other parts needed replacement (minimum 5 hours labor), car stalled frequently, warning alarm engaged frequently, accelerator cable was spliced together, rear wheels had different number of spacers on each side, and a few minor issues like no under engine plate which I already was informed of- owner had it but had been told it would increase cooling if removed. That last is not necessarily true since there are one or two NACA ducts to bring the air in (for those in fluid dynamics that is simplistic-I know). The advice was to run, not walk, from the deal.

I am pursuing two other examples so I'll post with the ongoing story-and change my screen name when I find the right one, as my wonderful 944 was sold three weeks ago.

Al
Old 12-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Al:

Sounds like you made the right choice by running from this car. Well worth the money you spent on the PPI.

Just for future reference as you look at other cars: Though others may disagree, removing the underside engine pan is not necessarily a bad thing. Some feel that engine cooling is enhanced with the pan off. And, for a street driven car (here in the US), removing the engine pan probably doesn't negatively affect the aerodynamics of the car all that much.

The first thing I did when I got my new to me '90 home, was to jack the car up and yank off the engine pan and put it in my tool shed. If anything, it allows me to clean better and to inspect the lower section of the engine much easier on a regular basis.

Jay
90 964
Old 12-05-2003, 07:21 PM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

If you plan on tracking the car definitely remove the pan to allow for better cooling and lower oil temps as i have now done on my 90 c2. Also vent the distributor as discussed in the forums here
Old 12-06-2003, 03:37 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Coming from the front engined water cooled set there have also been extensive discussions about removing the engine pan. With the 944 series the cooling seems better due to Porsche's design with the pan on.

I have found two others as I mentioned. (Why when we are ready is there always a need to find a good one this fast-it's going into storage immediately?) The one I prefer will have a PPI after the Blizzard at Rennwerke in Elmsford NY. They came highly recommended by a lister. It's a 92 C2 Cab. We'll see-and many thanks for all of your advice and feedback.

Al

Quick Reply: Looking at 90 C2-Need advice