Sponsored by:

Question for those who have removed Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Default Question for those who have removed Sunroof

Question: (I haven't even talked to my shop yet about this I'm sure they know the answer!)

I've bought a non-sunroof OEM headliner. Good quality it seems, matches factory. Dansk brand.

Anyway, do I need the bows? Or were they in the original? I'm buying parts the shop may need... Ok i should talk to them first.

My question is basically with the sunroof mechanism fully removed if there is any funkiness to installing the factor non-sunroof headliner I need to be aware of.

We'll be using a real interior guy to fit the carpets and do the headliner due to the cage, etc.

Oh, on the process: hand forming a metal panel fully welded all around. The fabricator does work for a porsche fabricator you've all heard of. It'll be completely smooth all metal filled and need NO filler for paint. The inside brackets, etc will be cut out. I opted for this process vs. installed a full new skin panel which would have about doubled the already insane price :-)

Thanks

Last edited by Spyerx; 08-19-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I know on the earlier 911s there are different shaped bows for the sunroof versus non sunroof. So the headliner might require a different bow for it to fit properly.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Yeah, i know. The PET isn't always clear on this stuff either. Option M650 is sunroof.
You can see all the bow parts only list "coupe" not 650. So it may be on all of them.
I'll have shop look in the real parts catalog with a non-sunroof VIN.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:01 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

anyone?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:59 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

rather than use a stock headliner I had Perlon glued to the roof, not as finished but I'm ok w/ it

Old 08-22-2017, 10:40 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes you will need the bows; they go thru loops in the headliner and tension it upwards. Flat out will droop on your head without it.

If you did a full skin I would have just painted it or direct glue as above, but any little bump at the welded seam will show so you will need the factory headliner.

I went Fiberglas on the race car, looks great painted, the seam is hidden behind the roof rails so very clean and a little lighter.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:09 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

If you haven't received sufficient response as of yet , my GT had the SR deleted and we did install a non sunroof headliner by a competent local
upholsterer that has quite a lot of Porsche experience and I think if anything
they added one ceiling bow but do not quote me , this time I had an entire
skin from an earlier no sunroof car.
The second time on my RS Homage the opening was welded shut with a piece
fabbed by my guy on his new wheel ...
RSCS style so no liner likely just will glue some Perlon up there for sound ...
Bert
Old 08-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

ok, I do need to get the bows + bits for the HL it seems. Will make it work. SR being fabbed as we speak
Old 08-24-2017, 02:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 188 Posts

A properly installed headliner is a work of art. It makes the cabin.

1) Is all the glass out? If not, your headliner will not fit properly.

2) The remanufactured bows that you buy from Porsche are too long. They need to be trimmed to fit properly. It's a known issue and Porsche hasn't done anything about it. Make your installer aware, it will save them hours of head scratching.

3) Make sure your shop glues a thick foam pad to the inside of the roof skin. It will prevent rattles and will also prevent the bows from rotating. Otherwise they will. It's just a matter of when.

Check my IG I actually just posted some pics of my headliner install last night.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:24 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the headliner from fenn lane when I got my blanking panel. The headliner came with a full set of the rods and was a direct fit with no mods required. I fully expected to just use the liner as a template to have my own made but the quality was spot on so i never bothered. It looks factory and fits perfectly. It was also cheap as chips which is why I expected it to be not up to standard but I was wrong!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
A properly installed headliner is a work of art. It makes the cabin.

1) Is all the glass out? If not, your headliner will not fit properly.

2) The remanufactured bows that you buy from Porsche are too long. They need to be trimmed to fit properly. It's a known issue and Porsche hasn't done anything about it. Make your installer aware, it will save them hours of head scratching.

3) Make sure your shop glues a thick foam pad to the inside of the roof skin. It will prevent rattles and will also prevent the bows from rotating. Otherwise they will. It's just a matter of when.

Check my IG I actually just posted some pics of my headliner install last night.
Cool. Glass is all out. Interior will be done by a guy that is very familiar with porsches. What type of foam did you put in ?
Old 08-25-2017, 01:46 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 188 Posts

1/2" thick plastazote pad.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
1/2" thick plastazote pad.